Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
Watched the review by Savage Geese yesterday:

Swear the one GM engineer was throwing shade at Ford when they were discussing the engine design. He says several times something along the line of this engine "actually being designed for the flat plane crank" and not "a normal engine with a flat plane just stuck in it" so they "actually accounted for the shaking forces".

Seems like that's a pretty direct shot at Ford for the Voodoo šŸ˜… Either way, cool video and cool car. GM sure got a lot of power out of 5.5L. Obviously a completely different platform than the Mustang but still the only American cars with 8,000 rpm v8's.

Would definitely miss the stick shift... and I'm not sold on the mid-engine look. Not that my opinion matters, won't be able to get one for years even if I strike it rich.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Watched the review by Savage Geese yesterday:

Swear the one GM engineer was throwing shade at Ford when they were discussing the engine design. He says several times something along the line of this engine "actually being designed for the flat plane crank" and not "a normal engine with a flat plane just stuck in it" so they "actually accounted for the shaking forces".

Seems like that's a pretty direct shot at Ford for the Voodoo šŸ˜… Either way, cool video and cool car. GM sure got a lot of power out of 5.5L. Obviously a completely different platform than the Mustang but still the only American cars with 8,000 rpm v8's.

Would definitely miss the stick shift... and I'm not sold on the mid-engine look. Not that my opinion matters, won't be able to get one for years even if I strike it rich.
Iā€™ve seen a few different interviews with Corvette engineers and they all say something similar. Is there some shade being thrown, yeah most likely. Even though Corvette and Mustang donā€™t directly compete, thereā€™s definitely some competition among the engineering departments. Hopefully that will push Ford to continue to put out strong performing V8ā€™s for as long as possible (and vice versa with GM, good competition is healthy)

BigD94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - PP1 - Manual
It's funny. I kinda liked the look of these C8 vettes when they first came out, but now I think they look terrible.

The rear end is a brick. its too angular and sharp. the mid engine look isn't great.

I'll take the C6 z06 over these

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
Voodoo still sounds better. more unique low RPM staccato hammers to go with high RPM scream.

That being said, the new Z06 is mighty impressive. Also mighty expensive. And if the Voodoo is hard to really push on normal roads without going to jail, the Z06 would be even worse. Talk about frustration unless you have a nearby track.....

Sponsored

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Please correct me if I am wrong, but packaging and cost were the reasons that Ford went the non traditional FPC route using the Coyote as the base engine. Nice to have a blank check to do a clean sheet design engine....Color me impressed with the new Z06 though. As difficult as a 350/350R is to wring out and truly enjoy on the street, I can only imagine the Z06 being that much more difficult to do so.

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Iā€™m not a fan of the C8 at all, prefer the C7. But ZO6 with the other styling cues fixā€™s what I donā€™t care for. Itā€™s interesting, for me some colors work very well for the car and others not at all. The yellow ZO6 Throttle House reviewed is a really pretty car. Its kind of funny the Chevy Engineers trying to throw shade toward Ford. The reality is without what Ford put out out in the newer Shelbyā€™s they would have never been given that blank check to make the new Corvette. And without that blank check they wouldnā€™t have been successful in releasing a really cool car.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'm impressed by it and will be observing their reliability. I loved my C6 Z06 but sold it because of the head issues. I'm now in the same boat with the GT350 but the only car I'd really consider replacing this with is a Porsche.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
IMHO.....

1. super nice car. I'm a fan of the base c8, but the tweaks made to the z06 are a definitely upgrade.
2. gonna be HUGELY collectible. likely the last gas-only powered performance model corvette. if you can get one for even a modest amount of MSRP it's gonna pay off long term as a hold.
3. I dont think we see a ZR-1 model out of the C8 that doesn't have an electric assist on the front wheels.

If I had the cash I would have already been in line for one when they announced it.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I saw one a few months back testing on a ring road around Houston. They are really cool, would love to drive one.

The real question is, are the engineers right? Time will tell. Or when the headlights start going out like every other GM product.

Sponsored

BigD94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
I'm impressed by it and will be observing their reliability. I loved my C6 Z06 but sold it because of the head issues. I'm now in the same boat with the GT350 but the only car I'd really consider replacing this with is a Porsche.
How'd you like the C6 z? I would love to pick one up in the next year or two and build it out. Maybe throw on a procharger. They've been climbing a bit recently though so hopefully they wont be too high by 2024.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
IMHO.....

1. super nice car. I'm a fan of the base c8, but the tweaks made to the z06 are a definitely upgrade.
2. gonna be HUGELY collectible. likely the last gas-only powered performance model corvette. if you can get one for even a modest amount of MSRP it's gonna pay off long term as a hold.
3. I dont think we see a ZR-1 model out of the C8 that doesn't have an electric assist on the front wheels.

If I had the cash I would have already been in line for one when they announced it.
I like the looks as well but itā€™s a tight fit in the cockpit for me and Iā€™m not a huge guy (6ā€™1ā€ ~210 lbs). I do prefer the C7 over the C8, especially the ZR1. Thatā€™s on my list but prices on those are insane right now.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
I like the looks as well but itā€™s a tight fit in the cockpit for me and Iā€™m not a huge guy (6ā€™1ā€ ~210 lbs). I do prefer the C7 over the C8, especially the ZR1. Thatā€™s on my list but prices on those are insane right now.
ya, I'm 6' but about 245. personally, while I like the c7 a lot, I have actually come to prefer the c6 z06 as my current preferred 'vette option. I'd definitely own one of those. Had a chance to 'steal' one a couple years ago that only had 30k on it, could have gotten it for $34k. still kickin myself for not getting it.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
One thing I find interesting - the production cars redline at 8500 and the race cars redline MUCH lower. If I recall, something like 6800 or so. I wonder if that's reliability or to meet power targets (or both).

BigD94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
ya, I'm 6' but about 245. personally, while I like the c7 a lot, I have actually come to prefer the c6 z06 as my current preferred 'vette option. I'd definitely own one of those. Had a chance to 'steal' one a couple years ago that only had 30k on it, could have gotten it for $34k. still kickin myself for not getting it.
Damnnn. That's tough
Sponsored