2018 GT PP2 Rear Differential Overheating Issue

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i have a track day coming up this month, and while only an ecoboost, i plan on datalogging each session to see how diff temp climbs. i also plan on using one of those cheaper garden sprayers that you pump to build pressure
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Very good approach and at the lowest and non invasive approach that I have seen.
And cheap. NCM track day Sunday will be 5x 20min sessions and 90F ambient. I think the diff will hold up, and if so then I will join the hour long final session and see how long it takes to reach ~280F.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
I have a Ryobi battery powered mister fan that someone recommended previously. It's a bit tall to fit under the car though without lifting it. I was thinking maybe use my Ryobi battery powered sprayer and leaf blower combined. Fill the sprayer tank with ice water and set it up to spray on the diff while the blower goes as well.
Did you try this one? I was thinking about snagging this today to see if it fits under the car (would have to be laid on its back I’m sure). I do have the Ryobi batteries already, Ryobi Blower, and Ryobi small garden sprayer.
DB0017DB-ED18-41B7-9C76-C7142A78C4A2.png

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I’ve heard the leaf blower, but not the bottle of water. Interesting. So just dump the water on the ground and position the leaf blower to spray from the ground to the rear diff?
No
Activate the blower and poor the water in front of it. The water will be partially waste but a lot will reach the diff and cool it down.
I have the ryobi battery fan with the spray. Too tall with car on the ground. So i jack the car in one side only and use it
for the alluminium trans pan.
I bet it works for diff too.
I would use blower first. Then use the fan with a ome side jacked car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
No
Activate the blower and poor the water in front of it. The water will be partially waste but a lot will reach the diff and cool it down.
I have the ryobi battery fan with the spray. Too tall with car on the ground. So i jack the car in one side only and use it
for the alluminium trans pan.
I bet it works for diff too.
I would use blower first. Then use the fan with a ome side jacked car.
seems a 12v auto battery, spare window washer pump and reservoir, a few nozzles zip-tied/hot-glued to the air outlet would do wonders. An 8-bit micro controller or PI board. And blue-tooth based connectivity and home-made app to regulate pulse width and timing of the pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Relay-Digital-Delay-Module/dp/B06X3YSXY9

https://www.amazon.com/Y-SOLAR-Digital-Power-Programmable-Switch/dp/B01MRWKVM0

Last edited:

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
That seems so tedious and unnecessary. Why not get a handheld weed sprayer for a constant misting:

1627955636622.png
The leaf blower is the fastest. Is literally 2 mins. You want the air also cause u want the heat absorbed by the water
Then of course everything is better than nothing.
The weed sprayer would need to be postioned precisely under the car and also constant sprayed.
I mean everything is doable. But it looks tedious too.
But I'm always open to solution!
The ryobi fan and spray is with me anyway cause i use it for refreshing my self too.
The weed sprayer means another thing to bring. So also considering it in the equation.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
seems a 12v auto battery, spare window washer pump and reservoir, a few nozzles zip-tied/hot-glued to the air outlet would do wonders. An 8-bit micro controller or PI board. And blue-tooth based connectivity and home-made app to regulate pulse width and timing of the pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Relay-Digital-Delay-Module/dp/B06X3YSXY9

https://www.amazon.com/Y-SOLAR-Digital-Power-Programmable-Switch/dp/B01MRWKVM0
I mean...yes. Looks an over killed.
U can also poor the water directly in the extension tube of the blower and activate it :) but seriously is really really simple.
Lay down behind the car. One hand holds the bottle of water
One activate the blower. Poor the water in front of the blower and activate it. 2mins of aur and way less heat. :)

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Today I made a cardboard template to help position my fan to the wheel chocks. There is a 3" deep notch in the edge to locate the fan. I want the chocks and fan on the ground for max clearance and so that they don't shift when backing up.

The diffuser just clears the fan when backing up.

The cardboard folds up and goes in the trunk for track day.

20210802_132335.jpg
Nice idea but that does not look like the misting fan. My fan is made to sit on top of a bucket of water to provide the mist. It can also be hooked to a hose but those aren't always available at the track. My fan appears to have a larger base. I've been trying to think of ways to provide a water source without having it sitting on top of a bucket when I can't access a hose. I'm thinking about about backing up on my trailer ramps stopping just so the diff is in the open air between the ramps and using wheel chocks on the front tires to hold me there. Will require some help from someone else. The addition of water to the air flow is supposed to cool better. So I'm still working that out. Using my sprayer with just water and a source of air might work out better and could possibly be done with the car on the ground.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you try this one? I was thinking about snagging this today to see if it fits under the car (would have to be laid on its back I’m sure). I do have the Ryobi batteries already, Ryobi Blower, and Ryobi small garden sprayer.
No, I have this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...5-Ah-Battery-and-18V-Charger-PMF01K/312025245
Looks like Alesandro has worked out one way to make it work. I'm just looking to simplify it. Bringing a couple extra tools in the truck doesn't bother me really.

That seems so tedious and unnecessary. Why not get a handheld weed sprayer for a constant misting:

1627955636622.png
That's what I have. @Flyhalf This is battery powered as well so it could run on it's own spraying water. With the hose taped to a wheel chock or something to aim it at the diff. Then use another wheel chock to aim blower at the diff. Could let this run together for 5 mins, 10 mins... however long the tank of water or batteries last. That's a limiter here if you need to bring a bunch of batteries. Luckily at one track I visit regularly I have access to charge batteries.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The leaf blower is the fastest.
Tie the nozzle of the sprayer on the leaf blower, then tie a ziptie on the trigger. That way the stream of water gets sprayed directly into the path of the forced air and you don't have to lay on the ground trying to pour water under your car. Just sit back and relax.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
however long the tank of water or batteries last. That's a limiter here if you need to bring a bunch of batteries
Based on my experience from using the Ryobi unit to spray weeds, a normal sized battery can do about 20 gallons of liquid which is an hour or two of operation. I go thru a gallon in about 8-10 minutes of constant spraying. You can also get a non name-brand extended battery for cheap and it can last more than twice that. Should be enough to last you a whole day on one battery.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tie the nozzle of the sprayer on the leaf blower, then tie a ziptie on the trigger. That way the stream of water gets sprayed directly into the path of the forced air and you don't have to lay on the ground trying to pour water under your car. Just sit back and relax.
Good ideas. That was my goal was figuring out how to do it without a lot of extra effort on my part.

Based on my experience from using the Ryobi unit to spray weeds, a normal sized battery can do about 20 gallons of liquid which is an hour or two of operation. I go thru a gallon in about 8-10 minutes of constant spraying. You can also get a non name-brand extended battery for cheap and it can last more than twice that. Should be enough to last you a whole day on one battery.
Yeah I've never been concerned much with the battery life. I've only had issues when I don't watch the battery levels and only on my leaf blower or my 1/2" impact. Tools I use often and probably draw more power. I probably should have jumped on the Ryobi days deal to buy two more 4 amp batteries and get a free tool but there's nothing I need really. I think I have 3 4 amp and 3 smaller batteries. Should be plenty for a track weekend.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
I have 3 4Amp :) definetely gonna consider it. However honestly my main issue is keep trans cool. Diff doesnt really over heat for me.
Although i do time trials so no enough time. 10speed seems to overheat less diff tho.

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
Bringing this thread back, for a 2019 PP2 on typical track days (4x20min sessions with about an hr wait in between) are we only concerned with diff temps? Oil, tranny, coolant temps are fine as stock equipped? I'm good with purchasing one of the aftermarket active diff cooling upgrades (MMR etc.) Thanks for any inputs.
Sponsored