Sponsored

2015 5.0L Coyote Engine Changes

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
I see its been attempted a couple times but not the whole story has been told. The reason why they were there has more to due with the way the air pulses (because as you all know air charge doesn't move smoothly in the manifold, it "bounces" back an forth off the intake valves) "flow" in runners of different lengths at different rpm. Long runners flow better and produce better power at lower rpm and shorter do the same at higher rpm. In the old B-head 4v's due to the two intake runners of the intake manifold per cylinder being of a substantially different length shutting the short runners at low rpm force the air down the long runners which allow the air pluses to hit the opening intake valves at a more optimal time. Likewise with the long runners allowing a better pulse at higher rpm.

Basically its about playing with the "harmonics" of the air and the mass and velocity of airflow in the runners. Every engine parameter has an RPM where it works best which is why its important to match them together. As rpm increase, the velocity of airflow will increase in the runners. Once it reaches a certain velocity (actually around 300 mph) it will start becoming restrictive. So, as the velocity increases, the more inertia it carries with it. Once the piston reaches the bottom, the column of air will use its inertia to cram a little more air in there before the valve closes.

A long skinny runner will hit that peak velocity early in the powerband and use its inertia to cram extra air in the cylinder down low in the rpm where torque is favored. Above those rpm it starts choking off flow and restricting high rpm power. A big short runner will reach that peak velocity later in the rpm band, meaning you have to rev the engine higher to get it to get any inertia behind the column of air. This also means that short runners can actually remove some low end torque from the combo because there is very little velocity in the incoming air.

When the intake valve closes, it sends a pressure wave back up the intake tract much like when you slap your hand over a tube. If you tune things carefully, that sound wave will be headed back to the intake valve at the same time its ready to re-open. Long intake runners (like Tubas) develop those harmonics lower in the rpm range. Short intake runners (like flutes) develop those harmonics higher in the rpm range.so being able to have bothh can be benefitial if done correctly.
Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
I see its been attempted a couple times but not the whole story has been told. The reason why they were there has more to due with the way the air pulses (because as you all know air charge doesn't move smoothly in the manifold, it "bounces" back an forth off the intake valves) "flow" in runners of different lengths at different rpm. Long runners flow better and produce better power at lower rpm and shorter do the same at higher rpm. In the old B-head 4v's due to the two intake runners of the intake manifold per cylinder being of a substantially different length shutting the short runners at low rpm force the air down the long runners which allow the air pluses to hit the opening intake valves at a more optimal time. Likewise with the long runners allowing a better pulse at higher rpm.

Basically its about playing with the "harmonics" of the air and the mass and velocity of airflow in the runners. Every engine parameter has an RPM where it works best which is why its important to match them together. As rpm increase, the velocity of airflow will increase in the runners. Once it reaches a certain velocity (actually around 300 mph) it will start becoming restrictive. So, as the velocity increases, the more inertia it carries with it. Once the piston reaches the bottom, the column of air will use its inertia to cram a little more air in there before the valve closes.

A long skinny runner will hit that peak velocity early in the powerband and use its inertia to cram extra air in the cylinder down low in the rpm where torque is favored. Above those rpm it starts choking off flow and restricting high rpm power. A big short runner will reach that peak velocity later in the rpm band, meaning you have to rev the engine higher to get it to get any inertia behind the column of air. This also means that short runners can actually remove some low end torque from the combo because there is very little velocity in the incoming air.

When the intake valve closes, it sends a pressure wave back up the intake tract much like when you slap your hand over a tube. If you tune things carefully, that sound wave will be headed back to the intake valve at the same time its ready to re-open. Long intake runners (like Tubas) develop those harmonics lower in the rpm range. Short intake runners (like flutes) develop those harmonics higher in the rpm range.so being able to have bothh can be benefitial if done correctly.
I endorse this, it actually still isn't the entire story, but way more detailed than I'm getting into. The part that is missing is the most important, which is how the newer 4vs didn't use this tech and made the same or more power almost everywhere. The old or B heads uses a long and short runner, the newer ones on the next gen cobra and 03-04 mach 1s don't

rjla67

Threads
Reaction score
Any thoughts if the hood scoops on the 5.0 will be functional?

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
The heat extractors? Yes.
Good point as they point backwards and don't really "scoop" anything.

