CFTP Wing

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I just grabbed whatever paper I had laying around and took my time making an accurate trace and then cut it out with scissors. I then carefully punched through where the three holes are in the upright base and then trimmed them to be concentric to their respective hole. Pretty easy, just takes a little time. Then I taped the template to the upright base, along with some strips of tape that were upside down. With the uprights installed on the wing, I set the entire assembly atop the decklid and let the contours dictate where it needed to be and carefully measured both sides to make sure they were the same. I then stuck the upside down tape to the decklid and carefully removed the tape that adhered the template to the base - boom, that's where she goes. I also checked the dogbone, placing it where it wanted to be and measured it to see if the holes would line up. They did, perfectly.

IMG_9199-L.jpg

IMG_9181-L.jpg

IMG_9193-M.jpg

The single, non-dogbone template hole on each side will line up with the existing hole so you just have to be sure the dogbone holes are right. Then punch, drill and verify.

IMG_9206-XL.jpg

IMG_9207-XL.jpg

IMG_9208-L.jpg

Of note...look carefully at the bolt holes for the dogbones. If you were to measure from the bolt hole center (or the edge of the holes you drilled, doesn't matter) to the edge of the decklid with a square, you'd see that the holes are on a slight skew and not the same distance from the edge of the decklid. Don't worry, this is correct. Both the driver side and the passenger side are like this. They base wants them like that so don't think something is wrong. All the cars I studied closely were like this.

IMG_9210-XL.jpg

IMG_9211-XL.jpg

The GT4 upright bases bolt directly to the decklid without any type of gasket. Since I didn't fill any of the existing unused holes that would be hidden under each base, and because I didn't want to crack the freshly painted decklid, I made some base gaskets from some reinforced sheet rubber I have. Again, a simple trace , cut and punch for the holes. I used two way adhesive on the rubber to base interface and put nothing on the side that would touch the decklid.

5P1A0078-L.jpg

z5P1A0081-XL.jpg

z5P1A0082-XL.jpg

Again, note how with everything installed, the dogbone wants to fit the contours of the underside of the decklid such that it is slightly askew (hence why they nip the bottom of the bone near the edge).

z5P1A0087-X3.jpg

Everything in place and bolted up, you can see how both the dogbone and the upright base fit the decklid contour perfectly. Not sure if any aftermarket wing bases will match up this well.

z5P1A0100-X3.jpg
Hmm..... are those wing mounts aluminum?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes they are.
Oh, for some reason I was thinking there was something wrong with aluminum. Are those knockoff aftermarket or are they a well known manufacturer?

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, for some reason I was thinking there was something wrong with aluminum. Are those knockoff aftermarket or are they a well known manufacturer?
Go back and read what I wrote. Did I say anywhere that a replica is bad? Did I say aluminum was bad? No I did not.

What I said is the MPR wing is not OEM. What I said was the replica wing does not have carbon mounts. What I said is the replica dog bones are not to the same quality as OEM (but will work fine). These things are factual and why the OEM wing will cost more than a replica, why some of us are willing to pay for it wether you like it or not.

What I said is (I) want OEM parts on (MY) car. I don’t care what you want, or your opinion on what I want. Now if you could get over yourself and let the man do what he wants that would be great thanks.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Go back and read what I wrote. Did I say anywhere that a replica is bad? Did I say aluminum was bad? No I did not.

What I said is the MPR wing is not OEM. What I said was the replica wing does not have carbon mounts. What I said is the replica dog bones are not to the same quality as OEM (but will work fine). These things are factual and why the OEM wing will cost more than a replica, why some of us are willing to pay for it wether you like it or not.

