Sponsored

2015 5.0L Coyote Engine Changes

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I remember seeing spy videos and photos of a version with quad pipes, and so far all the release pictures have shown dual pipes.

Seems like there must be something special still out there, under development, waiting to be revealed.

I also have my doubts about a flat plane crank, given how good the crate versions of the current engine are. Seems like a huge effort for little gain, but maybe there are some homologation rules for certain racing series where the engine needs to be based off a street version. Still doubting one will appear, but that is one prediction where I'd love to be proven wrong.

-T

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Flat plane crank? Not sure if necessary.

Thanks for the nice comment my GM bretheren, and as long as they are past the radiator, which is the best heat exchanger for the motor, it will help pull heat out of the engine compartment, and increase airflow through said radiator. I'm am not saying they are functional because I do not honestly know. But if they are, they will increase air through the radiator.
So they're not for the ram effect when racing in reverse?

Haz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FPV GS Superchanged V8
So this is for low end torque AND high end horsepower? I'm just trying to figure out why any physical restriction in the airflow pathway would be a good thing.
Also think of the old Cleveland engine with either 2V heads or 4V heads, 2V heads were better for lower RPM power and 4V heads were better for upper mid and high RPM with Bigger Cam :ford:

Sponsored

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
I just hope the ride is alot more comfortable on bumpy roads vs. Solid Live Axle suspension of the past now.
If it is at least as good as our Falcons, you will be pleasantly blown away by the improvement in all round driveability - handling dynamics and stability, breaking and traction over irregular surfaces, and yes even comfort (civilized).

shelbystang

Threads
Reaction score
If it is at least as good as our Falcons, you will be pleasantly blown away by the improvement in all round driveability - handling dynamics and stability, breaking and traction over irregular surfaces, and yes even comfort (civilized).
It's either that or a Dodge Challenger.:shrug:

shelbystang

Threads
Reaction score
It seems the new 5.0 Is going to be a serious "Game Changer" with major chasis and engine performance improvements.

I know I would be Dodging the Challenge...and grabbing the new 'Stang 5.0!! :ford:
I will know better once I test drive a new 2015 Mustang GT.
For now the Challenger is more comfortable to ride in and has alot more room.

Sponsored

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I agree with what has been posted in here earlier, that the revised 5.0 with conventional injection has potential to be a great modder's bargain.
Definitely excited for first dyno numbers! (Never quite trust the OEMs...)

Brew_WY

Threads
Reaction score
Yes, they look to be functional heat extractors appropriately placed in a low pressure zone on the hood. They will also decrease front end lift.

Something to consider about this 5.0 revision…
This and any other upcoming pre-DI iterations of the coyote may be the last good engines for serious mods/boost for several years. If you want great factory performance the DI's will be great, but I suspect it will take the aftermarket a while to address anything that requires fuel system mods, and when it first happens it will be pricey.
This is one of the reasons I WONT be holding off for the refresh. I'll be happy to move to a DI car once the aftermarket has caught up.
That said, the internal upgrades are pretty impressive. It's definitely more then I was expecting and has me wondering just how badass the SVT will be. I've been told it is very ambitious and impressive. I'm not sure I buy the FPC rumors though.
I agree with this as well. I personally don't want the added expense of DI on the motor. It performs well, but when researching parts for my EB FX4, I found that the stock fuel system is maxed in the 520-550HP range. I heard (from Full Race) there are some companies working on fuel system upgrades but I wasn't given names. I am a diesel guy and DI is an expensive toy I would prefer to avoid. Seeing some of the problems OEM's have had, it is something I would rather avoid. People have been making quad digit power numbers on our current fuel technology for a long time. I should be able to get by without it and have more money for other mods.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
I agree with this as well. I personally don't want the added expense of DI on the motor. It performs well, but when researching parts for my EB FX4, I found that the stock fuel system is maxed in the 520-550HP range. I heard (from Full Race) there are some companies working on fuel system upgrades but I wasn't given names. I am a diesel guy and DI is an expensive toy I would prefer to avoid. Seeing some of the problems OEM's have had, it is something I would rather avoid. People have been making quad digit power numbers on our current fuel technology for a long time. I should be able to get by without it and have more money for other mods.
I will be very pleased once DI makes its way into the coyote. I will never mod my motor (pun intended) to a point where a stock fuel system wont handle it. I plan nothing more than exhaust work, CAI if needed, a tune, and then springs and wheels. So, for my motor to come with DI just means that ill get an extra X amount of horsepower out of my car, and maybe a very slight increase in my gains from other small mods.
Lets say my non DI coyote makes 450, and my DI makes 480. Thats where I stop, so Ill be very happy with more out of the box power.
Sponsored