Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Great if it's your own labor. That last 10% is when you put on your big boy pants. EVEN @ 15K for GODZILLA your still going faster for 9K with a coyote.
No doubt they are saving hand over fist on their labor. They are making their own intakes. Aftermarket parts are coming though with prices being comparable to other engine designs.

$15k on top of a Godzilla would absolutely demolish $9k on top of a coyote.

Starting from scratch, $20k vs $20k on both engines....my money is on Godzilla.
Sponsored

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
I can't imagine how long this thread has dragged on. But since it has...

Why build a 7.3L for a street rod? The numbers tossed around are theoretical--15k, 50K, WTF? Anything can made to perform if your throw enough money and time into it. There are some brilliant fabricators around today that can build whatever you want--even if it borders on the ridiculous. Then what if it breaks? Where do you go for replacement parts for a one-of custom?

How about just buying a Kasse Boss 9? Race proven, reliable. 500-1000-hp, without forced induction starting at around $23,500. It makes more sense than a modified 7.3L. There is factory support you can call when you have questions. And there are parts available if you break it. If you want old school V8 power, what's more old school than a modern interpretation of a Ford Boss 429?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Starting from scratch, $20k vs $20k on both engines....my money is on Godzilla.
Now who's delusional. I may have given some cred.. but this statement is borderline rhubarb.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I can't imagine how long this thread has dragged on. But since it has...

Why build a 7.3L for a street rod? The numbers tossed around are theoretical--15k, 50K, WTF? Anything can made to perform if your throw enough money and time into it. There are some brilliant fabricators around today that can build whatever you want--even if it borders on the ridiculous. Then what if it breaks? Where do you go for replacement parts for a one-of custom?

How about just buying a Kasse Boss 9? Race proven, reliable. 500-1000-hp, without forced induction starting at around $23,500. It makes more sense than a modified 7.3L. There is factory support you can call when you have questions. And there are parts available if you break it. If you want old school V8 power, what's more old school than a modern interpretation of a Ford Boss 429?
I don't even know why this is an argument. For $23,000 you get a 600hp engine that still has a cast crank and a basic carb. It's inferior in design in every way to the Godzilla, and stupid expensive. You are paying for nostalgia, plain and simple. Yes, you can buy one that pumps out 800 or 900hp. But that's going to cost you....a lot.

As for numbers, some are theoretical yes. Mine are not. Take a stock Godzilla crate engine, add a port and polish to the heads, custom cam, custom intake, headers and tune. Add a few bits here and there....$15k invested is most certainly not unreasonable. Because they swapped pistons and rods (they plan on running 1800hp), they likely spent a bit more.

Give it 2-3 years and these engines will be available salvage for $3k-$4k. That's a hell of an opportunity, especially when there will be a big aftermarket for these by then.

Now who's delusional. I may have given some cred.. but this statement is borderline rhubarb.
Once again, you say nothing that refutes my posts. If you're going to argue, at least come up with some explanation as to why. Otherwise were back to the "but truck engine" mentality.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Once again, you say nothing that refutes my posts.
Don't have to refute shit. Google what it takes to make 1000 wheel in a coyote. You'll get parts needed, prices, packages, the whole 9 yards.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Don't have to refute shit. Google what it takes to make 1000 wheel in a coyote. You'll get parts needed, prices, packages, the whole 9 yards.
Ahh yes, now we have the “google it” excuse. Gotta love the folks that are too lazy to do their own research.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Lol, now you are arguing just to argue. Unproven new technology? The 7.3L is a pushrod engine. All of the technology has existed for years, they have simply improved upon it using modern engineering and computational technology. The 7.3L engine has better head design, better engine oiling system, better overall architecture.
You are missing the point. The 7.3L was designed for trucks. It may be fine for high performance applications and it may not. It may be reasonable to modify or it may cost a fortune. It would not be the first time Ford came out with a new engine that proved to be a dud. Time will tell.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh yes, now we have the “google it” excuse
Yeah cause theres a billion tried and true combos. Unlike the GODZILLA. I ain't gonna list em one by one

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You are missing the point. The 7.3L was designed for trucks. It may be fine for high performance applications and it may not. It may be reasonable to modify or it may cost a fortune. It would not be the first time Ford came out with a new engine that proved to be a dud. Time will tell.
The 5.0 was designed for trucks as were many a big block. That this wasn’t designed for a musta g does not mean the engine isn’t suitable for high horsepower.

