Sponsored

2015 GTPP vs. Z28 vs. Hellcat

• Thread starter motoroid65
  • Start date
  • Watchers 7

motoroid65

Automobile mag compared these 3 cars.

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...hustle/#ooid=l1eTJ4cTr0VoA5eAlNSzayqRudIHlwHW

[ame]

"The freewheeling, wide-open era of the American automobile, unfortunately, is over. Time to face reality.”—Motor Trend, February 1974

That’s the trouble with trying to predict the future: You never know how it’s going to turn out. Exactly 41 years after that gloomy quote from our sister publication—written amid the bleakness of gas-rationed, emissions-strangled 1970s America—not only is the freewheeling, wide-open era of the American automobile not over, it’s outrunning even our wildest dreams and throwing a wild foam party to celebrate. As evidenced by the three spectacular new sports machines you see here—the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, and the Ford Mustang GT—the Big Three aren’t just back, they’re taking names and slapping in-your-face high-fives each time they humiliate a sniffy rival. On tap are mind-bending horsepower, Le Mans moves, cutting-edge electronic gizmos, and designs that, at a glance, can squeeze an adrenal gland dry in seconds. This is American Hustle, circa 2015, and it’s so damn fabulous we’re black and blue from pinching ourselves.

Three of a Kind

And so it is in 2015, though these latest hustlers have simply gone gonzo with performance goodies. The least potent member of the trio, the new 2015 Ford Mustang GT, romps with 435 hp from its 5.0-liter DOHC V-8. Its long-serving, much-maligned live rear axle at last is dead, replaced by a modern, multilink independent rear suspension. An available Performance Pack (included on our test car) adds tighter springs, high-pressure gas dampers in back, a stiffer rear anti-roll bar, big Brembo brakes, and more. The new bodywork is clean and handsome but flaunts a decidedly European aesthetic; Ford’s design team across the pond did much of the styling. It’s undoubtedly unsettling to the Mustang faithful on our shores—the forums are full of groans over the new look—but also probably necessary given Ford’s plans to market the car worldwide. Base price for the new 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium: $36,925. With the Performance Pack ($2,495), leather Recaro seats ($1,595), navigation ($795), and more, our test car checked in at $45,885.

The Mustang is a suave, Euro-flavored GT.

The original Challenger died out in 1974, but Dodge wowed the crowds at the 2006 Detroit auto show when it unveiled its fabulous, retro-savvy Challenger concept car. Two years later, it sent all those starry-eyed onlookers into a mass-hysteria happy dance when its production Challenger road car finally appeared—looking pretty much the same. And while various Challengers since have featured impressive engines, including an SRT model making 470 horses, the latest and greatest Dodge simply blows all of them into oblivion. With a supercharged, twin-intercooled 6.2-liter Hemi V-8 with 707 hp, you can now buy a street-legal Dodge with near-NASCAR output and a top speed just one tick below 200 mph. Also on board: an optional eight-speed ZF automatic with paddle shifters; Brembo brakes the size of a sombrero; 20-inch, seven-spoke “Slingshot” forged-alloy wheels; and a slew of stability-control electronics to try to keep the whole thing on the ground. All-in price, including leather seats, navigation, and $1,700 in gas guzzler tax, is a cool $65,870.

The Hellcat is an AUTOMIC SUBWOOFER on wheels.

If the Mustang is a suave, Euro-flavored GT and the Hellcat an atomic subwoofer on wheels, Chevy’s groundbreaking new Camaro Z/28 is as focused as a jet fighter. Check first under the hood: Therein lies a true leviathan of a V-8, the same dry-sump, naturally aspirated 7.0-liter LS7 that powered last year’s Corvette Z06. Output, all 505 hp of it, flows to the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28’s rear wheels through a short-throw, close-ratio six-speed manual and a Torsen limited-slip differential. Brakes are enormous Brembo carbon ceramics, standard. The chassis benefits from exotic spool-valve dampers straight off a Formula 1 grid. And the Z/28 wears what’s said to be the world’s widest production-car front tires, 305/30ZR-19 Pirelli P Zero Trofeo Rs, the design a supersticky compound that delivers staggering braking and cornering power. Indeed, so dedicated is this new Camaro to speed, the “stereo” has but one speaker, and air conditioning is included only by special option. But prepare thyself for sticker shock of the 480-volt variety: Including guzzler tax, the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 checks in at $75,000. That thud you just heard was your Uncle Vinnie, who grew up driving Camaros, fainting in the family room.

