Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
There’s always Malort for the unconventional drinker. I kinda like it for some strange reason even though it tastes like pencil shavings and regret.
31FB9CE7-19BB-4980-8DBB-6F40142FBAC7.jpeg
Plastic bottle alert. I avoid anything the manufacturer won't put in a glass bottle.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
9dd8a814a9c5af00c1d4c8e8207f9c4a13314098_1024x1024.jpeg

I'm normally a Scotch guy, but I tried this the other day and it's amazing. Highly recommend.
Spent many a night in Osaka visiting whiskey bars with factory folks. I have many fond memories of the whiskey's I drank there. Or at least I think I do :giggle:

Five_Point_OHHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I don't get all the naysayers tbh, not exactly a new far fetched idea to swap an engine. JDM crowds put crazy swaps in whatever they can dream up. Top Secret Japan put a v12 into a supra. Necessary? of course not. Making out of this world power that can't be had from a 2JZ? nope. Lots of custom fab? you bet.

My earlier comment was because I read so much on this forum in that mindset- "I'm thinking about getting coil overs"- SHUT UP AND BOOST IT BRO

Also its a bit early to dismiss it when it hasn't had any real time out on the market. People were dismissing the C8 all day because 'no way it's that fast, its too cheap, its gonna suck' and now that its out people's jaws are dropping.

You kids these days :facepalm:

Sponsored

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
I don't get all the naysayers tbh, not exactly a new far fetched idea to swap an engine. JDM crowds put crazy swaps in whatever they can dream up. Top Secret Japan put a v12 into a supra. Necessary? of course not. Making out of this world power that can't be had from a 2JZ? nope. Lots of custom fab? you bet.

My earlier comment was because I read so much on this forum in that mindset- "I'm thinking about getting coil overs"- SHUT UP AND BOOST IT BRO

Also its a bit early to dismiss it when it hasn't had any real time out on the market. People were dismissing the C8 all day because 'no way it's that fast, its too cheap, its gonna suck' and now that its out people's jaws are dropping.

You kids these days :facepalm:
The idea of a swap has to be tempered by the weight of the pocketbook and the intent. A total custom engine build for a DD? A custom build for the drag strip? The cost has to be weighed against the cost of development/purchase from existing parts/suppliers. I have seen a Ford pickup with a heart transplant--the Ford 302 was swapped for an Isuzu commercial truck inline 6-cylinder. Why? Because. </shrug>

But if uniqueness outweighs materials and labor, why build a 7.3?

Ford built a CanAm competition engine off the Boss 429 that was an aluminum block 494-CI. If I remember right, Fast Eddie Schartmann used one of those blocks as a match racer; replacing the heads and hand fabricating the intake manifold. I think it was stroked to 516-CI and generated 920-HP. Or go the other way--be unique and use a Mountune 2.0L turbo based on the global rally car powerplants. That 2L cranked 600-HP tuned to class specs. I understand that the developers claimed they could get over 800-hp from the I-4. That would give the Ecoboost Mustang a little more hustle! Even with the weight of the plumbing for the turbo, I doubt it would weigh more than an iron block 7.3.

PS--I think the C8 is a step forward in performance. However, it is a step back in style. Just my opinion, I think the C7 is a better looking vehicle. (Confession: my favorite Corvette is the '63 split window.)

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I looked it up, found this article on Road & Track.

Skipping through the video for a dyno graph, don't really see one but there is a chart towards the end that shows 563.
563 engine dyno HP. The VooDoo makes 526hp measured on the far more restrictive dyno with all accessories and emission equipment attached. To put this in further perspective, my built 415ci SBC made 553hp on an engine dyno, the same type of dyno the 7.3 made 563hp. On a dynojet, that same engine made 417 rwhp. The 7.3 doesn’t impress.

Sponsored

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
Spent many a night in Osaka visiting whiskey bars with factory folks. I have many fond memories of the whiskey's I drank there. Or at least I think I do :giggle:
I feel ya on that one. I was in Japan in October and had a bunch of different whiskeys in Isehara. Found this the other day and had to buy a few bottles. Solid investment.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Seriously. You needed to bring back the worst thread in the history of the forum. Shame on you. :cwl::crackup:

Q2lTFrCxdyQfKqttxlH1xgnedJrH3gC4ETMK7qtjec-eKBm0uGQQtR3Z0qStxmBevDidCHkMV5EFMcDFv0vW3QQAxscaM36k.jpg

By the way didn't you notice there already was a new thread. If you absolutely positively have too, go here...........

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-as-a-crate-engine.143903/page-2#post-2946908
It really is the worst. Since I had obviously ignored it for about 4 months and came back to see that it had completely derailed, and that OP's dreams morphed into reality, I would throw this out ther, and hopefully someone ruins their S550 and shoehorns that big block in there.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
and no, of course I didn't see that other silly thread. Obviously Billy was too quick for me.
Sponsored