Sponsored

2015 5.0L Coyote Engine Changes

Brew_WY

Threads
Reaction score
I plan on going twin turbo on mine once the warranty no longer exists, so a cheaper fuel system to upgrade is preferable. HPFP's are too damned expensive!
Sponsored

Hemisedan

Threads
Reaction score
Yes definitely big:clap2:
Actually the Challenger is not all that much bigger now. Longer, yes by 10", but widths are just about the same. Weight, no matter what Ford has, will still be at least 500 lbs less. Which to me is good.

shelbystang

Threads
Reaction score
Actually the Challenger is not all that much bigger now. Longer, yes by 10", but widths are just about the same. Weight, no matter what Ford has, will still be at least 500 lbs less. Which to me is good.
That longer wheelbase contributes to that comfortable ride on real world roads. Challenger has room for one more person and a much larger trunk.

In my next new car purchase I want to get the car that rides the most comfortable on these beat up roads which is priority 1 this time. How the priority changes over the years. I don't need a track pack since I don't track the car but I would love the 3.73 rear end for acceleration on the 2014 Mustang GT. Ride though is still kind of stiff must be that live rear end axle. Thus far I love the styling of the 2014 Mustang GT over the 2015 Mustang GT but I haven't seen the 2015 Mustang GT in person yet or drivin one.
But now enter the 2015 Mustang GT with IRS:hail:...I will have to see how that test drive goes.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

OP
OP

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
DI is the future, and people should embrace it.

I'm kinda an old man (40) and I was in high school when EFI was just starting to take off. I remember all the people saying fuel injection was crap and would never be good for high performance applications, carburetor 4lyfe and all that. Look where we are now.

When enough cars go DI, you'll absolutely see a thriving after market for HPFPs and DI injectors develop.

Brew_WY

Threads
Reaction score
DI is the future, and people should embrace it.

I'm kinda an old man (40) and I was in high school when EFI was just starting to take off. I remember all the people saying fuel injection was crap and would never be good for high performance applications, carburetor 4lyfe and all that. Look where we are now.

When enough cars go DI, you'll absolutely see a thriving after market for HPFPs and DI injectors develop.
Look at the diesel market and how long common rail diesel engines have been produced (Since 2001). Everything is still expensive and there are a lot of CR engines out there in just the light truck market. Now maybe it is not enough to bring the economies of scale in to play to drop the price on the technology, but I would have thought that you would have started to see some price relief by now. The after market has embraced it no doubt and it is by far the best technology and I am not against it. I just don't want to pay for it.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have a VW GTI with a DI 2.0T engine, and I'm not very impressed with it. It makes decent power and gets decent mileage, but lately it has been very rough running @ 1500-2000 RPM. I've heard a bit about problems with carbon build-up on the valves, but haven't investigated yet to see if that is happening to me.

All I know is that with only 50,000 miles, the engine is not running nearly as well as it was when new, yet my 350Z with 177,000 miles runs like new. There's something to be said for a stream of gasoline cleaning the intake valves constantly.

So, I like the idea of DI, how it can cool the compressing air allowing a higher compression ratio, how it frees up the intake charge volume and allows better breathing, and how the high fuel pressure can aid in atomization and potentially improve combustion, but I'm not yet convinced that all the bugs have been worked out.

Course my issue could be something completely different (like actually owning a VW ;) ).

-T

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
I agree with this as well. I personally don't want the added expense of DI on the motor. It performs well, but when researching parts for my EB FX4, I found that the stock fuel system is maxed in the 520-550HP range. I heard (from Full Race) there are some companies working on fuel system upgrades but I wasn't given names. I am a diesel guy and DI is an expensive toy I would prefer to avoid. Seeing some of the problems OEM's have had, it is something I would rather avoid. People have been making quad digit power numbers on our current fuel technology for a long time. I should be able to get by without it and have more money for other mods.
twin turbos!! Are my first mods, tired of waiting lol

Brew_WY

Threads
Reaction score
twin turbos!! Are my first mods, tired of waiting lol
Yeah I think a set of BorgWarner EFR turbos will be finding their way under the hood. I would really like to see FullRace build a TT EFR kit for this new Mustang. Unfortunately the only domestic product I have seen them play with is an EB F150. Everything else has been imports.