Apex Predators

Cars as explosive as these three need a proper firing range, so to give each of them a proper, timed shakedown (that’s a lie: we just wanted to drive them really fast), we headed straight to 2.2-mile GingerMan Raceway in western Michigan.

Slide show: The Hellcat tracks through a GingerMan bend in its preferred attitude—all crossed up—thanks to a supercharged, 6.2-liter volcano. Weighing nearly 4,450 pounds, the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is no circuit wizard. But write it off as a big, clumsy bruiser, and you’ll end up choking on its tire smoke. The broad-shouldered gladiator carves with remarkable adroitness for its heft, and though the steering wheel admittedly feels more like a suggestion than a command, the Hellcat dances like a circus bear. Part of its magic is a surprisingly stiff structure, which keeps roll to a minimum and holds the tires in proper contact with the tarmac. The other ingredient is pure muscle. With 650 lb-ft on tap, the Hellcat could park in corners and still be entertaining on the track—it’s just that quick hammering down the straights. (Zero to 60 mph flashes by in just 3.7 seconds.)

In-house hot shoe Marc Noordeloos, who ran all our timed laps, reports: “The Hellcat is an animal. It has pretty good balance, which is surprising. I respected the brakes, and they held up quite well. In all, far better than I thought it’d be.” Mind you, Marc ran his timed laps with the traction-control system set in Sport. Turn the nannies off completely and, well, after we tried that it took about 20 minutes for the tire smoke to clear (and our pulse to drop to 130).

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat lap time: 1:45.8

Ford’s Mustang GT is a paragon of balance. The “slowest” of the trio, at 4.4 seconds to 60 mph, the ’Stang is still plenty quick hurtling around a race circuit—aided by a terrific six-speed manual, good steering feel, and a graceful chassis. The GT feels smaller than its rivals; it’s easy to aim, and visibility is excellent. Too bad that it’s not livelier. Blame the extra weight**—the 2015 edition has packed on nearly 100 pounds compared to its predecessor. And although the new independent rear suspension handles that avoirdupois with poise, we can’t help but think the new car should be lighter.

Noordeloos certainly enjoyed his laps. “Fun and quick on the track. Impressive. Balanced. Puts the power down nicely. The Track mode of the ESP is smartly set up. Brembo brakes held up well.” One complaint shared by several of us: The V-8 is too buttoned-down. A little more fire in the exhaust, some added sizzle and spit would go a long way toward upping the GT’s sex appeal. But we’re picking nits here. The new Mustang is a fabulous all-rounder and easily bested the big Hellcat around GingerMan. And Ford isn’t done. When the Mustang GT350 edition arrives next year, the package will evolve to true supercar status. Yeah, we’re salivating, too.

Ford Mustang GT lap time: 1:44.8

Dearborn reborn: The latest Mustang V-8 enjoys significant power strides, thanks to new heads with high-flow ports, larger valves, and intake and exhaust cams with increased lift. The balanced chassis is happy to cut loose, too.

Given its hardware and mission profile, we expected a lot from Chevy’s new purebred. It delivered. The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 is to regular Camaros what a scalpel is to a steak knife. On the racetrack, its home field, it’s a cheetah on the Serengeti. Except it never tires out. And it eats everything in its path (Lamborghinis included). Here’s Noordeloos after his hot laps, trying to speak through an embarrassingly massive grin: “The Z/28 is insane around GingerMan. The grip is astonishing. It’s more race car than street car. Most street-legal auto-mobiles fall on their face when pushed hard during extended runs on a circuit. That’s not the case here. You can really lean on the minimalist Camaro, abusing it lap after lap. The Multimatic dampers work wonders, allowing the supersticky Pirellis to work their magic. I especially love the way it ….” At that point, we had to cut Marc off. He was beginning to froth at the mouth.

