bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
How you see this battle playing out at the drag strip and the road course? Dodge just announced a red eye hellcat edition with 800hp. Going to be hard to top that at the strip. The ZL1 is the current lap time champ. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
I like that we live in a world with so many great options!

I am interested to see where the GT500 shakes out in terms of lap times and drag times relative to the competition. If I were in the market for a GT500 I would have a difficult time justifying paying an ADM when the competition can be had at or below MSRP.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
How you see this battle playing out at the drag strip and the road course? Dodge just announced a red eye hellcat edition with 800hp. Going to be hard to top that at the strip. The ZL1 is the current lap time champ. Thoughts?
A 2018 $40,000 Stock GT auto with a stage 1 Whipple can beat the Redeye with good rubber on the strip. I would hope the GT500 can too.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My first thought is that Dodge is doing a good job and I'd bet that Challengers will continue selling well, despite the old platform. Not sure the extra power will make the car faster in most situations, though. Maybe a slight amount of trap speed through the 1/4?

Road course the Dodge is a non-factor in most cases, isn't it? Did the wide body thing make a huge improvement? I don't think I've seen much on the road course performance of the Dodge for a while. The last I remember a stock Mustang GT beat a Hellcat on a road course by a large margin.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Dodge can make power but it just can't seem to consistently put it down. However, I love their styling the most and their motors sound amazing. The cars are actually somewhat comfortable so I get it. I think that's what they're going for. If you drive one of those hellcats, at some point you will experience acceleration faster than any other car on the road around you even if it can't be sustained for a 1/4 mile. In that sense, the overall experience can't be measured by the 1/4 mile metric but it's there for an overbearing portion of it. That's why they sell.

I really want that GT500 competing with corvettes. The ZL1 barely keeps up with baseline stingrays in a straight line and gets tossed in the curves and the stingrays are selling for less! It's a pointless car in it's own lineup, a car for people who really need ~600whp and to put a car seat in yet don't want to wait a couple years to just buy a corvette. If the GT500 can't compete with it then I couldn't really care about it, either. Shit or get off the pot.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
My first thought is that Dodge is doing a good job and I'd bet that Challengers will continue selling well, despite the old platform. Not sure the extra power will make the car faster in most situations, though. Maybe a slight amount of trap speed through the 1/4?

Road course the Dodge is a non-factor in most cases, isn't it? Did the wide body thing make a huge improvement? I don't think I've seen much on the road course performance of the Dodge for a while. The last I remember a stock Mustang GT beat a Hellcat on a road course by a large margin.
The Hellcat does what it does. But it does it well. Straight lines and bulavarde cruising. Are it’s nitch. To be honest. I’m selling my race car to get money up for a GT500. But the Hellcat is my backup plan. If the Mustang is priced out of the segment. Or ADM runs wild! And now that Dodge has announced the power increase for 2019.There should be some fat deals waiting for me on leftover hellcats. If I go that route. The ZL1 will probably come in a distant third. In the drag race. But I’m very interested to see how a GT350 with a blower will do (GT500) against the ZL1 on the twisties.. I don’t think getting beat at the road course is as big a deal as getting beat at the drag strip. As far as the Mustang is concerned. As far as which one will be the best seller. That’s easy provided they are priced competitively. The Mustang will outsell all. The Hellcat will be second and the Camaro ZL1 will suffer the same results as the lower trim Camaros.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I don't even see people cross shopping like this.

The hellcat is great of you don't use your steering wheel to turn, or your brakes to brake. If driving a strait line is all you are about, then the hellcat is it. But unfortunately, my commutes require steering wheel input, so I see no reason for a fake sporty car.

But, if 1/4 miles is your thing then see cobra jet, eos.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
The Hellcat does what it does. But it does it well. Straight lines and bulavarde cruising. Are it’s nitch. To be honest. I’m selling my race car to get money up for a GT500. But the Hellcat is my backup plan. If the Mustang is priced out of the segment. Or ADM runs wild! And now that Dodge has announced the power increase for 2019.There should be some fat deals waiting for me on leftover hellcats. If I go that route. The ZL1 will probably come in a distant third. In the drag race. But I’m very interested to see how a GT350 with a blower will do (GT500) against the ZL1 on the twisties.. I don’t think getting beat at the road course is as big a deal as getting beat at the drag strip. As far as the Mustang is concerned. As far as which one will be the best seller. That’s easy provided they are priced competitively. The Mustang will outsell all. The Hellcat will be second and the Camaro ZL1 will suffer the same results as the lower trim Camaros.
Well said and great plan .i own a 17 A8 Hellcat and 18 A10 pp gt i love them both and the hellcat is a beast runs hard and is comfy its a great grand touring car too ..and contrary to belief it handles really good too .. Also they can be had for cheap now .i got 8K off and leased it 3k total out of pocket at .1 interest and pay 630 a month with a buy out of 40k its a great deal for so much car

ls6-m22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice cars
The ZL1 barely keeps up with baseline stingrays in a straight line and gets tossed in the curves and the stingrays are selling for less!

Base Stingrays are selling for less but I wouldn't say they are in the same performance league as a ZL1

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Well said and great plan .i own a 17 A8 Hellcat and 18 A10 pp gt i love them both and the hellcat is a beast runs hard and is comfy its a great grand touring car too ..and contrary to belief it handles really good too .. Also they can be had for cheap now .i got 8K off and leased it 3k total out of pocket at .1 interest and pay 630 a month with a buy out of 40k its a great deal for so much car
The Hell cat doesn't turn line is internet nonsense. It turns very well for a giant 4600 pound car. I driving both manual and Automatic models. It's no ZL1 or GT350! But it's fine for the 95% of people that buy in this segment. That will never once see a road course in any of the three cars mentioned. I totally agree with you. Itll easily be the Most comfortable of the three. And has a nice relaxed ride. All though. The ZL1 ride isn't bad if you can live with a million blind spots. If the GT500 drives anything like my GT. I'd still pick that over a Hellcat or ZL1!I'm also thinking about the Collector Value of these three cars. Does the Demon Help or hurt the Hellcat's collectability? Will the ZL1 or GT500 be the most Collectable? Because of how it does everything well?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I am more worried about the profit of the GT500.
Dont worry. I read there will be a hertz gt500. So as long as we have fleet sales. We'll be fine.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I'm not sure where you guys have seen the cars race at in a straight line but the GT500 wont need much to beat them. At the half mile runs my stock '18 GT PP A10 is side-by-side with a TrackHawk and 2 cars behind a 6th Gen ZL1 :shrug:

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure where you guys have seen the cars race at in a straight line but the GT500 wont need much to beat them. At the half mile runs my stock '18 GT PP A10 is side-by-side with a TrackHawk and 2 cars behind a 6th Gen ZL1 :shrug:
:D:D:DOK....Your only 2 lengths behind a Car that's got 200Hp on ya.
Sponsored