Sponsored

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Yeah I think a set of BorgWarner EFR turbos will be finding their way under the hood. I would really like to see FullRace build a TT EFR kit for this new Mustang. Unfortunately the only domestic product I have seen them play with is an EB F150. Everything else has been imports.
BW EFR Turbos are great, I can't wait for Ford v8 5.0 ecoboost just got to get my own v8 5.0 ecoboost on the new G6.

tacamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 AC Cobra replica (Unique Motorcars)
I have a VW GTI with a DI 2.0T engine, and I'm not very impressed with it. It makes decent power and gets decent mileage, but lately it has been very rough running @ 1500-2000 RPM. I've heard a bit about problems with carbon build-up on the valves, but haven't investigated yet to see if that is happening to me.

All I know is that with only 50,000 miles, the engine is not running nearly as well as it was when new, yet my 350Z with 177,000 miles runs like new. There's something to be said for a stream of gasoline cleaning the intake valves constantly.

So, I like the idea of DI, how it can cool the compressing air allowing a higher compression ratio, how it frees up the intake charge volume and allows better breathing, and how the high fuel pressure can aid in atomization and potentially improve combustion, but I'm not yet convinced that all the bugs have been worked out.

Course my issue could be something completely different (like actually owning a VW ;) ).

-T
I have a 2011 SHO with about 45K miles and have been really impressed with the fact that it is very smooth and very powerful for pushing a 4400 lb car down the road. DI, as previously stated, allows for the potential of more compression ratio because the risk of detonation is mitigated by the fact that you theoretically don't have to introduce the fuel charge until the piston has already started down. IF you could maintain dry flow through the intake runners into the combustion chamber (like in a high performance racing or aircraft engine it would pretty much be a win/win deal. Enter mandated EGR and the noxious and often damp vapor from the crankcase which has a tendency to bake itself onto the backside of the intake valves. In my opinion, this is the only negative with DI since you don't have fuel suspended in the air coming into the combustion chamber via the manifold runner which, along with any additives in the fuel, tend to clean deposits off the intake valves. The engineering challenge is to separate the wet sludge and catch it upstream. Ford seems to have done a pretty good job at this....I have not seen any issues with my car. Some of the big European manufacturers did have problems with this and in several cases they were not trivial. Assuming Ford engineering has a good functioning separator, I would love to have the added benefits of DI on the Coyote. My understanding is that all the architecture has been designed into the engine from the beginning.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have a 2011 SHO with about 45K miles and have been really impressed with the fact that it is very smooth and very powerful for pushing a 4400 lb car down the road. DI, as previously stated, allows for the potential of more compression ratio because the risk of detonation is mitigated by the fact that you theoretically don't have to introduce the fuel charge until the piston has already started down. IF you could maintain dry flow through the intake runners into the combustion chamber (like in a high performance racing or aircraft engine it would pretty much be a win/win deal. Enter mandated EGR and the noxious and often damp vapor from the crankcase which has a tendency to bake itself onto the backside of the intake valves. In my opinion, this is the only negative with DI since you don't have fuel suspended in the air coming into the combustion chamber via the manifold runner which, along with any additives in the fuel, tend to clean deposits off the intake valves. The engineering challenge is to separate the wet sludge and catch it upstream. Ford seems to have done a pretty good job at this....I have not seen any issues with my car. Some of the big European manufacturers did have problems with this and in several cases they were not trivial. Assuming Ford engineering has a good functioning separator, I would love to have the added benefits of DI on the Coyote. My understanding is that all the architecture has been designed into the engine from the beginning.
GM did make a big deal about their oil separation techniques on the new LT1, to solve this exact problem. Hopefully they were able to engineer a good solution as well. Good to hear that your EcoBoost is holding up well and does not exhibit signs of carbon build-up. DI will certainly be the preferred method going forward, and does yield benefits if done right.

-T