5.0 going bad

egutenberger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
I can confirm, I have a 2018 GT vehicle that has a 5.0 that went bad at 7,700 miles. Right side valves on two cylinders and cam. Vehicle was not driven aggressively. Ford replaced the entire engine under warranty with new crate motor. No root cause identified. So far, 9500 miles on new engine and everything feels good. Check the failure stats on the type of engine, I think the 5.0 is pretty solid in general.
Sponsored

GR1MxREAPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Run good quality oil and change it sooner then they tell you. Don’t run that 5w20 piss water either. Use 5/30 oil. 5/50 if tracking a lot or boosted. You really don’t hear of many failures of these engines at all especially for how many are out there in trucks and mustangs. Unless they are huge horsepower or idiots over revving them

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
While I don't doubt that the Coyote has a good reliability record so far, it's worth noting that most of the high mileage success stories are about the first two generations. The third generation is quite a bit more complex, not to mention its super-duper plasma coating, which nobody knows how well will last over time.
Personally, I'm more worried about accessories and electronics than the engine per se. A mechanically perfect engine can be rendered useless by a failed injector or ECU, which in twenty years' time you may not be able to source anymore.
As someone who owns a gen 3 I totally agree. I have less faith in this engine than before.

But I plan to keep mine under warranty and most likely extended it for years to come.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
I have 5000 miles on mine, wife drives it mostly at low rpm's and it's still going strong.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
While I don't doubt that the Coyote has a good reliability record so far, it's worth noting that most of the high mileage success stories are about the first two generations. The third generation is quite a bit more complex, not to mention its super-duper plasma coating, which nobody knows how well will last over time.
Personally, I'm more worried about accessories and electronics than the engine per se. A mechanically perfect engine can be rendered useless by a failed injector or ECU, which in twenty years' time you may not be able to source anymore.
To be fair the plasma liners are not new in the engineering world and the PTWA process has been used by other car companies such as Nissan and BMW. Ford extensively tested it over 250,000 mile duty cycles and found wear was minimal. If there was going to be a 'hidden fault' it would have shown up by now with the number built and the miles driven. There must be loads of Coyotes that have done 100k plus miles by now made in 2018/19

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
To be fair the plasma liners are not new in the engineering world and the PTWA process has been used by other car companies such as Nissan and BMW. Ford extensively tested it over 250,000 mile duty cycles and found wear was minimal. If there was going to be a 'hidden fault' it would have shown up by now with the number built and the miles driven. There must be loads of Coyotes that have done 100k plus miles by now made in 2018/19
I believe the 2012 or 2013 Shelby GT500 came with PTWA liners that were done in Germany.

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
I can confirm, I have a 2018 GT vehicle that has a 5.0 that went bad at 7,700 miles. Right side valves on two cylinders and cam. Vehicle was not driven aggressively. Ford replaced the entire engine under warranty with new crate motor. No root cause identified. So far, 9500 miles on new engine and everything feels good. Check the failure stats on the type of engine, I think the 5.0 is pretty solid in general.
The thing that people have to realize that just about EVERY PRODUCT EVER MADE has, on average, a 1% to 3% defect rate. That includes things that don't have any design flaws at all.

Also, people tend to be LOUD and REPETITIVE when things go wrong while staying completely silent when things work out just fine.

Sounds like you fell into that unfortunate percentage there, but you are also being more on the reasonable side of dealing with your defective engine.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
If you can search and read how Ford tortured this engine during development, I think this will put all the BS to rest.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
As others have stated, not entirely sure where you're hearing this.
From guys/gals at the cars & coffee who insist on bouncing the engine off the limiter it in neutral for a minute straight.

JUNQDAWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT 5.0 10 SPEED
I hear a lot about the 5.0 going bad even with low miles on them. Is it really a big problem?
I can't believe "WHAT" I'M reading here ... 5.0 BAD PROBLEMS ? 2018 10 sp auto .19" wheels . Pure as the day it was born .....with 25K hard miles on the clock .... 27 MPG on Cruise at 78 mph "PLUS" HIGH 11's ET in QUARTER MIle .............Where the hell you gonna find something that performs like that ? PLUS at the time before car prices went insane , drive out for 35K less taxes { I'm TAX exempt fortunately }
I'd give anything to "GO BACK TO MY HIGHSCHOOL DAYS " with one of these. 426 Hemi's were lucky to see mid 12's / 7 liters vs 5 . Don't ya love technology ?

BADASS MALIBU's 396/365 HP a bit slower ..........I could only afford a 66 MUSTANG GT F/Back 289/271 HP and was lucky to see a High 13 's !/4 mile .
What a difference 50 short years make HUH ?

OK time for my prunes and warm milk ,off to bed .......junqdawg .

PS.. PLZ take this in the humor it was meant to portray . Apples to Oranges and all that stuff .... HEMI'S WERE THE KING .NO DOUBT .... I guess you could say with the HELLCAT ..THEY STILL ARE !!!!!

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
MY heart misfires and will give out before that engine does! :cwl::cwl: The least of my worries. Drive baby drive!
Sponsored