Sponsored

2015 5.0L Coyote Engine Changes

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
-New cams with 1mm more intake lift and 2mm more lift on the exhaust side
-New cylinder heads with revised high-flow ports and slightly larger valves
-Mid-lock cam phasers to provide greater range of cam timing on the intake side
-A revised intake manifold with charge-motion control valves.
-The forged connecting rods from the current Boss 302 engine
-The forged balanced crank from the current Boss 302 engine
-Revised piston tops
-The valve springs from the current Boss 302 engine
-Standard oil cooler

I'm guessing that either the leaked power increase of 10hp and 6 lb-ft is bullshit or Ford is severely underrating this engine. It's basically going to have the Cobra Jet intake cams, Boss exhaust cams, Boss heads with bigger valves (that even the CJ did not get), Boss rotating assembly, and a new intake manifold. I can't see it having less hp than the Boss engine and really it should have substantially more.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
mustang-2-18.jpg

mustang-2-20.jpg
2015-mustang-ford-details-23-liter-ecoboost-medium_2.jpg
2015-mustang-ford-details-23-liter-ecoboost-medium_3.jpg

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
I'm guessing that either the leaked power increase of 10hp and 6 lb-ft is bullshit or Ford is severely underrating this engine.
Would this suprise you? It wouldn't be the first time (or the second, or the last) Ford has underrated an engine.

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
-New cams with 1mm more intake lift and 2mm more lift on the exhaust side
-New cylinder heads with revised high-flow ports and slightly larger valves
-Mid-lock cam phasers to provide greater range of cam timing on the intake side
-A revised intake manifold with charge-motion control valves.
-The forged connecting rods from the current Boss 302 engine
-The forged balanced crank from the current Boss 302 engine
-Revised piston tops
-The valve springs from the current Boss 302 engine
-Standard oil cooler
With this much change, is this still likely to be called just a Coyote, or will it get a new name?

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
450hp - 410 lb/ft and 7500 rpm???

would be perfect stats for the 2015

Sponsored

OP
OP

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
Autoblog is reporting that Ford will not release power figures until sometime next year. Possibly in April at the NYC Auto Show.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Autoblog is reporting that Ford will not release power figures until sometime next year. Possibly in April at the NYC Auto Show.
I was just going to ask this. That sucks. With those changes I can't see it making less than a boss. I agree 450/410, or that's what it will be making and they under rate it. I'm not sold on the motion control valves as I've said before, they ditched them after the 98 cobra and the 99 made more power, but they may be necessary evil with that much head.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Is there a possibility they will de-tune the engine so it doesn't get the full hp gain to increase fuel economy?

Sponsored

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Wow. Lots of updated goodies for the GT. This thing is going to be a screamer.

OP
OP

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
I'm not sold on the motion control valves as I've said before, they ditched them after the 98 cobra and the 99 made more power, but they may be necessary evil with that much head.
The intake manifold flaps and mid lock cam phasers are there to tame the radical heads/cams in the GT.

I'm guessing the GT350 will not have the flaps and will probably have some variant of the Cobra Jet intake manifold, throttle body, and open element CAI along with a revised tune and possibly DI and a compression ratio bump.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
If the next Camaro gets a variant of the C7 LT1 engine it will be making at least 450 HP and a ton of low end torque. It will also be in a great chassis based on the very sporty ATS. I think Ford will need at least 450 to remain competitive because the next Camaro should be an excellent car on an excellent chassis.

Those changes mentioned are very promising, and hopefully Ford will come through.

-T

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
If the next Camaro gets a variant of the C7 LT1 engine it will be making at least 450 HP and a ton of low end torque. It will also be in a great chassis based on the very sporty ATS. I think Ford will need at least 450 to remain competitive because the next Camaro should be an excellent car on an excellent chassis.

Those changes mentioned are very promising, and hopefully Ford will come through.

-T
If the 200 weight loss claims are true, I think the camaro will still be heavier. Therefore I don't think it will have a problem at 450 HP with less torque

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra

-T
It'll most likely be at most 450...and that's with the bimode exhaust option. GM won't exceed the Corvette's output. They will possibly and most likely match it, but exceeding it won't happen. Just like the LS1 and LS3 were identicle in their respective generations (though rated differently on paper) the LT1 will follow suit.

As far as chassis goes Alpha, while a vast Improvment over Zeta, hasn't yielded the weight loss predicted as of yet. I'm sure GM is diligently working on it, but to stay in a certain price bracket there is only so much you can do.
Sponsored