The Z/28 does that to you. No previous Camaro experience prepares you for how good it is on the racetrack. Its handling is nothing short of sensational. It is a game-changing machine. Its lap time—a full 3 seconds quicker than the Mustang GT—says it all.

Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 lap time: 1:41.8

Track meat: A superstar on the circuit, the Z/28 uses a bounty of race hardware in the LS7 V-8—including titanium intake valves and con rods, cold-air induction, a huge K&N air filter, and dry-sump oil system. USA! USA!

The Real World

As performance-oriented as each of these new rides is, the question looms: Could you live with one day to day? Answer: easily. Of the trio, the track-focused 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 is the least comfortable on normal roads—its ride is harsher, the controls heavier. But it’s still completely tractable; the mighty engine never complains at low speed, and the lone speaker will output music if you need something besides V-8 rumble in your ears. The interior is comfortably outfitted with outstanding seats, a thick steering wheel and well-spaced pedals. If you’re willing to put up with a little extra effort and a lot fewer amenities during normal commutes, the Z/28 will pay you back on every twisty road you can find like few other road cars in the world.The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, for all its God of Thunder potential, is a peach at heart. Drive it gently, and it thrums along happily. This car, chock full of amenities, is tailor-built for long-distance motoring. The ride is almost plush, the controls smooth, the engine a waterfall of torque. And when the mood strikes, simply plant your right foot, and all cares (and just about everything else) disappear.

The author savors a fine cigar in the smokin’ room. The 2015 Ford Mustang GT strikes the group’s best track/road trade-off. Quick if not breathtaking on the track, it’s also sweet and satisfying blasting along a mountain two-lane. Some of the interior bits are downright silly (strange one-way toggle switches; a speedometer that reads “Ground Speed”), but all the standard conveniences are there for times when you’d simply like to let the miles roll on. This is the everyday ponycar, the versatility champ. The GT even stands as a performance bargain.

The Mustang GT strikes the group's best track/road trade-off.

Our opinions are divided over which of the three we like best. We’re unanimous, though, in our agreement that all three practitioners of the new American Hustle rock. No one alive during the dreary 1970s likely could’ve predicted we’d be enjoying muscle cars this fast and engaging and true to the original paradigm four decades later.

“Time to face reality,” we heard back in 1974. Well, we’re staring it right in its 2015 face. And reality sure looks amazing to us.
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Wow, the z28 was only 3 seconds quicker than a loaded GTPP... Some tires and suspension tuning will get that GT real close to that z28. Good job Ford...

Automobile is the sister publication of Motor Trend, I'm not sure what this comparison is suppose to accomplish.

I am going to assume they weighed the car, since they are in a loaded Recaro GTPP Premium. Now, I'm not sure this is correct but, they managed to save 110lbs between the Motor Trend GT and their test GT. I didn't think the standard seats were that heavy. I said maybe a 70-90lbs savings... Both cars optioned accordingly.

Is it safe to assume the OFFICIAL 2015 GT's curb weight of 3705lbs is indeed a loaded, Premium GTPP with Recaro's? We know that a GT with standard seats weighs 3815lbs. I have a feeling that the reported 3620lbs on some sites is the actual base curb weight.

OP
OP

motoroid65

That was the first thing I noticed too. 3 sec difference is going to be made up in no time with all the improvements in the 350.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Wow, the z28 was only 3 seconds quicker than a loaded GTPP... Some tires and suspension tuning will get that GT real close to that z28. Good job Ford...

Automobile is the sister publication of Motor Trend, I'm not sure what this comparison is suppose to accomplish.

I am going to assume they weighed the car, since they are in a loaded Recaro GTPP Premium. Now, I'm not sure this is correct but, they managed to save 110lbs between the Motor Trend GT and their test GT. I didn't think the standard seats were that heavy. I said maybe a 70-90lbs savings... Both cars optioned accordingly.

