Another blown engine thread

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
If it were REALLY designed to be used the way you think, why would the engines blow up as often as they do? Someone missed something somewhere. Either marketing set over expectation or under designed. PS- Love the GT350 but I’ve never seen anything like this on any other. Really disappointing since I like them so much. Sorry for those who have to deal with it.
id agree the number of failures appear to be higher on this car, but not sure that means it wasn’t intended to be a track car.

look up service intervals and what is recommended for cup cars and gt4 cars and such. Even cars that are 100% track require a LOT of expense/rebuilding to do it long term.
Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
If it were REALLY designed to be used the way you think, why would the engines blow up as often as they do? Someone missed something somewhere. Either marketing set over expectation or under designed. PS- Love the GT350 but I’ve never seen anything like this on any other. Really disappointing since I like them so much. Sorry for those who have to deal with it.
I guess you never followed the C6 Z06 engine issues

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Realistically, it’s unlikely ANY mass production car would withstand being what many would like to consider to be a real track car.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Realistically, it’s unlikely ANY mass production car would withstand being what many would like to consider to be a real track car.
I just have to say it....Miata :)

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
My 2017 was out of the window for a Ford ESP, so I have a third-party warranty that explicitly stated it will replace the engine in case of a failure. I am tempted to contact them and push to find out of they will replace the long block should mine ever let go...

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The forum makes it seem a lot worse than it is...then people with "other" cars come in and make it sound like it's all of them. Cumulatively 14000 miles on GT350Rs for me and only an AC problem on the 2016.

You're right about not many production cars holding up to "real" race car status. #theanswerisalwaysmiata

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but after having a GT350 or a Mach 1 for that matter, who would actually really want to drive a Miata? A GR86….maybe. :blush:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
True, but after having a GT350 or a Mach 1 for that matter, who would actually really want to drive a Miata? A GR86….maybe. :blush:
Have you driven one? A miata is about as much fun as you can have in a car--especially on the race track. I've been campaigning a street mod miata on the track alongside my converted GT350 race car - and while the GT350 is more exciting, I wouldn't say it's more fun by any means.

There's something truly unique about being able to be full throttle everywhere all the time. Plus, I get through turns 2-9 at COTA in 100hp Miata as fast as all but a Radical or other open wheel race car. The Miata hurts a lot of feelings...meanwhile I am giggling like a complete lunatic.

Most fun you can have while barely breaking the 3min lap time barrier :crackup:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why aren’t the GR86’s as popular? I can see the Miata being fun. It’s like a go kart. I had a 1982 RX-7, so I get it. Mazda does a great job on vehicle dynamics. They’re just not Mustangs…but if you wanna fly around the track, I’m sure it’s much more fun than the bloated American heavy weight. It’s just doesn’t look as cool doing it. 😎

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Why aren’t the GR86’s as popular? I can see the Miata being fun. It’s like a go kart. I had a 1982 RX-7, so I get it. Mazda does a great job on vehicle dynamics. They’re just not Mustangs.
Simultaneously underpowered and overpowered. Too much power to be as strong of a driver development car as the Miata and too under powered to keep up with the average "fast" car. And from what I've heard, the chassis doesn't handle big power well. You can dump 10k into them and have a phenomenal handling car, but it'll be slow because it doesn't have enough power for the grip.

I have heard the newest generation is a good step up from previous version from a chassis perspective. But it's still underpowered.

Sponsored

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
These aftermarket extended warranties are a real crap shoot.
My 2017 was out of the window for a Ford ESP, so I have a third-party warranty that explicitly stated it will replace the engine in case of a failure. I am tempted to contact them and push to find out of they will replace the long block should mine ever let go...
These aftermarket extended warranties are a real crap shoot. That's a heavy claim you have and will definitely be met with push back. Dealerships will fight you, even with the manufacturers warranty. They'll look for any way not to pay out. I lost it the other day at the Kia dealership. They were giving an old woman a hard time about replacing the engine on her 2020 Sorento. She kept meticulous records for oil changes(synthetic) and such, from her own mechanic. They were stroking her about going over the 3000mile oil change interval by a few hundred miles and not using the dealership for maintenance. I had to advocate for her.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Anywhere but Worthington Ford. Sorry to hear about your predicament.
What? I thought they were the best.

Still wearing the brockabrella hat he gave me!

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Funny enough, I have been considering a Miata to run is CS, and keep my GT350 for CAMC. However, with two kids, I'll likely end up with a GTI for the forseeable future.

Oh and nevermind the cost of consumables on a Miata or even GTI is non-existent relative to a GT350 LOL

OP, I am looking forward to your updates. I've been following your thread closely for my own reference.

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I own both a 22 mach 1 and a 21 miata club. Id take the miata everyday of the week and twice on sunday over the mach 1. That doesnt mean I dont enjoy the mustang but its a different type of feeling. The Miata just does everything perfectly and with no issues. Being able to drop the top is just the cherry on top.

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach 1 with handling package
I own both a 22 mach 1 and a 21 miata club. Id take the miata everyday of the week and twice on sunday over the mach 1. That doesnt mean I dont enjoy the mustang but its a different type of feeling. The Miata just does everything perfectly and with no issues. Being able to drop the top is just the cherry on top.
Lots of mustang owners who also drive miatas it seems. I have a '21 mach 1 HP and a 22 Miata Club BBR. I've barely driven the mach 1 since i took delivery of the miata :/.
Sponsored