corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Torque seems low for a forced induction engine.
It wasn't forced induction . . . yet.
This is set up for a Whipple 3.0L blower, so cam and compression ratio not intended for NA power, chambers are softened and C16 fuel. This was just a run in so can take it apart and inspect it before the blower goes on

Norm

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Per his FB page:

"Not wanting to make any excuses. But to let you know what this motor is. 2020 MY Ford 7.3 L truck engine with Visner Engine Development ported stock heads, Visner intake Visner mechanical shaft mounted rocker arm system, Wisco 12.5:1 pistons, MGP aluminum rods, stock wet sump pan and oil pump, stock block and crank, Westcott mechanical roller cam and OBR control system and Team Z dyno headers This is set up for a Whipple 3.0L blower, so cam and compression ratio not intended for NA power, chambers are softened and C16 fuel. This was just a run in so can take it apart and inspect it before the blower goes on. I'm happy with the 790Hp anf 550 ft lbs without trying to optomize the cal."

Dyno can be seen at his FB page...

https://www.facebook.com/brian.wolfe.1401933?__tn__=,dCH-R-R&eid=ARAKf8w1i-OI9D5V_2u7gZhnLymDEjygoFSHZX71GD7FqQM-2lY1HsvqBuZxMQk-QsKWW3VnnQvZqma_&hc_ref=ARTN4Aq_IhF37WbWjRlmh90cLE6YevbTGOYBZeawZNLvIKFTI6J0eha_tyc6TthMdsA&fref=nf&hc_location=group

Power was still rising at 7600RPM but they ran out of injector (they were stock). So much for the "but this motor can't rev" hate.
Damn that's sick!!!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They basically made a race motor out of it. Ha ha. I'd like to see how much they had on that motor. And how about weight? Even though it's a pushrod, I bet it's heavier than the Coyote. At any rate, I'd never trade a DOHC engine for a pushrod one, but that's just me.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
They basically made a race motor out of it. Ha ha. I'd like to see how much they had on that motor. And how about weight? Even though it's a pushrod, I bet it's heavier than the Coyote. At any rate, I'd never trade a DOHC engine for a pushrod one, but that's just me.
It's absolutely heavier than a coyote...134LBS to be exact.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/... with,It turns out the 7.3L weighs 538 pounds.

With a more appropriate cam, pistons and bigger injectors that engine is going to be pushing 900hp NA. Not too shabby....considering the heads are still modified stock castings, stock block, stock oil pan and pump, stock injectors, stock crank etc. This isn't really a full on race engine build...at least not in the typical sense.

On a side note, I'm still dumbfounded by all of the folks that get upset about the weight. Do none of you realize what happens when you add a supercharger to the coyote? For some reason folks have no problem adding 130-150lbs of weight high up on the front end of the car but freak out over a "boat anchor truck engine" that adds 130lbs at a lower CG.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
It's absolutely heavier than a coyote...134LBS to be exact.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/watch-the-ford-7-3l-godzilla-dyno-pull-engine-weight-revealed#:~:text=The crew cab trucks will be offered with,It turns out the 7.3L weighs 538 pounds.

With a more appropriate cam, pistons and bigger injectors that engine is going to be pushing 900hp NA. Not too shabby....considering the heads are still modified stock castings, stock block, stock oil pan and pump, stock injectors, stock crank etc. This isn't really a full on race engine build...at least not in the typical sense.

On a side note, I'm still dumbfounded by all of the folks that get upset about the weight. Do none of you realize what happens when you add a supercharger to the coyote? For some reason folks have no problem adding 130-150lbs of weight high up on the front end of the car but freak out over a "boat anchor truck engine" that adds 130lbs at a lower CG.
The people talking about weight are sticking with NA engines.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The people talking about weight are sticking with NA engines.
Right, but they don’t bitch and moan at folks putting a blower on their car. Quite hypocritical no? Hell, there is a pretty good chance the chassis dynamics would be less upset at the 7.3 as the added weight is down low...and a pushrod carries its weight differently.

Different strokes for different folks, quite literally.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
If money was no object here’s my choice for a swap. No need for boost with a John Kasse boss 9...

https://ibb.co/5MCmDxh

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Right, but they don’t bitch and moan at folks putting a blower on their car. Quite hypocritical no? Hell, there is a pretty good chance the chassis dynamics would be less upset at the 7.3 as the added weight is down low...and a pushrod carries its weight differently.

Different strokes for different folks, quite literally.
People who put a blower on their car aren't serious about handling dynamics or track endurance. They all heat soak and the OEM ones that don't add even more weight to keep temps remotely under control (see 4000+ lb GT500).

Also this engine is big enough that it would move the CG a decent amount further forward.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
People who put a blower on their car aren't serious about handling dynamics or track endurance. They all heat soak and the OEM ones that don't add even more weight to keep temps remotely under control (see 4000+ lb GT500).

Also this engine is big enough that it would move the CG a decent amount further forward.
Again, those folks don’t throw up the “but weight” flag to those that want more power vs forced induction.

As for the CG, a whipper is going to throw the weight up high and a blower is going to throw the weight forward. A 7.3L is going to add the weight evenly, but at a lower CG. It’s not like it would be adding 130lbs in front of where the coyote would be.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Right, but they don’t bitch and moan at folks putting a blower on their car. Quite hypocritical no?
The main weight argument against the 7.3 is the fact that it's using a cast iron block in an era where aluminum is the default material for both block and heads. Meaning that as far as the Mustang is concerned, this 7.3 is heavier than it needs to be, for no benefit until you're talking about longer term durability with forced induction (which comes back to adding still more weight up high anyway).

Norm

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The whole point of this thread is to show that if you have the know how and the money to mod the 7.3 you can make 900 crank hp with this big motor. You can also make 900 with a coyote but only with it being boosted. The question is will the average guy be able to afford the mods needed for the 7.3, not to mention the fabrication needed to fit the motor into an s-550. The answer is no. Its easier and cheaper and alot less work to make 900 hp with a boosted coyote then a 7.3. You wont see to many of these swaps..

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I don't understand why anyone would get excited about this engine. Big block Ford crate engines have been available for years that make over 600 hp with no mods. They are proven performers.
Sponsored