Going back to an S197 a bad idea?

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
I own a 2018 GT. All I've done to it is add a tune and a little suspension work. I have no serious complaints about the car. I think Ford did a great job evolving the Mustang and improving every aspect of it. That said, for me, it's numb. I've had two previous S197 cars (4.6L and 5.8L) and they were both wild and fun to drive. They felt alive, especially after I added gears to the 4.6L.

My 18 is really docile and compliant. This is perfect for an all season daily driver but I'm looking for a summer only/fair weather car I can have fun with going to work or running errands. I would like that to be my S550 Shelby I'm waiting on but who knows when that will arrive. Plus, 700+ horses is too much to partially daily in my area (DMV) with all the stop lights so I save my current Shelby for road trips with the wife and the road course. I'm looking at picking up a Boss 302 for myself.

Will I regret it?
Sponsored

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
You will probably regret the creature comforts of the 18 mostly. Performance wise you should be about the same. I personally can't stand the S197 interior. It's so bad in my opinion and was the major reason why I never entertained an S197. Love the looks of the car just hated the interior.

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
That's what my wife said. This car has so many features I don't use i.e heated and cooled seats, adaptive cruise control, etc. The only feature I would have to add back is Android Auto and Pandora but that's an easy fix. Anyway, she thinks it's a dumb idea. I told her the Boss is actually valued $4k more than my car but she said that doesn't make it right..

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2018 GT. All I've done to it is add a tune and a little suspension work. I have no serious complaints about the car. I think Ford did a great job evolving the Mustang and improving every aspect of it. That said, for me, it's numb. I've had two previous S197 cars (4.6L and 5.8L) and they were both wild and fun to drive. They felt alive, especially after I added gears to the 4.6L.

My 18 is really docile and compliant. This is perfect for an all season daily driver but I'm looking for a summer only/fair weather car I can have fun with going to work or running errands. I would like that to be my S550 Shelby I'm waiting on but who knows when that will arrive. Plus, 700+ horses is too much to partially daily in my area (DMV) with all the stop lights so I save my current Shelby for road trips with the wife and the road course. I'm looking at picking up a Boss 302 for myself.

Will I regret it?
Only you can answer that. First you said you wanted a fun fair weather car then you said you didn't want a 700+ car for a daily. So lets start with the first thing you said you wanted. A summer fun car. Add a SC like Roush which is exactly like stock in tuning and boom you have a summer fun car. But lets say you want it to be a daily. Roush tuning makes it just like stock in drivabilty. But if you wait on the Shelby of course thats by far your best option but adding something like a rroush is a decent option. if your out of warranty getting e85 tuning or a whipple with a soft tune is also a great option.

I for example am at 750hp, with coil overs, Roush ab\xpipe, and semi slicks. That is strictly a fun car. The suspension is too stiff for my 50 year old body, the tires too slick for bad weather, and way way too loud for leaving the neighborhood every morning at 7am. But if I had just 750hp or e85 i would have no issue dailying it.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The seats in s197 suck. But, those can be changed. Is your 18 a manual? A decent E85 tune on an a10 is not what I would call docile. lol.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase

Will I regret it?
If I could get out of my 2018 GT and go back to a 2005-2009 GT, I wouldn't hesitate.

The S550 just doesn't do for me what the S197 did. I'm bored with it and stuck.

For the record, I've owned two S197 4.6 cars, and two S550s with the 5.0.

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
The seats in s197 suck. But, those can be changed. Is your 18 a manual? A decent E85 tune on an a10 is not what I would call docile. lol.
It's a manual. I would make sure to get the Recaros but they would be cloth, which I prefer over the leather ones in my Shelby.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It's a manual. I would make sure to get the Recaros but they would be cloth, which I prefer over the leather ones in my Shelby.
Well your fighting that m6 gearing from a stop on stock low timing. As stated if you have access to E85 tuning would help the power low to mid range to get that snap you are looking for back.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Is it a performance package car?

That will make a difference too. If not, it’s a very compliant ride. A lot of the untamed feeling from the S197 is due to the live axle.

Your S197 even with gears would have the snot kicked out of it by your 18. The gearing in 18 is descriptive. It’s a mid 12 second car, easily a full second faster than your 4.6 S197.

I like both.. for me the 13-14 S197 is the sweet spot with the face lift and “gen 1.5” coyote. I’ve driven both, a lot while looking, and the S197 always “felt” like a Mustang. The S197 doesn’t. It turns, stops and plants power like a whole different vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you 100% on my 18 beating my old 4.6L. That's why I was looking at picking up a Boss. I would lose a little bit of torque but gain the novelty and the fun factor back. Or so I think. I want to test drive a Boss but people keep saying there is some sort of virus going around and we have to stay indoors? What is that about..

97novi2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
I was in a similar situation to you last year. I was looking at buying a new GT or and older Boss or gt500. I actually ended up buying a boss 302. The boss is very well rounded and balanced and raw. Obviously it doesn’t have any cool features but I like that I never see them on the road, I pass several new GTs a week. It checked all the boxes for what I wanted and I have 0 regrets. The engine is still bullet proof like the new ones and can be modded when you want. DM me if you have any questions

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Have you been living under a rock OP?
I was making a joke. My company has had me working from home since early March and started monitoring and initiating their sequestration plans back in mid February.

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
I was in a similar situation to you last year. I was looking at buying a new GT or and older Boss or gt500. I actually ended up buying a boss 302. The boss is very well rounded and balanced and raw. Obviously it doesn’t have any cool features but I like that I never see them on the road, I pass several new GTs a week. It checked all the boxes for what I wanted and I have 0 regrets. The engine is still bullet proof like the new ones and can be modded when you want. DM me if you have any questions
Did you ever test drive the GT before you made your decision?
Sponsored