sluggish startup?

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
Hey guys. i took delivery of my mustang this past saturday and it has been awesome! One thing that had me concerned was when i started up the car, it took a while to start up. I did notice this was when the car was cold. My question is do you guys hold the start up button till the car fires up or do you just push it in once real quick?
Sponsored

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Hey guys. i took delivery of my mustang this past saturday and it has been awesome! One thing that had me concerned was when i started up the car, it took a while to start up. I did notice this was when the car was cold. My question is do you guys hold the start up button till the car fires up or do you just push it in once real quick?
I press it once and let it go. It seems to know how long to crank for (which is only about 1-2 seconds on my car. Also, since I have an automatic, with remote start, one would assume that it wouldn't need to be "held" in order to start.

OP
OP
Salty

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I figured it would be just a push just like my last car which was a lexus. I guess ill just keep an eye on it, hopefully it will sort it self out

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
It's one push start without holding. Was like that on my '11 with the key. Really messes me up now when I get into cars without it and it doesn't crank fully lol. My '14 F150 and my wife's '11 fusion is the same way.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I think you need to define 'a while to start up'. As noted above, push, release. Mine takes about 1-1.5 seconds to start. If it is really cold and your car has been sitting in it all day, then it certainly could take significantly longer to start.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Salty

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Its tough to explain. Its happened a couple of times. I live in miami so its certainly not so cold here. The times its happened i would push the button and it would start to crank then surge on me like if it were a low battery. At that point i figured it wont start up but it i guess with these new push starts it keeps going till it starts up. the whole time probably took 5 sec

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I don't hold it down but I don't push it like a kid playing an arcade game either...Somewhere in between.

Some days it does take longer to start due to cold weather or haven't started in a day or two. Occasionally she is a garage princess.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
One short push is working for my GT. No holding needed. Engine is always alive after 1 to max 2 seconds.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I just press it like I would any button. Even when it's subzero the car fires right up within a second or two.

Although when I was using ExxonMobil 93 octane I had some issues. In the heat, if I stopped the car briefly at a gas station or a quick trip into walgreens or what not, the car really hesitated. It started right away but then would almost stall out and catch itself. This doesn't seem to happen with shell or BP. It still occasionally happens but it's a once in a blue moon type of thing.

shadowblack_badger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just press it like I would any button. Even when it's subzero the car fires right up within a second or two.

Although when I was using ExxonMobil 93 octane I had some issues. In the heat, if I stopped the car briefly at a gas station or a quick trip into walgreens or what not, the car really hesitated. It started right away but then would almost stall out and catch itself. This doesn't seem to happen with shell or BP. It still occasionally happens but it's a once in a blue moon type of thing.
Figured I’d throw my 2 cents in. I switched from Shell to Sunoco to save a few cents per gallon...terrible choice. Not saying Sunoco is bad, I just assume the area I live in the station itself does not properly manage their tanks, etc. I moved to Marathon, just as bad. Went back to Shell 93, and it was like a new car again. I can say this, right when I purchased my car (2017 5.0), my wife and I would go to Sams (because of membership and cheap gas) and I would put their premium gas in my Mustang. I always noted that I had a mild sluggish warm start after getting gas, running an errand, turning the car off then back on after only minutes or even 30-45 minutes. Note: I live in South Georgia and it stays hot and humid ALL the time. I do believe that heat wash and high intake temps played a roll though. It’s obvious now, Sams gas is not the best. Once I went to 93 Shell, it’s like the car had life again... smooth starts, solid warm starts, and smooth idle. Also, I run Techron and/or Seafoam ever few months to keep the tank clean. Good luck.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Figured I’d throw my 2 cents in. I switched from Shell to Sunoco to save a few cents per gallon...terrible choice. Not saying Sunoco is bad, I just assume the area I live in the station itself does not properly manage their tanks, etc. I moved to Marathon, just as bad. Went back to Shell 93, and it was like a new car again. I can say this, right when I purchased my car (2017 5.0), my wife and I would go to Sams (because of membership and cheap gas) and I would put their premium gas in my Mustang. I always noted that I had a mild sluggish warm start after getting gas, running an errand, turning the car off then back on after only minutes or even 30-45 minutes. Note: I live in South Georgia and it stays hot and humid ALL the time. I do believe that heat wash and high intake temps played a roll though. It’s obvious now, Sams gas is not the best. Once I went to 93 Shell, it’s like the car had life again... smooth starts, solid warm starts, and smooth idle. Also, I run Techron and/or Seafoam ever few months to keep the tank clean. Good luck.
I had read that shell's gas is rated at 99 RON across the ocean. 93 AKI, state side, can be 97-99 RON. So if the same holds true here, that would mean shell v-power is actually a higher octane than other brands which are rated at 97 RON. A higher octane would deal with heat soak much better. Take it all with a grain of salt but it makes more sense than other brands (excluding your bumblef*ck stations) having bad gas or shell using some special sauce additive.

I want to note that this all strictly applies to 93 octane.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Yeah, a quick push. It just sends a signal to start the car, it's not like you have to hold to actually crank the starter.

My '14 has a key (obviously) and even those you just tap teh key quick and the computer does the rest.

I heard that the coyote was set up for push button starting from the beginning, so even cars like a '14 GT Mustang that still had yet to loser their key, still did it. Just using the key contact instead of a button contact.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A related question: Does the 'start' button on our cars initiate a fully automated start, or is it just a starter button? I always depressed it like it's a starter button, releasing it when engine fires up, hence my question :). In most cars, it's an automated start, but curious on ours. Thx.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
From the experience - it's fully automated start sequence, initiated by positive flank of START button signal.
I'm not able to make the "push" short enough not to ignite the engine.
It seams that the duration of the "push" is not relevant at all.
Sponsored