Sponsored

2015 GT350 vs 1LE or Z28

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
I am wondering where the GT350 will come in, suspension and tires wise vs the two Camaros.

What are the parameters that will define it as a 1LE competitor or a Z28 competitor?

HP? CC Discs? Magnetic dampers? Tires? Price? The .R version?
Whatever MotorTrend pronounces it to be?

If the street version is faster than a 1LE, but not faster than a Z28 because of tires, will that make it a 'failed Z28 competitor'?

I am pulling for the GT350 to be an affordable and streetable Track Pack/Boss-like version of the GT with the Coyote or optional Voodoo motor.
Sponsored

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
It wont happen, but people and magazines need to stop judging which car is "Best", by comparing tenths of a second on whatever the test of the month is.

A Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, STI, BMW, etc, all have their appeal. I seriously cant think of too many folks who will chose brand X over brand Y solely becuse it is .0X faster at the inverted counterclockwise figure 8 with traction control on.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Magnetic dampers?

The Z/28 doesn't have magnetic dampers.

To the original point, I don't care if they make it a Z/28 competitor because I want to be able to afford the damn car.

BobDigi5060

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
If the street version is faster than a 1LE, but not faster than a Z28 because of tires, will that make it a 'failed Z28 competitor'?
To be the best you have to beat the best. I highly doubt Ford isn't gunning for the Z/28 and ZL1.

The Z/28 was crowned MT's Best Driver's Car this year. MT is not the end all be all, but the car is universally recognized as something special. "Outstanding" as Car & Driver would put it. I find substance in what these editors and drivers have to say about the sports cars out there.

Camaro5 went out with a bang, and if the GT350 doesn't make the same impact as the Z/28 or 1LE has, I would call it a failure. Let's keep this rivalry alive, it's not going to be won on interior fit and finish or daily driving capabilities.

BobDigi5060

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
When I say best I mean in what Detroit has to offer. Hellcats, Z/28s, those are acquired tastes. But, the Mustang and Camaro will always be direct competitors.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think price will be the most significant factor in trying to decide where it competes.

I don't think it will be a clear choice however, because I think the price will be $10,000-$15,000 more than the 1LE but $10,000-$15,000 less than the Z28 (I'm guessing $55,000 to $65,000 for the GT350, depending on content). I'm hoping it is closer to the 1LE than the Z28 in price, but trying not to set myself up for disappointment.

I really hope it beats the 1LE in track performance. It doesn't need to beat the Z28 as long as it is more available, less expensive, and still drives really well. It can have less overall grip, but should be well damped, have fixed piston calipers on all wheels (OK with me if the rotors are cast iron), and be very well balanced. I don't want complaints about understeer transitioning to oversteer in a strange manner. Leave that for Jaguar.

I expect to see r-compound options, carbon ceramic brake options, and possibly rear-seat delete options.

I do hope the car gets compared to the Z28, as that is a natural competitor due to the relative positions in the respective lineups, even if the price difference is significant.

-T