Sponsored

Differnetial Overheating Mostly Kinda Solved 2018GT PP1

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Just putting the results of my efforts here. First off, if you're serious about tracking the car then get a cooler. Period. Full tilt boogie makes a kit plenty of people are happy with for 1k, or you can grab the ford performance one for 2200ish, and not have all the fancy rear bumper areo like the GT350 has.
Anywho, all Ive wanted is to try and get about 25 min out of the car on the track before the temp warning hits. For the 2018 models this triggers at 270 and goes into limp mode at 300. With my strategy your diff fluid will get close to or at 270 each session so still way to hot to be healthy. I think the GT 350 stays around 160 with the cooler, and FTB recommends setting the thermostat to 165. So if your temps are reliably getting up to 270 plan on changing the diff fluid more often.
So most recommendations start with wrapping the exhaust as it goes around the rear diff to stop heat soak, as well as changing to a higher viscosity fluid. Stock is 75w90, Im currently running 75w140 Redline full synthetic. (1.6L is whats required). Switching to a thicker weight oil really doesn't change how quickly the diff cools or heats up, but it will provide some additional protection during track time where the diff is close to 270, or even standard sustained highway driving where it is around 190ish.
Wrapping the exhaust is helpful but ultimately wont do the trick if you're pushing the car really hard. Part of the problem is the physical location of the diff. Its tucked waaayyy up there where it gets relatively little airflow, and what it does get is already superheated. While driving it is getting air that has already blown across the engine, transmission cooling fins, and the length of the exhaust.
An additional tidbit that will help during track days is to run with traction control off, or at least in Sport+ mode. Traction control will use the rear brakes to stop the wheels from spinning so it will continuously place additional friction on the diff gears. Im not saying to turn if off if you need it, just be aware that if it is coming on a lot then it is likely adding addition heating load to the diff( plus you're cooking your rear pads and rotors).

(most of this data is coming from my last track day. Pretty much perfect scenario keep that in mind. Low of 44, high of 60)

During my track days I wouldn't really overheat on my first run or two, but the later sessions would overheat pretty quickly. So I started paying attention to the starting temps. During my later runs I would check in the staging area and the temp was still at 180+, even after sitting in the paddock area for over an hour. With starting temps this high I would trigger the warning after about 15 min or so :( and had to call it quits. Even a slow lap to try to cool it off didnt really help at all (again, terrible airflow). So I decided to try and reduce starting temps.I found a ryobi fan at home depot for like 40 bucks and already have plenty of power packs so I picked it up to take to the track. Between my sessions I would place it under the car blowing directly on the diff.I think it would be most effective to put a fan on the front side of the diff where the driveshaft enters blowing back but the fan did not fit under there.

I drive about an hour or so to the track and my first run usually has time to cool down to under 100 degrees by my first session. No temp warning. Off the track at 250 degrees. Put the fan on it and see immediate huge reduction in temps. It went from 240 to 140 in about 15 min. HUGE! After having the fan blow on it for the entire time between sessions, around and hour and a half, I have temps at around 113. The fan is blowing on the back cover where the sensor is so as soon as I pull the fan off and drive to stage the temp is up to about 125. It holds there until start. Didn't get any temp warnings off of my 30 min session. I do this between each session with similar results. It never really has time to get below 120 by the time I drive onto the track. Kinda a bummer with ambient temps around 55, but much better than starting at 190. I didnt get a warning on sessions 1-4, and finally got the temp warning 27 min into my 5th and final session. By this time the ambient temps were around 60.

Im sure as the season goes on and temps get warmer this might not be as effective, but Im pretty stoked the combination of all this has pretty much gotten me to my goal of 25 min overheat free. Ill post back as the summer months come on to see how it goes, but Im likely to continue improving with my driver mod too, so the combo of higher ambient temps and pushing the car harder might make all this less effective and I'll still end up needing a cooler. We shall see. Hope this helps somebody.

