2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

Discussion in 'V8 5.0L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning' started by breeves002, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Zquez

Zquez Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2006 GT, 2019 5.0
    Death Dealer
    0   0   0
    I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for where active exhaust harness plugs into the body harness. I'm assuming it needs can bus input. Can anyone post pictures of their body harness where the mufflers plug in?

2. KewlWinter

KewlWinter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    wiring-diagram-jpg.jpg

Edit: Added picture of location.
    plug-jpg.jpg

3. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    There ae plenty of part numbers and diagrams in this thread. Please just read though

4. 88lx50

88lx50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
    0   0   0
    If you have a 2018 or 2019 without the active exhaust, the programming is already there, and some cars have most of the wiring. It is a simple matter of installing and then using Forscan to change the code in the car's instrument panel module to turn it on.

5. Tweeter2148

Tweeter2148 Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    So lucky me, my 2019 Mustang GT PP1 (with a Roush supercharger) is at the dealership to change the code for the active exhaust and they can't figure it out. My car was wired at the back, so I got the 3 wire harness, 2 active exhaust motors and a new active aftermarket exhaust installed. The dealership is saying that the Roush tech can't find any option in the instrument panel module to turn on the active exhaust option. They even took the Roush tune off the car and took it back to stock and still no luck. I didn't do anything with Forscan thinking that I would just let the dealership take care of it. Any one have any suggestions? The dealership is contacting Ford to see what they say.

6. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Driver

First Name:
    DT
    Vehicle(s):
    19 Mustang GT convertible, Orange Fury + Ebony, A10/PP/AE/MS/B&O
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Was it determined which models/variants/options have it? Like do all Premium GTs? Perf Pack cars? Or is it way more random[?]

7. Myshelby3425

Myshelby3425 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT
    0   0   0
    You need to use forscan. Your dealer doesn’t find it bc that something they most prob don’t do.

8. boB

boB Well-Known Member

First Name:
    boB
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT
    0   0   0
    Earlier in the thread it was suggested that the valve position is controlled by a PWM signal.

9. ehazel

ehazel Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I'm just going to throw this out there as the other thread didn't really go anywhere, I added AE to my 2018 non active (No rear plug) car and made a rough overview/consolidated information from this main thread to hopefully help others.

DuRsT and Andy13186 like this.
  10. 88lx50

88lx50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    It seems to be totally random.

MaskedRacerX likes this.
  11. AlbertD

AlbertD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT/PP
    Rating:
    100%
    9   0   0
    Started this project on my 2016 last night. I prototyped one motor and it worked flawlessly. Your instructions (OP) were tremendously helpful. Thank you!

One question... did you settle in on a particular voltage going out to the motors? I picked up a DC-DC buck converter and was going to play around with different voltage amounts later today to see how they affect the speed of the motor.

12. Tweeter2148

Tweeter2148 Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Would it be possible to contact the tech at the dealership that made the change in your car's PCM and find out what had to be done? I'm trying to get the active exhaust installed on my 2019 GT (400A) and the tech at my dealership is not able to figure it out. He changed line 720-10-01 and got the feature to pull up on the cluster but the valves still aren't working.

13. Rothgray

Rothgray Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    It looks like ford jacked up the price of the mufflers to $400ish each now.

DuRsT likes this.
  14. CraigJ

CraigJ Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    What diffusers/valance are people using on there 15-17 cars to accept the quad pipes?
    I’ve seen the roush fits, anyone tried the gt350?

Have a cheap gt350 advertised near me. Don’t mind removing the fake tips and cutting the grille out but don’t know if it lines up. Can only one confirm?

15. boB

boB Well-Known Member

First Name:
    boB
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT
    0   0   0
    In case it may help, here is the data from my "as built":

720-04-01 0401 0100 0032 (the "1" in the second group may activate the option)

720-10-01 2000 0400 005C (the "2" in the first group may activate the option)

16. 505bbjason

505bbjason Active Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
    0   0   0
    Has anyone figured out what the additional steps outside of FORscan are for 19’s yet? Before I go down this path, I want to be able to make sure my dealer can help.

17. Tweeter2148

Tweeter2148 Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Hey Jason, I hope that you will have better luck with it than me if you do decide to go down this path. My dealership was not able to figure it out on my '19 after even keeping it for a week at the shop. They basically had no idea what to do and of course they said that Ford would not help them figure it out since the car didn't come that way. They got the controls to show up on the dash after I told them what line to change (720-10) but they couldn't figure anything else out. I have a Roush supercharger on the car and they finally just said that they can't do it because of the Roush tune. To me that seems like total bs but whatever. I installed a Borla active exhaust on the car and I was only really wanting it as either open or closed anyway. So I'm going to cut the active exhaust motors open and install a switch like Breeves002 did at the beginning of this thread. He is helping me out with some of the extra parts that I need now.

I also spoke with Fairplayinc about his '19 setup. He said to find an exact match car, same year, same specs and options but with the active exhaust option. Give the dealership that cars VIN and have them flash its PCM data to yours. Again, my dealership wouldn't do it and blamed it on having a Roush tune on my car.

Also just to mention, with the new aftermarket active exhaust (no actuators installed)..... with the car off, I can just turn the butterfly valves on both mufflers all the way open by hand, start the car and drive around or again with the car off.... close the valves all the way by hand, start the car and drive around. (I say by hand, I use a screwdriver to reach in though the exhaust tip and turn the valves) They are staying in either position (fully open or fully closed) that I put them in, which works OK for me until I get the switch installed to control them.

18. DuRsT

DuRsT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    So this is not plug and play for the 2019’s? I checked and mine has the plug.

19. 88lx50

88lx50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I think it's plug and play but the programming is more involved. If you have the plug, all the wiring and hardware is there.

20. DuRsT

DuRsT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I wish it was as straightforward as it was for the 18's.

Installation + some Forscan changes. Almost seems a little dicey asking the dealership to do anything other than an oil change. In my experience they don't do well thinking outside the box.