I actually wondered if their forward position was the best place to extract heat from under the hood and not further back. I'm no engineer though.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
In this case I am unsure. In previous usage the IMRC gained low end torque over 75% of the curve.

However when USING this setup you sacrificed high end HP.
When IMRC was lost high end HP was gained. At the sacrifice of low-mid range torque.

Now, these were the days of IMRC, these were located in the intake runners. This new setup is CMCV, one can assume the setup is slightly different, or you would have called it IMRC again. Perhaps they have found a way to get both mid tq and high hp, but one can guess that CMCV does cost some high end, hence all the OTHER work that is being done.

Too much air at low engine speed, IMRC was used to restrict it at low rpm, and open up at high rpm. There is a limit to how much air an engine wants, so if you have heads that flow very well, you might be throwing more air than needed into the cylinder when not under WOT, or at high rpm.

I hope this clarifies your confusion. If not, please reply :D
No low end only. It hurts high end. That's why I said I'm not sold. It has benefits low to mid but restricts up top. There have been work around with different designs so that's why I'm not sure why they didn't go that route, but again I'll reserve judgment til I see dyno charts.

Edit - again tear spot on. I'm hoping it isn't in the actual runners as these are a small portion of the intake to put anything in and not hurt high rpm HP.
Thank you both. It is clearing it up for me. :)

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Good point as they point backwards and don't really "scoop" anything.

I actually wondered if their forward position was the best place to extract heat from under the hood and not further back. I'm no engineer though.
Thanks for the nice comment my GM bretheren, and as long as they are past the radiator, which is the best heat exchanger for the motor, it will help pull heat out of the engine compartment, and increase airflow through said radiator. I'm am not saying they are functional because I do not honestly know. But if they are, they will increase air through the radiator.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Thanks for the nice comment my GM bretheren, and as long as they are past the radiator, which is the best heat exchanger for the motor, it will help pull heat out of the engine compartment, and increase airflow through said radiator. I'm am not saying they are functional because I do not honestly know. But if they are, they will increase air through the radiator.
I hope they are functional. Guess we will find out when they show an open hood shot someday. Not a big fan of vents and scoops just for show.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Yes, they look to be functional heat extractors appropriately placed in a low pressure zone on the hood. They will also decrease front end lift.

Something to consider about this 5.0 revision…
This and any other upcoming pre-DI iterations of the coyote may be the last good engines for serious mods/boost for several years. If you want great factory performance the DI's will be great, but I suspect it will take the aftermarket a while to address anything that requires fuel system mods, and when it first happens it will be pricey.
This is one of the reasons I WONT be holding off for the refresh. I'll be happy to move to a DI car once the aftermarket has caught up.
That said, the internal upgrades are pretty impressive. It's definitely more then I was expecting and has me wondering just how badass the SVT will be. I've been told it is very ambitious and impressive. I'm not sure I buy the FPC rumors though.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Yes, they look to be functional heat extractors appropriately placed in a low pressure zone on the hood. They will also decrease front end lift.

Something to consider about this 5.0 revision…
This and any other upcoming pre-DI iterations of the coyote may be the last good engines for serious mods/boost for several years. If you want great factory performance the DI's will be great, but I suspect it will take the aftermarket a while to address anything that requires fuel system mods, and when it first happens it will be pricey.
This is one of the reasons I WONT be holding off for the refresh. I'll be happy to move to a DI car once the aftermarket has caught up.
That said, the internal upgrades are pretty impressive. It's definitely more then I was expecting and has me wondering just how badass the SVT will be. I've been told it is very ambitious and impressive. I'm not sure I buy the FPC rumors though.
Good points. I also don't see Ford doing these revisions for just one year of the Coyote then changing over to the DI Coyote unless the DI is basically added to these revisions. In other words this Coyote v.2 may be the bridge between Coyote v.1 and Coyote v.3 (direct injection) for 2 or 3 model years. It also could be the new GT engine with the DI Coyote being the 500 HP GT350/Mach 1 engine. All just my guesses though.

Whatever the case, it is great to see that the 2015 GT 5.0 is going to get a bump. :)

Crazyhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old beat up and thankfully running strong
What's FPC you^^ speak of?

MadMoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stuff
Assuming he's referring to the rumored flat plane crank V8 for an SVT version