2018 GT PP2 Rear Differential Overheating Issue

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I think I'm going to go the same route as Porsche Dude with the Full Tilt Boogie Racing Kit. Yes he's correct, with the kit and install labor will total around $2,000.00, but if you understand why Ford went with a remote heat sink on the GT 350R instead of a cover, particularly with the cost of the remote heat sink being a more complex extra step unit to install.

I would surmise that the cover just doesn't have the dissipating properties the remote heat sink does. I could be wrong on this, but manufacturers typically take the more cost effective approach every time unless there is a reason not to.
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm going to go the same route as Porsche Dude with the Full Tilt Boogie Racing Kit. Yes he's correct, with the kit and install labor will total around $2,000.00, but if you understand why Ford went with a remote heat sink on the GT 350R instead of a cover, particularly with the cost of the remote heat sink being a more complex extra step unit to install.

I would surmise that the cover just doesn't have the dissipating properties the remote heat sink does. I could be wrong on this, but manufacturers typically take the more cost effective approach every time unless there is a reason not to.
Do the install yourself. Weather you built it yourself or buy a kit. Its not that hard and you will learn a lot about the design and function of your car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but manufacturers typically take the more cost effective approach every time unless there is a reason not to.
the finned cover is a major expense compared to slapping on a bunch of off-the-shelf parts. That's why they didn't bother.

Plus they for some odd reason they didn't just recycle the finned steel cover they had from the previous gen.

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Has anyone who tracks his car tried this one?
"https://www.fluix.de/product-page/differential-oil-cooler-cover"?

It's been mentioned in some threads here, with some useful feedback from the designer and appears to be well engineered, but I have not yet seen reviews from anyone who tracks his car.
There should be a few people on here running the cover already. So far, no one has had problems with limp since the install to my knowledge. No complains should be good news! The passive finned cover does have a few advantages as mentioned compared to the active cooler solutions, one of them being noiselss as mentioned before. An active cooler will however probably be able to transfer more heat at the cost of complexity and $$$.

Here is the intial review of a forum member of the cover.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rear-diff-cover.146310/post-3043447

If anyone else who has installed the cover could chime in, that would be greatly appreciated. Currently, I am working on an active add on to the cover. The overall cost should not be more than other mentioned systems.

MadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang PP2 with Triple X-Pipe
I tried the finned cover. I still went into limp mode. I recently bought the Full Tilt Boogie package and will track the car next weekend.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I tried the finned cover. I still went into limp mode. I recently bought the Full Tilt Boogie package and will track the car next weekend.
Did you care to track how it improved or delayed things until it overheated anyway?

I see the current version is available with optional taps for adding some DIY external cooling (or from what I read above, maybe they will make an external setup available too), which could make it a good step-by-step upgrade. As long as I alternate a few harder laps with some slower laps, and quickly take a pause if I feel power is getting reduced, at my level I'm getting by ok most of the time. Wondering if the finned cover would be enough for someone at my level, and then I could upgrade when I become faster without losing the time and money invested in installing this passive cover.

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Interested in selling your finned cover? I too have been running... Toasty...

swx7nYh.jpg

MadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

MadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interested in selling your finned cover?
If you want my finned cover, I would be willing to sell at half my purchase price plus shipping.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the FTBR kit on my 2019 GT PP1. It’s mounted under the car. works well but the pump and fan are loud. Can be heard both inside and oit side the car. When inside, it’s about the same noise level as running the AC fan on medium To high but makes sort of a high vibration/buzzing noise. I guess that’s the pump. Seems to be working. Dropped the diff temp by 60F just on the highway. Have not tried it on the track yet.
Is your kit loud too?
You doing anything for transmission cooling?
I was curious myself about any cabin noise this system could transfer. This was going to be one of my questions for the folks at FTBR prior to purchasing the kit. One would think that with the experience they've had, that this would be something that they would have considered and derived a solution for. Moving parts like fan motors and pumps tend to create vibrations while working. Maybe better mounting insulators?

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I was curious myself about any cabin noise this system could transfer. This was going to be one of my questions for the folks at FTBR prior to purchasing the kit. One would think that with the experience they've had, that this would be something that they would have considered and derived a solution for. Moving parts like fan motors and pumps tend to create vibrations while working. Maybe better mounting insulators?
Most of the noise comes from the pump. I would guess you could replace the pump with a pump designed for quite operation. Most of the people that build nd use diff coolers are track people so the extra noise doesn't bother us. Kinda like sqeaky brake pads. Its part if the experience. Hahahaha

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the FTBR kit on my 2019 GT PP1. It’s mounted under the car. works well but the pump and fan are loud. Can be heard both inside and oit side the car. When inside, it’s about the same noise level as running the AC fan on medium To high but makes sort of a high vibration/buzzing noise. I guess that’s the pump. Seems to be working. Dropped the diff temp by 60F just on the highway. Have not tried it on the track yet.
Is your kit loud too?
You doing anything for transmission cooling?
Scott, one additional question: Is the FTBR diff cooler a thermostatically controlled unit, or an on/off switch? Just curious...

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
Scott, one additional question: Is the FTBR diff cooler a thermostatically controlled unit, or an on/off switch? Just curious...
Not to butt in on Scott but mine has an adjustable thermostat that controls the off and on of the cooler. MY mechanic set it to the lowest setting. It may activate more often but the diff lube is like new. I also have it wired where I could add an on / off switch in the cockpit.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Not to butt in on Scott but mine has an adjustable thermostat that controls the off and on of the cooler. MY mechanic set it to the lowest setting. It may activate more often but the diff lube is like new. I also have it wired where I could add an on / off switch in the cockpit.
Bob, thanks! I thought during my research of their system, someone said that it came with a thermostat as part of the kit. Thanks for confirming.
Sponsored