Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
The uprights and wing are both from the same company, the one that makes both the GT4 Mustangs as well as the Ford GT.:) No knockoffs here!

Regarding the material used for the base and upright 6061-T6 aluminum. It's what I would have chosen even if I could have had them in chopped fiber for the same price. Don't get me wrong, the CFTP mounts are gorgeous and an engineering marvel. But the cost and ability to reproduce them if I had to...not my cup of tea. At least until I hit the lottery, that is.

The upright base itself is a beautifully optimized and machined foundation from which to build upon. The upright "ladder" section is 6061-T6 as well, and it fits into a machined slot in the base and is then TIG welded along its perimeter underneath, and in a couple of small spots above.

Note the base and ladder portion...

zIMG_9192-X2.jpg

From underneath, when I was cutting up some rubber gaskets (that's actually the one for the other side, scuffed up for better adhesion). Anyway, you can see the weld stringer that fuses the two pieces together...

20210419_184438-XL.jpg

The portion at the top of the ladder section (that attaches to the wing itself from the underside) is actually steel - uncertain of the alloy. I prefer this to the CFTP interface at this juncture as it places the ladder section in double shear (vs single shear on the CFTP mount). Overkill? Maybe. But I'm good like that.

z5P1A0499-X2.jpg

The one thing I wasn't fond of with the GT4 wing was some of the fastener sizes chosen. Calcs may show them to have been adequate but I preferred at least an M6 whereas the wing came with much smaller fasteners. I drilled (and tapped where necessary) and used "tamper-proof-ish" fasteners anywhere where they were exposed.

20210420_192310-X2.jpg

Regarding the gaskets I cut, again I used a reinforced rubber sheet that was or fairly high durometer so it wouldn't compress unevenly.

20210419_183912-X2.jpg

20210419_185943-X2.jpg

20210419_185949-X2.jpg

Two way cement worked very well in bonding the rubber to the base and the gasket will hopefully minimize the potential for any water intrusion via the holes in the decklid that I didn't close up. If any water/condensate does get in between there at least it can exit via those holes too.

All in all, I'm a huge fan of the GT4 mounts from a strength and aesthetic aspect. Tweaked to minimize airflow disruption too. It is minimalist yet very robust. To some maybe not as pretty as the shorter uprights used on the CFTP cars but I'm fine with that.

z5P1A0562-X2.jpg

To the OP, sorry if this has gone a bit off the rails but if I may plead my case. This wing is the result of all the development work that originally went into the fixed wing on the race version of the Ford GT (the airfoil, anyway). It was then optimized for the GT4 car. The engineers that put the CFTP GT500 program together, used this wing to model a more "street friendly" version that while toned down a little, gets the job done. And with a Class A finish to boot whereas the GT4 hardware is more race-oriented (note the adjustable end plates too).

The engineers used the GT4 version you see here early on in development, albeit at a lower elevation...

z3-2-XL.jpg

I learned early on before it went public that Ford planned on using a GT4 wing variant on some version of the GT500 and spoke of it as soon as Ford let it slip (unknowingly) to others at Ford. When a development car showed up in the track parking lot at Mid-Ohio for some IMSA races it was no longer a secret that couldn't be shared.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ood-vents-up-close.103491/page-4#post-2243728

I still can't believe they used this wing on a production Mustang.

Interesting that the dogbones used on the GT350R are the exact same pieces that are used on the GT4 race wing and are now used on the CFTP wing as well. Ford was never known for commonality when there should have been but thankfully we see it here. Too bad they are so difficult to obtain from Ford or at a reasonable price. So thanks for the aftermarket here for stepping up to the plate in this regard.

20210510_124808-XL.jpg

And Jaime, I've seen you mention talk from Shelby regarding the hood you have on your wide body and that they told you it was at one time in the works for the GT500. Well that again comes from the GT4 car and the desire to take advantage of the better aero (reducing hood lift was one of a number of goals). While the GT4 CF hood itself was never seriously considered (cost) the functionality was not going to be let go. That black development car sported one that showed just how beneficial it was in testing (as much as the GT4 program had already shown that)...

z1-2-XL.jpg

zx-M-M.jpg

Sorry for some long winded explanations but a little background never hurt anybody (aside from modern sensitivities). Personally, I see potential where others may see limitation. I see the S550 as a shell and make changes to it as I see fit. I wanted the GT4 wing from the moment I saw one up close at Road Atlanta in 2017. I've had a factory rear seat delete in my last two Shelby's and added one to this one too. Others have their own druthers in this regard and I think that is great. So for you guys seeking out an OEM wing or an aftermarket version I'm excited for you and looking forward to seeing how it works out for you too.
I like those gaskets. I’m definitely going to have to address this short coming on my carbon fiber track pack car.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Believe it or not, dealer cost isn't that far away from what Tasca is asking.

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Jaime...that your guy?

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Here is mine that I got from them. Friday it goes to fix the minor issues. Ask for extra pictures, they were very accommodating when I asked.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jaime...that your guy?
Not who got mine for me, but definitely the place they came from.

Edited: It also sold, so to the OP, I would grab that deal you have been offered. Someone just paid the same price for a damaged one.

Last edited:

Mayberry

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 500, 2021 F350 King Ranch
So, $5000 for a blemished wing, and they sold all 3!
OP; I think you have your answer... $5000 and your Swing Spoiler for one in good condition sounds like a good deal!

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gone.

But I will say it again ASK for additional pictures, they are using the same standard picture it seems for every listing.
The one I posted was definitely a different group of pictures. And even mentioned the crack in one of the mounting bases.

Either way, another happy customer will have what they wanted on their car.
Sponsored