Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The main weight argument against the 7.3 is the fact that it's using a cast iron block in an era where aluminum is the default material for both block and heads. Meaning that as far as the Mustang is concerned, this 7.3 is heavier than it needs to be, for no benefit until you're talking about longer term durability with forced induction (which comes back to adding still more weight up high anyway).

Norm
That's the main argument of some. Most just seem to believe that this engine was designed for a truck, therefore is a boat anchor without even knowing the size or weight penalty.

The whole point of this thread is to show that if you have the know how and the money to mod the 7.3 you can make 900 crank hp with this big motor. You can also make 900 with a coyote but only with it being boosted. The question is will the average guy be able to afford the mods needed for the 7.3, not to mention the fabrication needed to fit the motor into an s-550. The answer is no. Its easier and cheaper and alot less work to make 900 hp with a boosted coyote then a 7.3. You wont see to many of these swaps..
No argument there. I would never personally swap one into an S550. A fox or a cobra kit car...hell yes. Hell, this would be pretty damn entertaining in a Datsun.

I don't understand why anyone would get excited about this engine. Big block Ford crate engines have been available for years that make over 600 hp with no mods. They are proven performers.
They cost more money, are physically larger, heavier and have nowhere near the level of technology that these newer engines do (better blocks, better crank, better oiling, better cooling, better valvetrain, better head design etc.) and are less efficient. Being able to drop in a modern, fuel injected, efficient big block engine is a beautiful thing for many a hotrodder.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The whole point of this thread is to show that if you have the know how and the money to mod the 7.3 you can make 900 crank hp with this big motor. You can also make 900 with a coyote but only with it being boosted.
That's your argument? "enough know how & money" ? You know for under 20K you can make 1200 wheel from a coyote on the stock PCM right ? And more reliable as well. Your 50K 900 crank 7.3 liter would get eaten alive by a cheaper & lighter Jon Kaase BOSS 429.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
That's your argument? "enough know how & money" ? You know for under 20K you can make 1200 wheel from a coyote on the stock PCM right ? And more reliable as well. Your 50K 900 crank 7.3 liter would get eaten alive by a cheaper & lighter Jon Kaase BOSS 429.
$50k? I'm sorry, you're delusional.

As for 1200 reliable horsepower, it's going to be easier (and cheaper) to do with a 7.3L engine.

A snippet from a past article....

"One of Wolfe's reasons for wanting this engine in his Mustang explains the weight penalty: Godzilla was designed for durability, providing a solid platform for the 1,700 or 1,800 horsepower Wolfe eventually wants to get out of the engine for Ultra Street competition."

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/10/ford-fox-body-mustang-drag-car-godzilla-v8-engine/

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
K.. let's hear your 100 adult dollars recipe for a 900hp 7.3 grandmaster M.
Brian Wolfe is nearing that mark with a supercharger cam and lower compression. From his setup, change the cam, bump compression, bigger injectors and race fuel. Done.

You're turn, let's here how you expect this engine to cost $50k when they likely have less than $5k invested in mods currently on top of the crate engine.

Or am I again going to be the only adult that actually sites numbers and references while the rest of the peanut gallery shouts "but truck engine!" ?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's the main argument of some. Most just seem to believe that this engine was designed for a truck, therefore is a boat anchor without even knowing the size or weight penalty.
"Cast iron", "7.3L V8", and the fact that Ford already told us what they were going to be putting it in . . . really says all you need to know as far as weight is concerned.

Norm

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You're turn
on3 twin kit + id1200's + fore return dual hat. 1000+whp all day long.

"Cast iron", "7.3L V8", and the fact that Ford already told us what they were going to be putting it in . . . really says all you need to know as far as weight is concerned.
How dare you bring logic to the conversation !! haha !

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Norm
For a reasonable person, you'd be correct. Go back and read through and you'll find many opponents were thinking this was going to be the same weight as an old stock big black that had cast iron heads and intakes. It wasn't going to be able to produce horsepower. It wasn't going to be able to rev.

If someone is going to call the 7.3L engine a heavy boat anchor, then they best start calling the coyote with a supercharger a boat anchor. At least then there will be some consistency.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
on3 twin kit + id1200's + fore return dual hat. 1000+whp all day long.

How dare you bring logic to the conversation !! haha !
1000hp...all day, for 50k miles until the cylinders distort or until the oil pump gear explodes....whichever comes first. But yeah, super reliable.

But that wasn't my question, describe how in detail you figure it's going to cost $50k to push a 7.3L Godzilla engine to 900hp. Seems to me you just pulled a number out of your ass...which seems to be typical of the arguments in here.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to me you just pulled a number out of your ass
I did. But I bet ya and adult dollar I ain't far off. NOBODY builds NA 900 hp NA engines for under 40K.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I did. But I bet ya and adult dollar I ain't far off. NOBODY builds NA 900 hp NA engines for under 40K.
You're going to bet on something you pulled out of your ass? Remind me not to take you to Vegas with me anytime soon.

As for nobody, Brian Wolfe is at ~800hp on supercharger cam and compression setup....with likely less than $15k all in. In time my friend, in time.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
They cost more money, are physically larger, heavier and have nowhere near the level of technology that these newer engines do (better blocks, better crank, better oiling, better cooling, better valvetrain, better head design etc.) and are less efficient. Being able to drop in a modern, fuel injected, efficient big block engine is a beautiful thing for many a hotrodder.
The big block Ford crate motors use seasoned blocks, custom heads and the best aftermarket components. They are proven to be reliable and to make the power they are advertised for. I'll take one over unproven new technology any time, especially when it is being used for other than it's intended purpose. Maybe when the Ford 7.3 has established a track record, it would be worth considering.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The big block Ford crate motors use seasoned blocks, custom heads and the best aftermarket components. They are proven to be reliable and to make the power they are advertised for. I'll take one over unproven new technology any time, especially when it is being used for other than it's intended purpose. Maybe when the Ford 7.3 has established a track record, it would be worth considering.
Lol, now you are arguing just to argue. Unproven new technology? The 7.3L is a pushrod engine. All of the technology has existed for years, they have simply improved upon it using modern engineering and computational technology. The 7.3L engine has better head design, better engine oiling system, better overall architecture.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
As for nobody, Brian Wolfe is at ~800hp on supercharger cam and compression setup....with likely less than $15k all in. In time my friend, in time.
Great if it's your own labor. That last 10% is when you put on your big boy pants. EVEN @ 15K for GODZILLA your still going faster for 9K with a coyote.
Sponsored