Sponsored

2015 5.0L Coyote Engine Changes

stable68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport
My guess is 450-475hp and will probably be a tad underrated as the 11-14s really make about 430 to the crank. If they add DI probably closer to 500hp.
Sponsored

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
It'll most likely be at most 450...and that's with the bimode exhaust option. GM won't exceed the Corvette's output. They will possibly and most likely match it, but exceeding it won't happen. Just like the LS1 and LS3 were identicle in their respective generations (though rated differently on paper) the LT1 will follow suit.

As far as chassis goes Alpha, while a vast Improvment over Zeta, hasn't yielded the weight loss predicted as of yet. I'm sure GM is diligently working on it, but to stay in a certain price bracket there is only so much you can do.
I agree that they won't surpass the corvette in terms of power, but they could always bump the corvettes power as well to keep up with the new mustang. I just hope for Ford's sake the new mustang isn't heavier. With the added weight it will have a hard time staying in front with less torque.

coair73x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
sold 2008 Mustang GT , 1970 Duster 340. P
I am really interested in Direct Injection and would wait to buy one if they where waiting until 2016 2017. I sold my 2008 GT last year and have survived waiting till the 2015 release. I hope by late in 2014 Ford will annouce Direct injection.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Could someone explain the charge motion control valves to a DOHC V8 newbie. (I'm used to GM OHV V8's)

What they do? Can they be "deactivated" to increase power. Stuff like that.

Sanctuary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German cars.
With all those changes, MAN I wonder what a tune can do! I agree it, it's got to be substantially higher than 420HP.

Sponsored

ARS

Threads
Reaction score
Could someone explain the charge motion control valves to a DOHC V8 newbie. (I'm used to GM OHV V8's)

I would like to know as well and not familiar with them.

OP
OP

RTD

Threads
Reaction score

They're just flaps (butterfly valves) inside the intake runners that partially close at low RPM to reduce flow and increase velocity and then open fully at high RPM.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Didn't the 3v 4.6 have these too?

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score

Haven't had hand on the '15 coyote yet, so not 100% its this exact style.

But the older variant IMRC (intake manifold runner control) used very small throttle blades inside each cylinder's intake runner that adjusted the amount of airflow into the cylinder.

The use of such on the old 4.6 4v's (cobra, mark 8, etc) was to restrict airflow at idle and low to mid range rpm, this gave an INCREASE in torque (at low to mid rpm) as compared to later 4v's sans the IMRC.

The IMRC was removed because it hindered the motor at high rpm (near 5hp loss on an otherwise 300hp motor) and was deemed unworthy of the extra cost. The removal of IMRC led to lower mid range toque (~5-7ft/lbs), (very very slightly) worse throttle response, and higher peak HP.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost

Some have touched on it. They make a delete kit on the 96-98 cobras that used to use this technology. It increased high rpm power but hurt low end, and didnt look great across the middle effectively making it good on the strip and sucky on the street. Too much head for 281 cubic inches. Now the next gen 4v came without those and more top end power with minimal loss in the low end due to redesign on the head. Then the 03 cobras came in and forced air down those 2 glorious intake ports and everything was right in the world. In summary I'm still not sold on the runner control because its been proven to be able to be improved on. The need for them most likely came with the larger valves. I will reserve final judgment until I see the torque curve. Hope this helped or was interesting. Just ask if you have questions I kinda am a nerd on the 4v 4.6s :D

Edit good one tear pretty much correct. The redesign led to almost no loss of torque except just off idle and made up for it literally everywhere else. It was much better which has me scratching my head but maybe the new tech is better or maybe that comes on the DI 5.0 ;)

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Haven't had hand on the '15 coyote yet, so not 100% its this exact style.

But the older variant IMRC (intake manifold runner control) used very small throttle blades inside each cylinder's intake runner that adjusted the amount of airflow into the cylinder.

The use of such on the old 4.6 4v's (cobra, mark 8, etc) was to restrict airflow at idle and low to mid range rpm, this gave an INCREASE in torque (at low to mid rpm) as compared to later 4v's sans the IMRC.

The IMRC was removed because it hindered the motor at high rpm (near 5hp loss on an otherwise 300hp motor) and was deemed unworthy of the extra cost. The removal of IMRC led to lower mid range toque (~5-7ft/lbs), (very very slightly) worse throttle response, and higher peak HP.
Some have touched on it. They make a delete kit on the 96-98 cobras that used to use this technology. It increased high rpm power but hurt low end, and didnt look great across the middle effectively making it good on the strip and sucky on the street. Too much head for 281 cubic inches. Now the next gen 4v came without those and more top end power with minimal loss in the low end due to redesign on the head. Then the 03 cobras came in and forced air down those 2 glorious intake ports and everything was right in the world. In summary I'm still not sold on the runner control because its been proven to be able to be improved on. The need for them most likely came with the larger valves. I will reserve final judgment until I see the torque curve. Hope this helped or was interesting. Just ask if you have questions I kinda am a nerd on the 4v 4.6s :D

Edit good one tear pretty much correct. The redesign led to almost no loss of torque except just off idle and made up for it literally everywhere else. It was much better which has me scratching my head but maybe the new tech is better or maybe that comes on the DI 5.0 ;)
So this is for low end torque AND high end horsepower? I'm just trying to figure out why any physical restriction in the airflow pathway would be a good thing.

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Good info, thanks for the post!

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
So this is for low end torque AND high end horsepower?
In this case I am unsure. In previous usage the IMRC gained low end torque over 75% of the curve.

However when USING this setup you sacrificed high end HP.
When IMRC was lost high end HP was gained. At the sacrifice of low-mid range torque.

Now, these were the days of IMRC, these were located in the intake runners. This new setup is CMCV, one can assume the setup is slightly different, or you would have called it IMRC again. Perhaps they have found a way to get both mid tq and high hp, but one can guess that CMCV does cost some high end, hence all the OTHER work that is being done.

I'm just trying to figure out why any physical restriction in the airflow pathway would be a good thing.
Too much air at low engine speed, IMRC was used to restrict it at low rpm, and open up at high rpm. There is a limit to how much air an engine wants, so if you have heads that flow very well, you might be throwing more air than needed into the cylinder when not under WOT, or at high rpm.

I hope this clarifies your confusion. If not, please reply :D

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
So this is for low end torque AND high end horsepower? I'm just trying to figure out why any physical restriction in the airflow pathway would be a good thing.
No low end only. It hurts high end. That's why I said I'm not sold. It has benefits low to mid but restricts up top. There have been work around with different designs so that's why I'm not sure why they didn't go that route, but again I'll reserve judgment til I see dyno charts.

Edit - again tear spot on. I'm hoping it isn't in the actual runners as these are a small portion of the intake to put anything in and not hurt high rpm HP.
Sponsored