Sponsored

Going back to an S197 a bad idea?

Shnngns5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2019 GT, Velocity Blue 2019 GT
I traded my '14 gt for my '19. The '19, without a question is the way better car. '14 had everything BMR under it, and handled great, was a mt82 (that was problem free), and I loved that car. My '19, is my first auto mustang, and man..kinda boring, way faster, way more comfortable, and easier to live in. But I grew up around foxes, and the '14 reminded me of a foxbody, just a little more polished. I'm dying for another stick car, have thought about a fox, but don't want a huge project, have thought clean '05-09 car, with exhaust, bunch of suspension, just as a "fun" cruiser to go out and flog on.

One thing I will say, being an automatic, and I don't dick with the paddles really, I really don't feel bad flogging that car, where I'd feel kinda bad for beating on my 6 speed car. Always a little fear of breaking the mt82, locked out of a gear etc.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
LOL - definitely well cared for and nearly “mint”, but good luck at $42k (for a standard non-LS B302) and getting a bank to finance a 8+ year old vehicle at a decent rate.
I can’t believe someone kept it for 8 years and didn’t really drive it. Wonder what the trade in price was they got on that. Sure wasn’t 42k.

What’s a decent rate? It’s gonna depends upon credit score and which financial institution wants to take it on and for what. Only reason why I bring this up is that my bank at the time I picked up a 7 year old GT500 for right at 2.99% which I thought was pretty good. Maybe that’s too high :) I didn’t keep it long enough to find out.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes you will regret it, I tried the same thing only to end up in a 14 with low miles and a clunky rearend that had to be rebuilt twice by Ford and a driveshaft, not to mention old tech.
Sorry to read about you having axle problems, but I doubt they're all that common (and I'm going to blame Ford for not getting it right the first time, not the car).

There's nothing wrong with "old tech" as long as it provides enough of what an individual wants. There are people who don't want (let alone need) as much tech as others.

Norm

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Shocked you have flung a rod out the side of the block. Must not be running very much boost.
Got her turned down, only running 19 PSI. The blue line was me swapping to a stage 1.5 cam from a stage 3 cam, banged my head on that wall for over a year, who knew smaller was better?

kvcyki9-png.png

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Call me crazy, but I also miss the 2005-2009 interior.

There's just something about the 05-09. They don't pretend to be euro sports cars.
IOW, the appeal is in the relative simplicity and lack of refinement . . .

Norm

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I had a 13 GT Brembo pkg premium with the A6 and I loved it, even with it's suspension issues (for me), and a few other things I didn't like, like the steering wheel. I wouldn't have traded it for a S550 GT, GT PP, or even a Shelby from 15 to 17; that is until the 2018 and 19 GT PP2 came out. Now I have a 19 GT PP2 premium, and of course with the M6, and digital dash. Are there some things about the 19 I don't like? Well, kind of. I'd rather have an A10 than the manual. If I have to have a M6, then I'd like to have a lower 1st gear and a 3:55 gears in the Tremec rear end. The technology overwhelms me sometimes, and I don't like having to reset a bunch of stuff after I turn the car off; like steering, ride, and exhaust.There are a few other things as well.

I was looking at some pictures of the 13 and 19 last night, and one thing that stuck out was the front end of the 13. It just looked intimidating, as if to be saying GET OUT OF MY WAY. I always loved the front end of the 13.
I like the overall appearance of the 19 over the 13, but the front end of the 19 just doesn't seem as aggressive as the 13.

Am I sorry I traded. Not a bit. The 19 GT PP2 is a much better car than the 13 GT Brembo, but I loved them both. Would I go back to a S197 of my choice. Not unless I could keep my PP2.

Shnngns5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2019 GT, Velocity Blue 2019 GT
^^bring your car to Central Texas, I'll trade you an a10, and all the stuff for your whole mt82 setup

gammer2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely respect your experience there. Is this your daily driver? Do you think it was just bad luck and you would have been happier if you didn't have all the issues?
Not to mention needing a new top because the rear defrost lines were broken and also needed hood repainted due to corrosion. I was looking at around $3K to still have a 6 year old car. And yes its my daily driver. so I put that money into the down payment and the rest is history.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
As a person who just upgraded from a HEAVILY modified S197 GT to a 18GT with PP1 and magneride, they are night and day difference cars. Full disclosure, I came from a base 12 GT with full bolt ons to an optioned out 18GT. I wouldn't go back to save my mother's life....(ok maybe I would).

Here's the difference:
  1. The 18GT feels like a much more refined version of the 1st gen cars. Mine has MagneRide, so that could be why, but it goes from tame to back end out in a matter of seconds.
  2. The S197 is worse in every performance metric than your 18. That's just facts. There's no argument to be had, it's worse.
  3. The S197 interior is far cheaper, even in the premium forms, than your 18. It is also less coherent, and shares too many parts/design queues from the 05-09 cars.
  4. The solid axle is great for drag applications. Are you a dedicated drag racer? If not, you have no reason to want the live axle over the IRS.
  5. You will not find many new parts for the S197 platform. The industry has ubiquitously moved on from the S197 and most new/interesting parts are ALL for the S550 cars. They have sold far more S550s than S197s, so I don't see the aftermarket giving the S197 some love anytime soon.
I will say, the 13/14 tail lights are still the best of the entire 56 year production run, but that's not a solid enough reason to switch to an S197 as a daily.

Let me know if you're interested in more differences. I feel like if you went to test drive a S197, you would understand quite quickly.
Sponsored

Last edited: