• Watchers 7

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
This is just more proof that Ford did an exceptional job with the new '15 GT PP. Happy to be receiving mine in about 2 weeks. Kudos to Ford for a job well done!
Sponsored

mustangletback

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 droptop mustang
Wow, the z28 was only 3 seconds quicker than a loaded GTPP... Some tires and suspension tuning will get that GT real close to that z28. Good job Ford...

Automobile is the sister publication of Motor Trend, I'm not sure what this comparison is suppose to accomplish.

I am going to assume they weighed the car, since they are in a loaded Recaro GTPP Premium. Now, I'm not sure this is correct but, they managed to save 110lbs between the Motor Trend GT and their test GT. I didn't think the standard seats were that heavy. I said maybe a 70-90lbs savings... Both cars optioned accordingly.

Is it safe to assume the OFFICIAL 2015 GT's curb weight of 3705lbs is indeed a loaded, Premium GTPP with Recaro's? We know that a GT with standard seats weighs 3815lbs. I have a feeling that the reported 3620lbs on some sites is the actual base curb weight.
What this tells me like i have thought all the time was,the great track times that the z28 had been put up was a RINGER car.Motor Trend is pro chevy with their ace in the hole randy the driver that short shifts the mustang so the camaro can win in their test.These guys here took all 3 out,and the mustang was alot closer to the z28 than what people think.This also tells me that if the regular GT350 beats the z28 around the track,as i think it might,then the GT350 R is gonna go at a higher class of car.:lol::ford:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Like everyone else here, I don't get the comparison of these cars. The Challenger and Z/28 against each other makes some sense, since they're both the high-end performance versions, but the GTPP is clearly a very slightly modified base car. The GT350 of course would be much more comparable.

I haven't seen it discussed elsewhere, but apparently Chevy is now offering a "track pack" of sorts to add onto the 1LE, using parts from the Z/28 and ZL1. Sounds like sort of a "Z/28 Junior," and maybe you can keep some of the amenities. It does add $12,000 to the price, though. It sounds like the equivalent of Ford taking a bunch of stuff from the Ford Racing catalog and installing it as a package.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...et-camaro-ss-ultimate-track-package/19821799/

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
So, let's theorize....add 100 more HP to the GTPP, put even better brakes on it, give it a Mag suspension, better Aero, wider and stickier tires, take some weight off of it (okay, I can dream can't I?) and those 3 seconds disappear. Have it sound awesome, have a (still) very nice interior with more than 1 stupid door chime speaker and sell it for $20,000 less than a Z28 and I don't see how on God's green earth the GT350 loses any magazine comparo to the Z28. I have to think that an additional 70 HP alone (just equalling the HP to the Z28) would have brought the lap time of the Mustang GT pretty close to the Z28.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
So, let's theorize....add 100 more HP to the GTPP, put even better brakes on it, give it a Mag suspension, better Aero, wider and stickier tires, take some weight off of it (okay, I can dream can't I?) and those 3 seconds disappear. Have it sound awesome, have a (still) very nice interior with more than 1 stupid door chime speaker and sell it for $20,000 less than a Z28 and I don't see how on God's green earth the GT350 loses any magazine comparo to the Z28. I have to think that an additional 70 HP alone (just equalling the HP to the Z28) would have brought the lap time of the Mustang GT pretty close to the Z28.
I don't think hp is that big of a factor on a track like this.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Is it just me, or did they used canned M3/M4 exhaust sounds during the initial Mustang "open road" portion? Around 1:20 - 1:40 in the video. Definitely not a Mustang with a manual transmission.

Other than that, it was a great review of three awesome cars. You guys don't need to always compare apples to apples. Sometimes you need to decide between an orange and a pear. Just enjoy the discussion of the cars (and the fact that the Mustang "won").

-T

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
3 sec is a lot in a 2.14 mile track. The z28 would lap the mustang in just 34 laps or 73 miles. But again these should not even be compared to each other.
Oh, don't get me wrong, 3 seconds is faster indeed. It just makes the gap between the 1LE and z28 appear to be very, very small.

Let's pretend for a minute, let's pretend a 1LE was included here...

We all know the 1LE was 1.5 seconds faster than a GTPP at 1.8 mile track right? If said 1LE was to put a similar gap on the GTPP during this 2.2 mile race, it puts a 1LE right up a z28's a$$. For half the $$... Maybe the z28 could go faster but, using the other run by the z28 at the same track and... well... It's about the same. Am I to believe the 1LE is within a second of the z28???

Because that is what this report is telling me... Unless a 1LE isnt as competitive on this track but, both laps were done on tight courses.

Inconsistencies in these reports make me vomit... Especially seeing them pencil whip the curb weights in.

PsyopGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Commuter cars
Oh, don't get me wrong, 3 seconds is faster indeed. It just makes the gap between the 1LE and z28 appear to be very, very small.

Let's pretend for a minute, let's pretend a 1LE was included here...

We all know the 1LE was 1.5 seconds faster than a GTPP at 1.8 mile track right? If said 1LE was to put a similar gap on the GTPP during this 2.2 mile race, it puts a 1LE right up a z28's a$$. For half the $$... Maybe the z28 could go faster but, using the other run by the z28 at the same track and... well... It's about the same. Am I to believe the 1LE is within a second of the z28???

Because that is what this report is telling me... Unless a 1LE isnt as competitive on this track but, both laps were done on tight courses.

Inconsistencies in these reports make me vomit... Especially seeing them pencil whip the curb weights in.
This is where you go wrong. You can't extrapolate time differences on a track and apply it to an entirely different track. Different bends, twists, angles and straights. The 1LE isn't even the same league on a road course the Z28.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
This is where you go wrong. You can't extrapolate time differences on a track and apply it to an entirely different track. Different bends, twists, angles and straights.
No, nor would a 1LE look as lusterious in this test... Or, it would be closer to the z28 than GM would like.

All in all, its completely possible the 1LE is exactly 1.5 seconds ahead of the GT here as well but, as you say, lap times do not translate from track to track. Nobody wants to see a 1LE get within a second of the z28 and nobody wants to see a 1LE fall within a second of a volume selling Pony car.

By lap 7, the z28 would be completely out of fuel... Another area the 1LE and GT excel where "race" engineers failed on the z28. Even if it could heat race, it wouldn't make it 20-30 laps that are usually required...

...I don't want to hear anything about consistency. Fuel, brake fluid and tire wear are all an issue on the z28. Nothing will change that... Oil temps are too high as well. Some race car...

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Is it just me, or did they used canned M3/M4 exhaust sounds during the initial Mustang "open road" portion? Around 1:20 - 1:40 in the video. Definitely not a Mustang with a manual transmission.

Other than that, it was a great review of three awesome cars. You guys don't need to always compare apples to apples. Sometimes you need to decide between an orange and a pear. Just enjoy the discussion of the cars (and the fact that the Mustang "won").

-T

+1 I don't care if they compare cars from different price ranges. They didn't bash any single car for being less than the others so there was nothing unfair.

Also I think they put the Hellcat auto-trans sound clip for the Mustang at that spot by accident. Def not the M3/4.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Has there been a direct comparison between the Z/28 and 1LE? I understand the law of diminishing returns but sheesh, $30k buys you what exactly over the 1LE? Is the LS7 that expensive to produce?

HSV used this donk in the W427. A very well engineered high performance vehicle, same vain as the Z/28, but it ended up being twice the price of it's stablemates. Twice the price at over AU$140k!

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The LS7 is a very expensive motor to produce and is largely obsolete, the Z/28 is its last hurrah of glory.

The extra $30K buys you the LS7, the aero bits, CC brakes, suspension and the rims/tires. All those items have a very significant amount of cost, but also are largely overkill. Hell the tires themselves are expensive as all hell and only last one or two track days.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

-T
OMG you are so right!!! Plus it was an automatic which we all know does not come with a GT Performance Pack. That is crazy they did that. Good catch!

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
Not exactly PsyOPS

On a tight course like that 3 seconds is an eternity. That isn't discounting that Ford DID do a great job on the Mustang GT (sans the styling IMO), but it's not even in the same league as the Z28, nor should it be expected to be.

Suggesting otherwise is akin to members on ChallengerTalk who claim the Hellcat handles as well as this car.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/3991378-post28.html
Please stop exaggerating. No "reputable/informed" person on CT said this. They have fanboy's (as do all these sites) that say stupid things every now and then.

PsyopGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Commuter cars
Please stop exaggerating. No "reputable/informed" person on CT said this. They have fanboy's (as do all these sites) that say stupid things every now and then.
Informed? Obviously not. Define "reputable". A few of their regulars, who were actually claiming the Hellcat is in the same league with handling as the Ford GT. Want another example? Here.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...gt-there-new-king-streets-291498/index20.html

Obviously they don't all believe this, but there is a common belief over there that the Hellcat is a top shelf car on a road course as well as the drag strip. Show them a road course test where the Hellcat not only gets destroyed by a Z28 (obviously it would), but it also gets beat on a road course by a Mustang GT, and it's "he can't drive" and "he's too scared of the car".

Lots of examples of that in this thread.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...8-vs-hellcat-vs-mustang-gt-294978/index8.html
Sponsored