Anyone Else want a Turbo Inline Six?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
There aren't many inline 6's anymore for a few reasons...

1) Harder to pass emissions
2) Fuel mileage
3) Hard to fit in engine bay(If the vehicle is FWD, there would be no room for a transmission. If the vehicle is RWD, a longer hood is needed)

The pro to an inline 6 though is they are usually tough as nails. One of the more durable motor setups. They are a less complicated motor.

Unfortunately, there is 0 chance Ford would make an inline 6 for the US market for the reasons stated above about why hardly anyone makes them anymore. Yes, there are tons of articles about the inline 6 making a comeback(BMW and Mercedes mostly). I call bs. I just don't see inline 6's sticking around.
Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Nah, the Ford GT used the 6 because it saved weight and simultaneously allowed them to make the engine bay smaller (to save even more weight) while still hitting their power target.
And that's why the new Ford GT will never be as desirable as something like a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or McLaren.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I think ford missed the boat in 2011. While the ecoboost has largely been a success there’s a lot of folks out there that don’t like the stigma of a v6. Inline 6 brings back fond memories of the old 300 and even Cummins, so I think that group would have been more easily swayed away from their v8’s to an L6 rather than a V. Plus, ford already had years of development of the barra in Australia that I think could have been leveraged.

I would never buy one of the new Silverado’s but I have to say their diesel 3.0 inline 6 is far more attractive to me than the ford and ram v6s.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I wish Ford would put one in the Mustang! Seems tailor made for that long low engine bay. It would be great to have as an option.

And Ford, put a metal valve cover on her.
No thank you. Waited a long time to get my Coyote. There’s no going back.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
And that's why the new Ford GT will never be as desirable as something like a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or McLaren.
I would take the new gt over those three any day of the week. The gt is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. Go to a cars an coffee, there are tons of lambos, McLaren's and Ferrari's but your lucky if there is one gt there

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
If there was a choice between the current EB 4 turbo and a strait 6 turbo I’d take the 6 all day long.

Deleted member

I would take the new gt over those three any day of the week. The gt is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. Go to a cars an coffee, there are tons of lambos, McLaren's and Ferrari's but your lucky if there is one gt there
Agreed x100 you need to get a fully optioned Aventador SVj, 720s, or 488 gtb to even be in the GT's price range and the GT is FAR more exclusive car than any of the 3 I mentioned.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No, I want a Ford with a new ecoboost take on the Mustangs traditional inline six!
I would be fine with a turbo six being available, but I don't have any emotional attachment or romantic desire for one. I don't think they sound good, even if they make enough power. I also wouldn't buy a car with a turbo six in it. I've driven lots of vehicles with 6 cylinder engines, and I just don't like them very much. If the V8 went away and was replaced by a turbo 6, I might never buy another new Mustang again. That's how much I dislike 6 cylinder engines.

My '70 convertible came with a 250 straight six. The dumbest thing I ever did was to rebuild that engine. Later I swapped in a worn out 302 and it had so much better performance it was crazy. Plus now the car sounds great.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Q Tip

Q Tip

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 10spd PP1
Definitely not in place of the Coyote, or even the 4cyl. I'd just like to have that option. I personally love the straight six sound, smooth power delivery, and torque characteristic. I think those attributes would really shine in the Mustang, with a healthy dose of boost.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The Ford Barra inline 6cyl engine, from the Australian market, would be a beast in the Mustang platform...But I still love my 5.0!

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Ford wouldn't develop an all new inline six just to be an option on the Mustang. A version of the 3.5 twin turbo V6 would be interesting. A turbocharged, dohc, direct injected V6 with variable valve timing is a far cry from the pushrod V6s of the past. And they can be made to sound a lot better than fart can four bangers.

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Nothing sounds as good as an American V8 even if the Inline 6 had more power.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost