Sponsored

10 speed auto appreciation thread

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
I have driven a few Mustangs but none could punch up like the Mach 1 so it was very hard to feel the gearbox as such.

A lot of folks here drive a stick shift and the default transmission is an amazing 6 speed tremec. So for manual lovers, it’s a treat.

But for me I can’t be bothered by it because driving in the Bay Area is pain. I don’t want to have to change my gears like a donkey every 10s. So the auto was an instant option for me especially as my wife will take it in a couple of years.

Coming back to the 10 speed auto, this is probably the best auto I have driven in a while. Drove a 911S with a DCT a few weeks back and this compares well. A friend who drives a GT3 was amazed what this 10 speed could do. I don’t know how good the 7 speed DCT in GT500 is - I assume it’s incredibly but I absolutely love what I got here.

For anyone out there wanting the 10 speed auto more than the manual, just go for it. It’s absolutely incredible and the gear shifts feel a lot like a DCT. That’s it.
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I really enjoy my A10. I daily mind so stop and go traffic is an eventuality. I'm good with just letting the car make decisions for awhile and slip into sport mode when I want to get aggressive.

There will always be adimosity against autos. IMO I've rowed enough gears, rather enjoy the car all the time than resent my decision some of the time.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
oh boy... Where's my popcorn.

Sponsored

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Glad to see how well the 10 speed works on the Mach 1s. I chose the 10 speed as Im tired of shifting in stop and go traffic, hitting our late 50s, and just want to enjoy the drive.

I know its a personal choice, but don’t really care anymore if others dislike autos.

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Using the paddles in Sports Plus or Race mode, the transmission reacts faster then I thought it would to paddle inputs, particularly when your into the throttle or rpm's are above 3500. At other times with minimal throttle input the paddle shifting is not quite as quick, its smart the way it gives you the urgency in shifting when you need it. Flicking through the gears is great fun and the throttle blips on downshift are an added bonus.

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
I loved the hell out of my 2019 Gt with the A10. The only other auto sport car I had was my 2013 SRT Superbee and it got old after a while. Haven’t driven a manual in a while so that’s why I picked up the 2021 GT with the 6 speed. I honestly enjoy the car more rowing the gears myself. Of course when I install my MGW, I’ll enjoy it more.

It’s all about preference of course but the A10 is the best auto transmission I have ever had, period.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
I drove a manual transmission in every car i owned for almost 25 years! I was *that guy* who looked down on autos and vowed to always have a manual. All it took was one test drive in the new 10 speed to change my mind!

The intelligence of the shift logic behind it is incredible. Taking things like yaw and steering angle sensor and throttle position into account to calculate what it needs to do is outstanding. When you learn how it behaves, you can make it shift with your feet in track mode and it's incredible how fast it reacts.

If it didnt have a full manual mode and the ability to lock the torque converter to make it feel like a manual car, i'd have never considered it.

I sometimes do miss 'banging gears' and i totally relate to the connection between man and machine while shifting your own gears, but as i've said before - this isn't your grandma's automatic. They have come a long long way since then. I'd never dream of owning a lesser transmission! I'd still have a manual if that were the case.

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Owned many manuals but So much stop and go traffic and crawling now I would be frustrated with the manual in current scenario. The a10 is a helluva thing in how it handles power in all scenarios and gives pretty amazing mpg. Quite impressive.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
After first 2000 km I have nothing but praise for the 10sp in Mach 1. It's fast and responsive, it shifts really really well in all kinds of situations, it's fluid and smooth too. Haven't used the paddles much yet, that's for next season. I am absolutely delighted with my decision :clap: They make a perfect combo with Coyote V8.

Ctodd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a manual transmission in every car i owned for almost 25 years! I was *that guy* who looked down on autos and vowed to always have a manual. All it took was one test drive in the new 10 speed to change my mind!

The intelligence of the shift logic behind it is incredible. Taking things like yaw and steering angle sensor and throttle position into account to calculate what it needs to do is outstanding. When you learn how it behaves, you can make it shift with your feet in track mode and it's incredible how fast it reacts.

If it didnt have a full manual mode and the ability to lock the torque converter to make it feel like a manual car, i'd have never considered it.

I sometimes do miss 'banging gears' and i totally relate to the connection between man and machine while shifting your own gears, but as i've said before - this isn't your grandma's automatic. They have come a long long way since then. I'd never dream of owning a lesser transmission! I'd still have a manual if that were the case.
Jim, I couldn't of said it better myself.
What do you mean about locking the torque converter?

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us are insecure with there stick
Its more of how often you need to adjust your stick. There are those that constantly need to fiddle with it, adjusting it to the left or right. And then there are those of us who set it and let it do its own thing.
Sponsored