Brian Wolfe, the former director of Ford Racing is building an 1800hp version for his drag car. All of the engineering specs are out there on this engine.

“Now-retired Ford executive Brian Wolfe, who has long drag raced and was instrumental in the rebirth of the Mustang Cobra Jet, shepherded it into existence. As such, this engine was built from an enthusiast's viewpoint and it incorporates lessons from Ford's boosted diesel and gas engines to create an engine that is described as 'overbuilt' for its intended application”

http://www.mustangandfords.com/features/1908-ford-godzilla-73-liter/

The engine was designed for durability. I’m curious, what exactly wouldn’t be suitable for high HP applications?

Once aftermarket intake and cams are available (soon) it’s going to be cheap to modify. There is a reason it’s already offered as a crate engine.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
THE ONLY FUKING THING STOCK ON HIS 800 FLYWHEEL HP ENGINE IS BLOCK/CRANK. HE EVEN WENT TO A SHAFT MOUNT ROCKER SETUP FFS. THAT'S WHAT? 15K IN PARTS RIGHT THERE. CUSTOM THIS AND THAT BULLSHIT.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
THE ONLY FUKING THING STOCK ON HIS 800 FLYWHEEL HP ENGINE IS BLOCK/CRANK. HE EVEN WENT TO A SHAFT MOUNT ROCKER SETUP FFS. THAT'S WHAT? 15K IN PARTS RIGHT THERE. CUSTOM THIS AND THAT BULLSHIT.
Man....it’s been a while since I’ve had a good laugh. $15k for custom shaft mount rockers? You are seriously out of touch with reality.

By the way, the heads are ported stock units. The oil pan and pump are stock. The bottom end isn’t, but only because he’s planning on running 1800hp. The bottom end isn’t adding any horsepower.

Remind me again what needs to be done to the coyote to reliably run 1200+ hp? Oh, that’s right. You need to sleeve your block and replace the entire bottom end. Go figure.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The 5.0 was designed for trucks as were many a big block. That this wasn’t designed for a musta g does not mean the engine isn’t suitable for high horsepower.

Brian Wolfe, the former director of Ford Racing is building an 1800hp version for his drag car. All of the engineering specs are out there on this engine.

“Now-retired Ford executive Brian Wolfe, who has long drag raced and was instrumental in the rebirth of the Mustang Cobra Jet, shepherded it into existence. As such, this engine was built from an enthusiast's viewpoint and it incorporates lessons from Ford's boosted diesel and gas engines to create an engine that is described as 'overbuilt' for its intended application”

http://www.mustangandfords.com/features/1908-ford-godzilla-73-liter/

The engine was designed for durability. I’m curious, what exactly wouldn’t be suitable for high HP applications?

Once aftermarket intake and cams are available (soon) it’s going to be cheap to modify. There is a reason it’s already offered as a crate engine.
I'll believe it when I see some results at a reasonable cost. Ford's has a long history of latest and greatest engines that proved to be underwhelming.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
No argument there. I would never personally swap one into an S550. A fox or a cobra kit car...hell yes. Hell, this would be pretty damn entertaining in a Datsun
Then why are we still talking about it in the S550 general forum? This would be a stupid, pointless swap into an S550 and would require a lot more money and a lot more modifications to make it fit than a blower of equal HP.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Looks like a great engine to drop into one of those Ford/Lincoln/Mercury land yachts from the 70s. Would be great to have a 7.3L fuel injected big block with a 10 speed auto in a Continental Town Car, Grand Marquis, or an LTD.
Sponsored