Risto2G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2, Recaro, B&O K7 GSXR750
quiiiiiick couple questions.
apologies if this has been answered already!

So from what I gather, we purchase the kit from whatever retailer.
Setup the tuning device at home.
Then bring everything into the dealer, and they will install the parts AND upload / flash the new tune?

My main concern is the tune uploading correctly.

Can I have the dealer install the hardware, drive home, and then upload the new tune myself?

thanks!
I did what you mentioned. Had the dealership install the hardware and drove it home to load the tune (didn't want to risk them charging for waiting for the tune to load). You can do that, however, the car will be in limp mode and will drive horribly. Depending on how far you have to go it may not be advisable. I had no problems once I loaded the tune though. Just clear the codes.
Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I did what you mentioned. Had the dealership install the hardware and drove it home to load the tune (didn't want to risk them charging for waiting for the tune to load). You can do that, however, the car will be in limp mode and will drive horribly. Depending on how far you have to go it may not be advisable. I had no problems once I loaded the tune though. Just clear the codes.
Now that's a good idea to save on installation costs. Do you have a feel for how much that saved you on the install?

Risto2G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Now that's a good idea to save on installation costs. Do you have a feel for how much that saved you on the install?
Not with any certainty, no. The tune took about a half hour at home so If they charge strictly by the hour at say $120 rate then you're looking at around $60 savings. Depends on their rate and how long "they" would take for that portion. If they charge just a flat install amount for the pack you wouldn't save anything unless you were to hash out some sort of deal dictating their lessened workload.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Not with any certainty, no. The tune took about a half hour at home so If they charge strictly by the hour at say $120 rate then you're looking at around $60 savings. Depends on their rate and how long "they" would take for that portion. If they charge just a flat install amount for the pack you wouldn't save anything unless you were to hash out some sort of deal dictating their lessened workload.

A half hour at most shops gets charged the full hr. Thats what Galpin did to my dismay.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Hmmm.... Doesn't save that much and then a "bad" drive home.

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
If you're hell bent on paying the dealer to install it but want to load the tune yourself, why not bring a laptop and do it in the parking lot?

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't be surprised to find that Ford made a cya note in their file stating that you declined having the tune loaded after parts install and drove off without it. I don't understand risking damaging your engine and losing powertrain warranty to save $60 when the main driver for this mod is to keep said powertrain warranty through Ford Performance.

It's possibly an expensive risk to save $60.

Risto2G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't be surprised to find that Ford made a cya note in their file stating that you declined having the tune loaded after parts install and drove off without it. I don't understand risking damaging your engine and losing powertrain warranty to save $60 when the main driver for this mod is to keep said powertrain warranty through Ford Performance.

It's possibly an expensive risk to save $60.
I didn't have far to drive and at the time there were a lot of unknowns, hindsight being 20/20 and all, and I don't know how much I specifically saved. The $60 was just an arbitrary number based on an example rate and time. Ultimately, I went with the less time in their hands the better so I removed the strut tower brace, engine cover and sound tube beforehand and didn't know how long the tune would take to load so decided to do it myself since I enjoy that stuff. Im just rehashing my experience and thoughts. They didn't warn me about anything regarding leaving without the tune (I specifically said I would load it myself) otherwise I would have had them do it, so maybe your mileage may vary by dealership? As far as damage, as I said, I didn't have far to drive. And my thoughts being a throttle body/CAI not being a major change except to airflow, that being in limp mode/short drive wouldn't incur damage. I've had the tune for over 6 months now with absolutely no issues. I'm not advocating everyone do this. Just giving my experience.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From my understanding the SAE mechanics or dealership had to install the tune to keep the warranty.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Installed mine yesterday. Biggest hassle was getting the bolt out that holds the sound tube to the firewall, by the time I got it out I messed up putting the rubber plug in as my hands were cramping up lol. I was surprised at how much a difference I felt on the test drive, when I did FRRP tune on my EcoBoost it took a couple hundred miles before it really fell good. The added low-end torque makes cruising even more fun and now, shifting near redline produces crackling goodness! (Track mode, Corsa cat-back for active exhaust, Corsa double H-pipe). Highly recommended and thanks to all that have contributed to this thread!

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Biggest hassle was getting the bolt out that holds the sound tube to the firewall, by the time I got it out I messed up putting the rubber plug in as my hands were cramping up lol.
You don't even have to take the nut off, just yank on the tube and it comes right out. Literally took less than 20 seconds to take it out and put the plug in.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
For those with this kit... does this fitting dig into your hood liner?
20210406_221206a.jpg

I was looking around under the hood the other day and noticed a pretty significant indentation in the hood insulation from this breather tube. It looks as though it will chew right through it at some point. I am wondering if I should compress the hood liner with my fingers to create an indentation to give it some space?

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
You don't even have to take the nut off, just yank on the tube and it comes right out. Literally took less than 20 seconds to take it out and put the plug in.
No amount of pulling would have helped...

tempImageSCRewz.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
No amount of pulling would have helped...

tempImageSCRewz.jpg
I couldn't pull mine off either. The strut tower brace was not allowing me to get ANY leverage on it. I can see in theory how you could pull it off. The rubber grommet will pull through the hole on the mounting tab.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those with this kit... does this fitting dig into your hood liner?
20210406_221206a.jpg

I was looking around under the hood the other day and noticed a pretty significant indentation in the hood insulation from this breather tube. It looks as though it will chew right through it at some point. I am wondering if I should compress the hood liner with my fingers to create an indentation to give it some space?

Yea mine rubs as well, there is a lot of headroom under there. I don't think there will be any issue with this. If you push up on the liner there is a lot of room. Also your overflow tank rubs on the liner as well along with the CAI. You can see a deep outline from the air box.
Sponsored