2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

Discussion in 'V8 5.0L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning' started by breeves002, Apr 18, 2018.

1. fairplayinc

fairplayinc Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT PP1 Convertible
    0   0   0
    I would love to hear if anyone got a 2019 working. Or someone that could pull the forscan data from a 2019 AE car.

2. mfoley13

mfoley13 Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium, 401a, A10, 3.55, Safe&Smart, AE
    0   0   0
    #382 mfoley13, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Here are the codes from two 2019 401A Convertibles (not PP), since I couldn't easily find an exact VIN match to your car on the Autonation site:

720-04-01 with AE: 0611 0102 0046 without AE: 0611 0002 0045

720-10-01 with AE: F000 0400 002C without AE: D000 0400 0002

So, I would change the D to F in the -10-01 line but it's not straightforward for the other since the second digit is not changing like we are used to seeing. The one on the second group (0102) does change so this may be the switch now?

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/help-wanted-s550-as-built-library.96464/ This thread tells you how to investigate programming codes by VIN.

Here are the VIN's I used
    1FATP8FF2K5122325 - with AE
    1FATP8FF3K5141952 - without AE

Note that on my 2018 401A digitial dash I went from 1 to E on the -10-01 line since that is what worked for someone else. I have a better understanding of the use hexidecimal numbers in this application and now know that I should have went from 1 to 3 since it only switches one thing. I've confirmed both and can't tell a difference in function.

3. fairplayinc

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT PP1 Convertible
    0   0   0

Thanks so much!

Just to catch up those who are following, I was able to locate my cars doppelganger+AE. With mfoleys help, I pulled the VINs AB data and crossed them. The stickers and compro data are attached. Unfortunately, even after setting it up with the AB data to match the AE car, I am still not getting the no muffler pop ups...

I returned the mufflers this morning due to them being damaged in transit. I am on the fence as to whether or not to reorder until I get this straightened out. AE.PNG mine.PNG Comparison.PNG

4. fairplayinc

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT PP1 Convertible
    0   0   0
    I took it a step further ans crossed ALL AB data. See attached. I dont know where to begin at this point. I have changed the line 720-10-01 and that turns the Exhaust Mode option on in the dash but does not throw the No Muffler alert that others have gotten. If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in.

All AB Diffs.PNG

5. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Just wanted to give an update on mine... it's an interesting situation, and I'm kind of drawing a blank.

So, as a refresher, when i first installed mine, I was getting the "exhaust selection not available" message and it would permanently stay in track mode. However, it would occasionally randomly start working perfectly as it should, typically on cold mornings. Therefore, I figured it was a crimped wire in the "piggyback" harnesses (the ones that plug directly to the mufflers) that got damaged when the previous owner removed his AE.

After replacing those wires, I am now in an even weirder situation. The car will start up in quiet mode almost every time, and won't give me any error message. It will let me change exhaust modes in the dash, however, it won't ACTUALLY change the valves. Usually, after about 5 minutes or so, it'll give me the "exhaust selection not available" message and permanently flip to track mode while showing "normal" in the dash and not letting me change the exhaust mode.

I'm pretty lost at this point, and think I might just replace the primary harness as a last ditch effort to get it working. Any other thoughts?

6. vayea

vayea Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 Mustang Ecoboost
    0   0   0
    2018 Ecoboost 201a with digital dash, auto and safe and smart package.

I have the factory plug and have installed the AE.

I reprogrammed the car to show the AE menu in the cluster hut it does not work and makes it so that the driving modes can not be changed.

The fuse box under the hood does not have the relays mentioned earlier.

This is where I'm at right now. I'm happy with the sound when it's fully open but would like to make use of the active part.

If anyone has info on what else is missing please let me know.

7. 320guy

320guy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    EB PP soon
    0   0   0
    Yeah mine is a 2018 with 201A, with safe and smart also. The idea is to have the active part, I want to use quiet when driving with the wife and loud when by my own.

I’m trying to find a 2019 in the dealers, so I can check the fuse box.

8. vayea

vayea Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 Mustang Ecoboost
    0   0   0
    This is the fuse box of a 2019 ecoboost with the 101a package and active exhaust option. MVIMG_20190306_152529.jpg

9. FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium PP
    0   0   0
    Just that another member here had identified that their car, without factory AE, had the relay in the box, but it appeared to be plugged in upside down. It would be good to inspect a car with factory AE and ensure that the relay is installed in the correct orientation before we all go flipping them around though.

jake_zx2 likes this.
  10. fairplayinc

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT PP1 Convertible
    0   0   0
    Welp, for those of us with 2019's the other setting to change is in the PCM and Ford had to do it for me. $60 well spent! I am now converted to Active!

11. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Did you get them to tell you what it is??

12. fairplayinc

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT PP1 Convertible
    0   0   0
    The PCM is one thing that we cannot change with FORScan. Any tech that can pull data from a like car can make it work.

To answer your Q, no I did not. But as I said, any dealer should be able to do this for a small fee.

13. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Ahh, I misread it, I thought you said BCM lol. But thanks for finding this out! It'll be helpful to the 2019+ guys!

14. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    FYI, I tried flipping the fuse, no result

15. Mickeymeanie

Mickeymeanie Active Member

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium Convertible - PP
    0   0   0
    Is there someone I can order the parts through on this thread or forum? I was at the dealer asking their parts guys about what I needed to order given my car has the plug already. First guy said “well that'll be Ford Performance parts and will void your warranty”. I explained that this is a stock Ford option and no way it would coid warranty. Fortunately the other guy behind the counter was listening in and stepped in. I think they figiured out the part numbers and wiring needed, but they didn't leave me feeling super confident. Also, the total price before tax was around $1,400 (two VE mufflers and the wiring harnesses that come from the plug in back to the actuators on thr mufflers). That seems pretty steep based on what I've read in this thread. Have prices really gone up or were they ordering the wrong mufflers? Doubled up maybe?

Given all that, I would feel much better if I could just order what I need from a dealer that knows exactly what the parts are and the correct cost.

16. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Tascaparts.com

But going off what some people in this thread have been posting recently, I wouldn't be surprised if that price were accurate after shipping

Mickeymeanie likes this.
  17. Mickeymeanie

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Thanks! On their website when I put in 5230-FA and 5230-FB, neither the diagram or the description indicate active exhaust, or even right vs left for that matter. Guess I'll just give them a call on Monday...

With the wiring and those 2 parts assuming they are what I need, it comes to $875... But shipping estimate is $301!!! So it is close to what the dealer quoted if you include shipping.

18. 88lx50

88lx50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
    0   0   0
    Try Levittown Ford. I got the parts for around 450 but I heard the prices have gone up.

Mickeymeanie likes this.
  19. Mickeymeanie

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    So this has gone from a $500 to $600 DIY "upgrade" to a $1,200 to $1,400 investment. For that kind of $'s I can get a nice cat-back system... So now I'm torn. I dig the novelty and functionality of the AE set up, but for the $'s it is becoming harder to justify.

20. 88lx50

88lx50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
    0   0   0
    You could try a dismantler like The Parts Farm. He always has late model Mustangs and I am sure they come in with active exhaust. As long as they were not hit in the rear, the mufflers and wiring should still be good.

Mickeymeanie likes this.