Is it safe to assume the OFFICIAL 2015 GT's curb weight of 3705lbs is indeed a loaded, Premium GTPP with Recaro's? We know that a GT with standard seats weighs 3815lbs. I have a feeling that the reported 3620lbs on some sites is the actual base curb weight.
So true about the tires on the stang!

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of the wording about the Mustang's suggested cons are things I love about it: the Euro-esque styling, the toggles, the ground speed labeling, etc.

What a weird match up. Decent read despite it being a bunch of hyperbole.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
A lot of the wording about the Mustang's suggested cons are things I love about it: the Euro-esque styling, the toggles, the ground speed labeling, etc.

What a weird match up. Decent read despite it being a bunch of hyperbole.
If anything, the gap Motor Trend reported between the 1LE and GTPP makes the 1LE look to almost topple the z28 here. If running a 1LE during this test would have netted a 1:42, it makes the z28 look weak compared to the $39,000 1LE.

Again, put tires and suspension tune on a 1LE and it is faster than the $80,000 z28.

This is the kinda contradictions you get when you pencil whip numbers for the sake of the advertisement space. They just inadvertently made the z28 look bad...

Of course, Al Openbudwieser will be along to talk about the secret 1:38 they did that day.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Who the heck going to pay $75k for a car without Air Condiction?. None GM fans that are eyeing on Z28 will quickly get on board with GT350.

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' base GT w/3.55s
2 things I dont understand. First why is the GT being compared to two cars that arent in the same category, redo the test with the GT350. Second is Dodge's logic behind the Hell cat, challengers are the least sold of the three. Rather than addressing the problem of weight and cornering they just throw more power at it, why?

DABKO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt & 2001 DHG Bullitt
2 things I dont understand. First why is the GT being compared to two cars that arent in the same category, redo the test with the GT350. Second is Dodge's logic behind the Hell cat, challengers are the least sold of the three. Rather than addressing the problem of weight and cornering they just throw more power at it, why?
In the case of the Challenger, FCA is not currently in a position financially or platform wise (until the Alpha Romeo RWD platforms are launched) to do anything but go the horsepower route. The Challenger is stuck with the 300 based platform for a few more years at least.

PsyopGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Commuter cars

On a tight course like that 3 seconds is an eternity. That isn't discounting that Ford DID do a great job on the Mustang GT (sans the styling IMO), but it's not even in the same league as the Z28, nor should it be expected to be.

Suggesting otherwise is akin to members on ChallengerTalk who claim the Hellcat handles as well as this car.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/3991378-post28.html

Sponsored

backhill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 M3
^^ This. 3 seconds on a tight track like that is an eternity. You'll need more than suspension and tires to get the GTPP there.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Mustang GT w/PP $35K out the door (base model with x-plan)
Camaro Z28 $80K out the door
Hellcat $68K out the door

Really? Is this even worth debating? I love these other cars but with that price difference the GT wins! I'll throw a Ford Racing exhaust on mine and be happy with the $30K-$40K savings in the bank. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Last edited:

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
On a tight course like that 3 seconds is an eternity. That isn't discounting that Ford DID do a great job on the Mustang GT (sans the styling IMO), but it's not even in the same league as the Z28, nor should it be expected to be.

Suggesting otherwise is akin to members on ChallengerTalk who claim the Hellcat handles as well as this car.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/3991378-post28.html
Oh you mean Challengerbutthurtletsmakeexcuses.com? Yeah nothing new there.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
3 sec is a lot in a 2.14 mile track. The z28 would lap the mustang in just 34 laps or 73 miles. But again these should not even be compared to each other.

Momentum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss302R, Z28, R8, Porsche GT3 Cup
This comparison (like most mag pieces) is pretty useless. But 3 seconds on a short track is an eternity. And no one mentions the repeatability factor. Many cars can do a fast hero lap. But most can't do them all day, which is what we do when we track cars. The GT500 and ZL1 can do fast laps, but without mods to keep IAT's down, they are done after the first hot session. And that's before mentioning the brakes. I've seen many a fast car get parked when they return to the paddock whitefaced. The brake pedal went to the floor entering the keyhole after 15 laps!
Sponsored