Vehicle Showcase

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I would agree with what engineermike and angry plus what others are suggesting. Ford engineers have more data and more knowledge about all of their engines and what their limitations are. I would agree that the Coyote in stock form is not designed to be boosted. Why would they create a different configuration for the Predator motor then?

As mentioned before, Ford engineers have life goals for each engine application, and build each to reach those goals. Lots of hours of testing is how they benchmark for those goals. Lots of time and $$$ spent in this pursuit. A boosted Coyote will probably operate fine for while, but I can almost guarantee that its overall life will be reduced in this mode.

As far as warranties...any warranty, they are designed to favor the organization who issues them, not the customer. Ask any lawyer about this if you can't make sense of their "fine print". Most of them are "limited", very limited. A manufacturer is more concerned about bad media than satisfying warranties.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I think I have dementia, I need to go back and check the title. I thought I was reading a thread on boosting Coyotes.🥴
Nothing ever stays on topic on this site.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Nobody is confused about the fact the Tremec is better. I so wish that we got a TR6060 like the Camaro and Challenger get. The 3160 is better, but it's still a bit lacking. BUT, what's important is that an MT-82 that functions correctly is actually pretty enjoyable to use. You may disagree, but I've used a lot of manuals, and this one is pretty satisfying in comparison to a lot of them. There are better, but there's certainly worse as well.
Funny I was driving my friends 2015 manual Aston martin V8 vantage to a cars and coffee this past weekend. Now that transmission sucks. It is impossible to drive that car smoothly.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Agreed. We have a half dozen Gen2/3's from our local shop making 980-1250 on stock rods. We actually haven't seen a stock rod failure in yet in years.
i have never seen a rod failure on its own

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I don't think they are, the reason (in my opinion) the stock coyote tends to pair so well with boost is because of a combination of the V angle, the bore spacing, the stroke length and the high RPM limit. They overbuilt the rotating assembly to put up with the relatively high angular accel/decel from that specific geometry (since they're stuck with the mod motor bore spacing since forever because the tooling is paid for). These engines also make quite a lot of torque per stroke given the displacement and being naturally aspirated. The BMEP is up there with some exotics. Another reason to have some extra meat in the design. Of course that high level of efficiency is kind of a bad thing when you're adding forced induction, if your mixtures or heat get out of control it's easy to melt a piston or blow up a ringland and I feel like that's the majority of failures we see on here with stock motors. The factory supercharged engines don't have to worry about that because they have the CR turned way down.

With all that said, I could be completely off the mark. It's been a while since I read up on these engines specifics, but it always seemed like some aspects were compromises so that Ford didn't have to spend money on new tooling.
what does this have to do with the forged boss rods that were developed for the roadrunner?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
what does this have to do with the forged boss rods that were developed for the roadrunner?
Well, I thought the whole point of using forged rods for the roadrunner was that its max RPM was way above the other Coyote variants (at least until gen 3 came out).

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Well, I thought the whole point of using forged rods for the roadrunner was that its max RPM was way above the other Coyote variants (at least until gen 3 came out).
The odd thing is the gen2 got the roadrunners rods and springs, more aggressive cam (I think) and heads that flow nearly as well…then they slapped on a low-mid range rpm IM and kept the redline at 7K like the gen1, I’m guessing to keep it “torquey” and deal with crappy gas as they go global. With the gen3 the DI-enabled CR increase to 12:1 boosted torque so they could focus on high rpm and let the CR take care of the low end.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Ford doesn't boost from the factory in order to keep the market segment for the GT 500 distinct. The motor in the plain old GT is plenty stout enough for boost. There wouldn't be a warranty for the dealer installed Roush kit if it wasn't.

Sponsored

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Was it engineered to be boosted, no. Do they like boost, yes. Are they still reliable with boost, yes to a point 650ish is totally safe provided the tune is safe. Can they be pushed further and still be reliable, yes but they need fuel upgrades and a sensible driver.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
My point is, it's internet myth that the MT82 is fine and most failures are NDMF's. The truth is, most MT issues are bad product consistency and just a plain bad design. I could go through all the design differences between the 6060/3160 and the MT, but I shouldn't have to. The outcomes are obvious. Are GT350 and previous gen 500 owners just superior manual drivers? No. It's just a better unit. Failures and issues on the 3160 or the 6060 are very rare.
I drive a brand new MT82 2022 mustang. I knew going into it people had reported problems with the transmission. But like issues the internet has a way of overblowing it. Coming from a Tremec 7 speed manual I had in my C7 corvette I am not the biggest MT82 fan you could say.

My most noticeable problem with my MT82 was a grind from 2nd to 3rd gear. I could not believe I was having problems. After doing some research on YouTube someone recommended making 100% sure the clutch was to the floor on every shift. This seems to make the problem go away. But some of the fun has been taken away due to me having to be more careful. I think the MT82 is sensitive to user inputs and less forgiving compared to my Tremec. Which you could say it bad design.

But I still think for people who want a manual. Its good enough for a non serious road racer who just likes to row gears and listen to that awesome sounding engine. Obviously anyone who buys the manual is not looking for best performance figures.

Ford guarantees the transmission for 5 years or 60k miles. Even those guys who break the transmission at high RPM driving typically get fixed for free under warranty. You can even extended the powertrain warranty to 8 years or 150k miles.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
After doing some research on YouTube someone recommended making 100% sure the clutch was to the floor on every shift. This seems to make the problem go away.
That is a clutch, throwout issue. Never had these problems in the mechanical linkage era.

Codekb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kieran
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
If so, why doesn't ford boost it from factory?

Thanks
JC
The Gen3 5.0 can handle boost pretty well on a sealed motor. Ford doesn't boost it from the factory because the price of the car will go up amongst other things and they will lose a lot of customers. I put this poorly but i feel it's best to for consumers and price to not boost it from factory. You could always get the ROUSH supercharged mustang (Look at the price of that thing).

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
If Ford was smart, they would offer a Boosted GT. Dodge puts a Hellcat in everything. Ford could at least sell a factory Roush supercharged GT built right at the factory. Even at 700HP, they'd sell a ton of them to those without GT500 money. Factory built, with factory warranty.
Sponsored