Sponsored

Feels different

eli.krahulec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Anyone please weigh in. 2015 GT Convertible. At the time, Cat back with x pipe only mod.

A while back I missed a shift and over revved my GT while tearing it up on the back roads. O/R'd it bad enough to shred the clutch disk. Limped the car a few miles home, and knew that it was clutch related, but there was something else... Engine felt weird too. But I couldn't put my finger on it.

After I installed my McLeod RXT twin disc, I fired up the car and went for a drive. The car felt sloppy and sluggish. But I was trying not to hurt the new clutch. After a handful of drive cycles, it began to violently miss at 2100-2300 rpm. Then threw a cel and indicated misfires cyl 5 and 7 (if I'm remembering)

I wasn't sure whether I missed a step doing the clutch, or ruined something but drove it a few more times with the same results each time. Finally booked it in for warranty (it's 2 hours to the dealer, no courtesy cars). They claim that the did a COP test, a compression test, and new plugs on the affected cylinders, and then a cylinder relearn. I had one of the mechanics (I know him through a mutual friend) drive it a couple days to and from his home to make sure I didn't go get it only to have it act up again on the way home.

Here's the thing, although the CEL doesn't light up, and the violent bucking is gone I don't think they actually fixed it. It feels different. It's still has a stutter at low rpms that I don't remember, but it's like the ECM sees what is happening and is just about to throw the CEL but then goes "Oh yeah, I remember I'm supposed to ignore this" and then it goes away. Still doesn't feel as crisp as before.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure how to even test something like "it feels different"? I Want to add twin boosting devices to it so warranty will not be looking into anything after that. Need to know I'm adding hairdryers to a sound engine.
Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Wow, I'm surprised that they did warranty work on the motor after driver error was the culprit. Good for you!

Maybe this is something that the adaptations will take care of after time? unfortunately, it will probably pay to wait on the turbos to see if it gets better. Sometimes the adaptations take many drive cycles to get set.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Put it on a dyno see how much HP its making. If there is an issue with the valves you will lose power.

OP
OP

eli.krahulec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Put it on a dyno see how much HP its making. If there is an issue with the valves you will lose power.
That was my thought. I will have to wait a while now though, it's snowing here. Car is down until April at least. Unless I can find an enclosed trailer to haul it in.

Wouldn't a bad valve show up on Compression test?

As for drive cycles, I've made probably 2000 miles/4000 kms since the cylinder relearn. I thought the same that it may just need to be driven a bit initially.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That was my thought. I will have to wait a while now though, it's snowing here. Car is down until April at least. Unless I can find an enclosed trailer to haul it in.

Wouldn't a bad valve show up on Compression test?

As for drive cycles, I've made probably 2000 miles/4000 kms since the cylinder relearn. I thought the same that it may just need to be driven a bit initially.
It might.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
The last thing I would do if it feels different is put it on a dyno. I'd have someone else look at it.

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
How did you over rev it? I thought there was a rev limiter on these cars?
Sponsored