Cheers

More info Here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ftb-diff-cooler-installed.114217/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-gt-pp2-rear-differential-overheating-issue.106844/

Kinda Here
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-for-the-mustang-ā€˜super-8-8ā€™-rear-end.117720/
20190401_151113.jpg
Sponsored

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
I finally bit the bullet and did the FTB kit...why? Anything else was going to be futile, just switched to 285s and will be running Thunderhill when ambient temps are near 100 if not over this summer. I wired my pump/fan setup so that I can run it with the car off in the padoc to cool the fluid down to ambient if needed.

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Wow Iā€™m surprised at the results you got. Never thought to do something like this, but it makes sense!

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Is that a Ryobi fan? How long does a battery last? Looks promising, I am loathe to add more weight to an already porky car so would like to avoid adding diff cooler.
For now my strategy is limiting laps to 5-6 at a time on a hot day which works for me for a couple of reasons.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Just a quick update after my last track day. Low of 60, high of 80. Never got a temp warning after 5 or 6 sessions. The sessions we're only 20 min each though so not enough time to heat it all they way up. I usually came off with temps around 240ish. I wish they were 30 min sessions to really test it. Warm up and cool down laps take a good percentage out of a 20 min session. May 13 I'm running with a group that does 30 min sessions so we shall see.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
What a great idea, I actually have one of those in my garage and never thought of using it for that purpose. Thanks Poppin

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Wrapped my exhaust in heat tape yesterday, first track day Saturday but only supposed to be 10C so not likely going to be much of a test of whether it helps or not.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I think the GT 350 stays around 160 with the cooler,
That's not the case actually. A friend with his 350 and myself were out last summer running the same rear diff temps of 199 on a 94 degree day. Not sure what temp the cooler on the GT350 is regulated to, but it appears to do nothing below 200.

I do like the Ryobi idea though. I thought a floor dryer would work great if you had a generator as well. The more CFM the better.
blower.jpg

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
That's not the case actually. A friend with his 350 and myself were out last summer running the same rear diff temps of 199 on a 94 degree day. Not sure what temp the cooler on the GT350 is regulated to, but it appears to do nothing below 200.

I do like the Ryobi idea though. I thought a floor dryer would work great if you had a generator as well. The more CFM the better.
blower.jpg
Interesting. I dont own a 350 so I was just going by word mouth. Perhaps the cooler kicks on at 160? Again, just going off of what I had read on forums, not even official materials so Im sure Im only half right about most of the things I say.

Sponsored

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sorry for hijacking your thread, OP. Figure this could go along with stuff you have done.

Did some work over the weekend...Ordered the GlowShift dual temp gauge, comes with 2 sensors. Only one installed right now. Second will probably go for transmission.

SlcPVu1.jpg

gQDz3hU.jpg

dqSMS9Q.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Sorry for hijacking your thread, OP. Figure this could go along with stuff you have done.

Did some work over the weekend...Ordered the GlowShift dual temp gauge, comes with 2 sensors. Only one installed right now. Second will probably go for transm

Did some work over the weekend...Ordered the GlowShift dual temp gauge, comes with 2 sensors. Only one installed right now. Second will probably go for transmission.
Good idea for people without the sensors already installed. Ive thought about doing this for the transmission, that temp worries me since I have no idea what it gets to. How did your temp sticker work out? I tried to buy one for the trans but they were sold out.

I ran another track day. I've determined that 20 min sessions aren't enough to trigger the warning anymore, or maybe ever even on hot days. It was with TNIA, temps around 80, 20 min sessions and short breaks between(about 1 hour). Mine didn't trigger but neither did anyone else there driving a Mustang. I will be doing another event on Monday with wider tires and a club that runs about 5 30 min sessions so I'll trigger it at some point. Highs will be around 80.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
How did your temp sticker work out? I tried to buy one for the trans but they were sold out..
They worked pretty good. Just have to check the temp as soon as you get off the track, otherwise it will be slightly incorrect if it's been siting there and heatsoaking.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I've thought about doing something like you're doing with the Ryobi fan and wondered if it would do any good. Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try this next time out.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I wonder if there's an exhaust that does not go all the way to the rear bumper, but rather exits before rear wheels that it also reasonably quiet to be street driveable.

This would be a weight reduction by itself, plus maybe rear diff wouldn't need extra cooler weight. I mean, there wouldn't be heatung exhaust around the diff.
Sponsored

Last edited: