corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I own a 2018 GT. All I've done to it is add a tune and a little suspension work. I have no serious complaints about the car. I think Ford did a great job evolving the Mustang and improving every aspect of it. That said, for me, it's numb. I've had two previous S197 cars (4.6L and 5.8L) and they were both wild and fun to drive. They felt alive, especially after I added gears to the 4.6L.

My 18 is really docile and compliant. This is perfect for an all season daily driver but I'm looking for a summer only/fair weather car I can have fun with going to work or running errands. I would like that to be my S550 Shelby I'm waiting on but who knows when that will arrive. Plus, 700+ horses is too much to partially daily in my area (DMV) with all the stop lights so I save my current Shelby for road trips with the wife and the road course. I'm looking at picking up a Boss 302 for myself.

Will I regret it?
I think what you're saying is that while you realize that your '18 is really nice as a car, it's just a little too refined to be precisely the right 'fit' for you.

Given that your wife is at least OK with the Shelby as a road trip car, then it really isn't about the S197 being too unrefined. I suspect she's looking at potentially moving from a S550 GT to a S197 Boss representing a loss of image, where loss of C&C features is still a downgrade even though you aren't using most of them. Perhaps where "what will the neighbors think" may be taken as something that matters.

Norm
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you like the S197, I don't see why not. The Boss 302 is a cool looking car. The Boss 302 accelerates about as quick as an '18 M6 GT, so that's nearly a wash ('18 GT traps +1 mph over the Boss). However, the lack of modern tech. in the interior would bother me, and the '18 interior, well, at least the Premium, is a lot nicer IMO. Better design, more modern, way more tech. For me, personally, I definitely prefer the '18 exterior styling as well, over even the Boss 302.

That said, is your car a PP1 w/ MagneRide? The MagneRide is cool, as it can change the feel of the car. From compliant but competent in normal mode, to stiff and very sporty feeling in track mode. With sport+ in-between. I like Sport+ for the twisties. Anyway, yeah, the '18+ are pretty refined sports cars, IMO.

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
I do not have the PP1. I did 'upgrade' to the koni oranges with the CJPP springs. The ride is very comfortable. Definitely needs the Brembo brakes though.. I really miss them.

I'm going to put wireless Android Auto in the Boss and upgrade the speakers but that's really it for the interior. I've been trying to talk myself out of the Boss for some of the reasons mentioned, it's a 'step down' technology wise but unfortunately I don't even notice the premium interior and don't use any of the Sync features. I just plug my phone in and turn on Pandora/Google maps. I've never but once changed the "MyColor" in my 14, same for my 18.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'll make the swap when the right deal comes around. I've got my down payment ready.

97novi2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
I did drive an 18 MT when I was looking but preferred the boss honestly. When I was looking the Boss was cheaper also but I think they are probably closer now

It all depends on what you want. My boss is not my daily and I probably put 1k a year on it so I could care less about premium stuff, blind spot, navigation, etc. the boss sound system could be the worst on the planet lol, but I don’t ever turn it on anyways.

I actually like the look of the boss better and the fact there are way less of them out there. To each their own, I recommend driving one and see how you like it

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
Got any pictures of your Boss?

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I do not have the PP1. I did 'upgrade' to the koni oranges with the CJPP springs. The ride is very comfortable. Definitely needs the Brembo brakes though.. I really miss them.

I'm going to put wireless Android Auto in the Boss and upgrade the speakers but that's really it for the interior. I've been trying to talk myself out of the Boss for some of the reasons mentioned, it's a 'step down' technology wise but unfortunately I don't even notice the premium interior and don't use any of the Sync features. I just plug my phone in and turn on Pandora/Google maps. I've never but once changed the "MyColor" in my 14, same for my 18.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'll make the swap when the right deal comes around. I've got my down payment ready.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy the Boss. It’s a bad ride for sure.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OP, You can get some really cheap S197's that you would build up to a pretty nice ride over time, but I would not want one as a daily driver. If you are going to get a Boss, the best thing to do with one is park it and only drive it to keep it in good shape. The Boss will be worth something 20 years from now if kept with low miles. A low mileage GT500 or GT350 will also be a pretty good investment if you can get the right price for one and can afford having a car strictly as an investment and driven rarely.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Nothing against Boss, great choice....but for fun 2003 SVT Cobra, port, tune and pulley, drive. Save 10k-15k. (Mach 1 most likely fun too)
Your wife isn't gonna do anything going backwards, so forget trying to please her.
The Cobra is a great town car, plus you get the supercharger whine. Sure it's a old platform and not that fast anymore, but fun? Yes yes

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
Nothing against Boss, great choice....but for fun 2003 SVT Cobra, port, tune and pulley, drive. Save 10k-15k. (Mach 1 most likely fun too)
Your wife isn't gonna do anything going backwards, so forget trying to please her.
The Cobra is a great town car, plus you get the supercharger whine. Sure it's a old platform and not that fast anymore, but fun? Yes yes
I second this. Compared to the 5.0 the old 4.6L's in the GT's were just bad, only 4.6 I'd considering going down from a 5.0 coyote would be a boosted 4.6 only.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would love a Terminator but the issue is clean examples are still $20-$25k.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
I always thought the S197 was ugly IMO....as the interior was too.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
OP, You can get some really cheap S197's that you would build up to a pretty nice ride over time, but I would not want one as a daily driver.
Are you suggesting that you wouldn't have daily-driven a S197 six, eight, or ten years ago when it didn't have the S550 to be compared against?

And if it would have been good enough as a DD back then, why wouldn't it be just as good today (minus the "I've got the latest and greatest part")?

Norm

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
I would love a Terminator but the issue is clean examples are still $20-$25k.
There's a reason for that. Not sure you know exactly what you want. If your looking at a boss302 your going to be spending that much on a car. If your looking for a collector car
If I could get out of my 2018 GT and go back to a 2005-2009 GT, I wouldn't hesitate.

The S550 just doesn't do for me what the S197 did. I'm bored with it and stuck.

For the record, I've owned two S197 4.6 cars, and two S550s with the 5.0.
Think you need your thinking meat checked. The old 2v and 3v 4.6 cars were pretty tame when it comes to power.l compared to the 5.0's. not sure you really know what it is you want exactly. I recommend doing nothing till you figure it out.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
05-09 S197 dirt cheap and a Paxton from Beefcake would still be a pretty damn fun combo.
Sponsored