What I said is (I) want OEM parts on (MY) car. I don’t care what you want, or your opinion on what I want. Now if you could get over yourself and let the man do what he wants that would be great thanks.
I wasn't talking to you.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't talking to you.
It’s quite clear that you were, we all can read between the lines. Have a nice night Tom.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It’s quite clear that you were, we all can read between the lines. Have a nice night Tom.
No I was asking Tob a question. I consider him an expert on the subject matter, not you.... hence my question for Tob. If I had a question for you, I would have asked you and not quoted Tob.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that whoever the manufacturer of the aluminum mounts is, did so for a very good reason. I also suspect that may be the way I'd want to do a second wing if it is indeed superior.

So I'm the guy asking questions to find answers and you are the guy making some kind of accusation?

Hmm..... maybe its time to hit the sack Jamie. Goodnight.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No I was asking Tob a question. I consider him an expert on the subject matter, not you.... hence my question for Tob. If I had a question for you, I would have asked you and not quoted Tob.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that whoever the manufacturer of the aluminum mounts is, did so for a very good reason. I also suspect that may be the way I'd want to do a second wing if it is indeed superior.

So I'm the guy asking questions to find answers and you are the guy making some kind of accusation?

Hmm..... maybe its time to hit the sack Jamie. Goodnight.
Yup, that’s gonna make everyone believe you now…….

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yup, that’s gonna make everyone believe you now…….
I dont care jamie. I'm not trying to do so. Don't you think that its interesting that tobs mounts are aluminum? Ill wait for the answer.

Enjoy your wing and I hope it does something for you. Me, personally, I was a little underwhelmed by how the CF mounts were designed and manufactured. I sent kent and Charlie gasket seals for the design deficiencies.

I also find the height of the oem mounts to be a compromise for aesthetics over function. You don't see the GT4 wing sitting so low above the decklid, do you?

So I welcome further discussion from knowledgeable people such as Tob. Not so much from people like you with your biased opinion towards a product that belongs on a car with a different VIN. I welcome informed discussion based upon engineering and aerodynamic application, not aesthitics and looks.

Let's try this again......

Goodnight jamie

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I just grabbed whatever paper I had laying around and took my time making an accurate trace and then cut it out with scissors. I then carefully punched through where the three holes are in the upright base and then trimmed them to be concentric to their respective hole. Pretty easy, just takes a little time. Then I taped the template to the upright base, along with some strips of tape that were upside down. With the uprights installed on the wing, I set the entire assembly atop the decklid and let the contours dictate where it needed to be and carefully measured both sides to make sure they were the same. I then stuck the upside down tape to the decklid and carefully removed the tape that adhered the template to the base - boom, that's where she goes. I also checked the dogbone, placing it where it wanted to be and measured it to see if the holes would line up. They did, perfectly.
Thanks, I followed for the most part your premise and made my templates using a UPS Box. Made one then just traced the second from the first then cut and walla! As for making the holes right in case anyone is curious, I took 3-n-1 Oil and put it on the gasket around the screw holes with a QW-Tip and pressed the bracket onto the template which then made a wet ring to poke the hole in the right location (As seen on the dogbone bracket holes).

Thanks again.

2021-06-22 01.29.10.jpg

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Thanks, I followed for the most part your premise and made my templates using a UPS Box. Made one then just traced the second from the first then cut and walla! As for making the holes right in case anyone is curious, I took 3-n-1 Oil and put it on the gasket around the screw holes with a QW-Tip and pressed the bracket onto the template which then made a wet ring to poke the hole in the right location (As seen on the dogbone bracket holes).

Thanks again.

2021-06-22 01.29.10.jpg
I like the oil idea, i've been using toothpaste of transfers lol

WINTERFRESH BABYYY

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I took 3-n-1 Oil and put it on the gasket around the screw holes with a QW-Tip and pressed the bracket onto the template which then made a wet ring to poke the hole in the right location
Kinda like the ole Roll'er in flower and head for the wet spot trick lol

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
Use the ball end of a small ball peen hammer and tap the cardboard side against your bracket hole. Keep tapping lightly the edge of the hole and it will just about cut a hole out of the cardboard.
Sponsored