2018 GT PP2 Rear Differential Overheating Issue

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Completely new to the Mustang platform, and I like to track my cars, and have plans for mine too when I get delivery. I'm used to managing tires and brakes during a track outings but rear diff temps? Is this very common for the S550 Mustang?
Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
You're not worried the trunk compartment might get really hot? Are you going to vent the trunk area somehow?

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I have a full set up like that under the car and it is flawless. Full Tilt Boogie Racing. It cost more than that though.
Yeah I've looked at the FTBR option. Just looking for less expensive options. I definitely don't want it in the car either just because I still daily mine in nice weather.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I will provide a parts list. As far as weight it is a lot lighter then it may appear. And the reason for the spare tire well is mostly by habit. I have done this type of install in the last 4 cars that I take to the track. The trunk well on my cars are always empty and I only run the cooler on the track and between session. So noise and vending heat is not a problem. You can do the whole kit for just under $375 if you use min AN fittings and go with hose barbs and just std non braided hoses. Mine has a in line check valveon the exit and a butterfly valve on the inlet side that some guys may not want.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I will provide a parts list. As far as weight it is a lot lighter then it may appear. And the reason for the spare tire well is mostly by habit. I have done this type of install in the last 4 cars that I take to the track. The trunk well on my cars are always empty and I only run the cooler on the track and between session. So noise and vending heat is not a problem. You can do the whole kit for just under $375 if you use min AN fittings and go with hose barbs and just std non braided hoses. Mine has a in line check valveon the exit and a butterfly valve on the inlet side that some guys may not want.
AWESOME! Thank you!!!

You might consider a whole thread of your own. You could provide details on how it's installed and stuff. Better fittings, hoses and such seem like a good idea.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I presume it can be installed under the car if someone wanted to?
the pump and radiator and in particular the FAN has to be certified for outdoor/wet use.
But here is an example BOM and writeup curtesy of Steeda for an internal rig.

40-527 Tilton pump
15950 Derale cooler with fan
(3) 21008 Vibrant -8an female to -8an hose straight fittings
(3) 21908 Vibrant -8an female to -8an hose 90 degree fittings
(2) AN816-08-08A ½ npt to -8an male fittings
(2) SUM-220846B Summit brand -8an to 3/8npt male fittings
SUM-230810 Summit brand 10’ -8an stainless braid hose

I source locally(napa) a 30 amp relay and a toggle switch to wire the pump and cooler fan up.

The 2 ½ npt fittings go in the rear cover drain/fill plug holes.
The 2 3/8 npt fittings go on the pump.
The cooler comes with a package of hardware that includes the -8an fittings needed for it. Do not use the hose that comes with the cooler, it does not last.
I wire the pump and cooler fan to one relay, add a 30 amp fuse for the circuit.

The hose fittings listed are what we use for the best fitment. The cooler will need to spaced off the floor 3-4 inches for air flow. The fan needs to be wired blue to ground, black to power, this will blow down threw the cooler core. Follow the instructions that come with the pump on how to plumb and wire it correctly. The pump should be sucking threw the cooler and returning to the top fitting on the rear cover.

https://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/98-1901-Intermittent-Oil-Cooler-Pump-Updated-1.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Derale-16763-Electric-Relay-Harness/dp/B004XONWU4

Last edited:

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
This video is great! Now I just need to figure out a way to keep my A10 cool.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
This video is great! Now I just need to figure out a way to keep my A10 cool.
there's supposed to be one but it's tiny. You can get the "mach 1 experience" by installing the F150 (heavy duty?) one but I don't know what/if there are fitment issues. Or run some lines all the way up to the radiator area and use a Mishimoto or something.
Sponsored