2019 GT feels sluggish!

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
I know this has been answered many times however I still feel that my manual 2019 GT feels slow / sluggish when starting from a red light for an example. Only has 7k miles. I feel like the only way I can make it go faster is when I rev it hard however I feel like that's too much to do every time starting from a stop position. There's only so much you can do to rev and shift quicker like it's tiring after a while. Not complaining just expressing.

Sometimes I feel that cars with less powerful engines can easily tailgate me or even overtake me because they feel like I'm going so slow when moving the car from standstill. Is it because I got a manual transmission, should I have gotten an automatic?

How are you guys feeling about your car in low RPM range, and any tips you guys can give me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I know this has been answered many times however I still feel that my manual 2019 GT feels slow / sluggish when starting from a red light for an example. I feel like the only way I can make it go faster is when I rev it hard however I feel like that's too much to do every time starting from a stop position. There's only so much you can do to rev and shift quicker like it's tiring after a while. Not complaining just expressing.

Sometimes I feel that cars with less powerful engines can easily tailgate me or even overtake me because they feel like I'm going so slow when moving the car from standstill. Is it because I got a manual transmission, should have got in an automatic? How are you guys feeling about your car in low RPM range, and any tips you guys can give me.
can it be that your clutch is slipping?
I have an A10 and while on normal with traction on it does take some high rpms to get it going but when on sport or track it is quicker

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Maybe set up a camera and film a few starts? I don't squeal my tires on launches, and I can be buttery smooth and engage at 630 RPM or let it slip a bit starting out at 1500. But the Coyote isn't producing much power until I dunno, 2700 or so - so even if you let out the clutch and floor it at 1000 RPM you aren't going to feel it until it gets into the power band some. You should get moving at 2500, and things should start to get mean at 4000.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I know this has been answered many times however I still feel that my manual 2019 GT feels slow / sluggish when starting from a red light for an example. I feel like the only way I can make it go faster is when I rev it hard however I feel like that's too much to do every time starting from a stop position. There's only so much you can do to rev and shift quicker like it's tiring after a while. Not complaining just expressing.

Sometimes I feel that cars with less powerful engines can easily tailgate me or even overtake me because they feel like I'm going so slow when moving the car from standstill. Is it because I got a manual transmission, should have got in an automatic? How are you guys feeling about your car in low RPM range, and any tips you guys can give me.

.... based on the cars in your sig (okay... with one exception), I have no doubt you are missing some big V8 torque off the line through those torque multiplying automatic transmissions.

It's a far different power delivery than those other V8s... 4500+ is where the power really comes on.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
What tires and how's the tread look? My mt82 feels very sluggish once my mp4s's hit about 4-5/32". Above 5/32s it takes off at the light like a bat out of hell. I'm on my 3rd set of rear tires and had the same experience all three times.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
can it be that your clutch is slipping?
I have an A10 and while on normal with traction on it does take some high rpms to get it going but when on sport or track it is quicker
I don't think it's the clutch because I've always baby the car and only has 7,000 miles on it. Maybe it's a base model and I don't have any driving modes?

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
What tires and how's the tread look? My mt82 feels very sluggish once my mp4s's hit about 4-5/32". Above 5/32s it takes off at the light like a bat out of hell. I'm on my 3rd set of rear tires and had the same experience all three times.
Tread is almost brand new. The car only has 7K miles and I mostly done highway driving. If I can describe it the first to second gear I feel like it's very sluggish but then after that it picks up the speed really well.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
.... based on the cars in your sig (okay... with one exception), I have no doubt you are missing some big V8 torque off the line through those torque multiplying automatic transmissions.

It's a far different power delivery than those other V8s... 4500+ is where the power really comes on.
I think you nailed it on that thought. This is my first manual V8, and maybe I'm so used to the low end torque. Plus in my muscle memory I'm not used to reving my cars.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
This is my first manual V8, and maybe I'm so used to the low end torque. Plus in my muscle memory I'm not used to reving my cars.
Get used to revving it. Low end torque is not what you have. Now, add a blower, and it's a different story...

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I think you nailed it on that thought. This is my first manual V8, and maybe I'm so used to the low end torque. Plus in my muscle memory I'm not used to reving my cars.
Part of the fun of the coyote engine is second gear and nailing it at 4000 RPM to 7500 and then into third. In an odd way that slight momentary anticipation building in acceleration is pretty cool. Much different than LSx engines (was going to do a C5Z or LS3 C6) but this engine really is awesome to wring out.

As was mentioned the Roush kit will give you that insanity down low you may be missing. Like me, I don’t expect much from first until 4500 then each shift is in that same power band and is way fun.

This is exactly what the 1998 camaro / firebird owners were experiencing when changing from LT1 engines in the same car. They were so mad the car felt super slow - compared to the torque of the 93-97 LT1. Until the first few hit the drag strip and ran mid 12s stock …. Then the complaining stopped. :)

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I don't think it's the clutch because I've always baby the car and only has 7,000 miles on it. Maybe it's a base model and I don't have any driving modes?
if I’m not mistaken you do have modes, all mustangs do. What you may not have is active exhaust that is tie to your modes.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I guess my first question is, what exactly are you doing? Like mashing the pedal at a green? Because we know how that can turn out....

This was posted on the Mach subforum, it compares a 2021 GT to a 2021 Mach on a dyno run. The GT really doesn't have a ton of power at low RPM's (of course coming from a Miata, 'a ton' is very much a relative term)

1630712902811.png

Per this you really need to get the revs up a bit before power kicks in. If you want to replicate the Mach's curve, I'm pretty sure the biggest difference is the GT350 air intake and throttle body, which I would imagine shouldn't be all that difficult to replace/install since the GT/Mach/GT350 share so much commonality.

EDIT: Here's a link to said parts for $1k

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...kit-procal-4-mustang-gt-2018-2020/p/M9603M8B/

Last edited:

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
What's the stock gear ratio on a non PP MT GT? 3:31? 3:55? Go to a 3:73 that should wake it up. Or higher, 4:09 maybe?

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
I guess my first question is, what exactly are you doing? Like mashing the pedal at a green? Because we know how that can turn out....

This was posted on the Mach subforum, it compares a 2021 GT to a 2021 Mach on a dyno run. The GT really doesn't have a ton of power at low RPM's (of course coming from a Miata, 'a ton' is very much a relative term)

1630712902811.png

Per this you really need to get the revs up a bit before power kicks in. If you want to replicate the Mach's curve, I'm pretty sure the biggest difference is the GT350 air intake and throttle body, which I would imagine shouldn't be all that difficult to replace/install since the GT/Mach/GT350 share so much commonality.

EDIT: Here's a link to said parts for $1k

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...kit-procal-4-mustang-gt-2018-2020/p/M9603M8B/
I'm not mashing my gas at all honestly. I feel like revving the engine feels unnatural to me since I have not done that with previous cars that I have owned. I just feel like from first to second gear car feels so slow that I got tailgated sometimes but cars that are automatic.
Sponsored