Sponsored

Randy Pobst Twitter Today

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
That's pretty laughable. The gap between a 4S and Cup 2 is pretty huge. If you don't recognize that the majority of the gap is tires, not a small fraction, you're simply wrong. If it's 5 seconds, 3-3.5s of that is Cup 2 over the 4S.

Have you driven on both? You'd know this if you have.
Im More than a little familiar with the difference tires make.
The CFTP isn’t gaining its performance in tires alone. THAT is laughable. The tires help. But it’s just part of the equation. And yes, I said fraction. If you actually thought about what a fraction is And the range that covers, before your knee-jerk reaction, you’d simply agree. The tires are a fraction of the whole performance increase.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty laughable. The gap between a 4S and Cup 2 is pretty huge. .
Tire review measured 1.5 sec difference between 4S and Cup 2 so pretty huge is not exactly true it's not 5 sec difference.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I feel like people are arguing the wrong things.

Pobst didnt sandbag cftp, but surely did base, in order to keep the zle above and to keep them happy/able.to talk about something

The 5 seconds aint 5 seconds, ita probably within 3, amd those 3 are the difference between everything youre discussing
Racing series use spec tires so Ford should on their street cars when every manufacturer from GM to Porsche to Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, BMW, etc... All work with tire companies to make custom tires for specific performance model road cars. Ya, makes sense to me :facepalm:

No one said these cars "only" work with the custom tires, but rather you probably won't get an off the shelf tire that works better as a dual purpose street and track tire than these custom tires.
He's going to argue until he's right. If he doesn't get it at this point, I'd hope that it's on purpose.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I feel like people are arguing the wrong things.

Pobst didnt sandbag cftp, but surely did base, in order to keep the zle above and to keep them happy/able.to talk about something

The 5 seconds aint 5 seconds, ita probably within 3, amd those 3 are the difference between everything youre discussing
Your probably on to something there. Im not buying a 5 second spread either.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
This....there ain't no 5 seconds difference in the 2 cars on that track on the same day by the same driver....

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Your probably on to something there. Im not buying a 5 second spread either.
This....there ain't no 5 seconds difference in the 2 cars on that track on the same day by the same driver....
If hes known to sandbag, which from what i gather, he is. The driver in hm HAD to see what the CFTP could do; the Chevy Trend in him had to give the gm crowd a bone

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
If hes known to sandbag, which from what i gather, he is. The driver in hm HAD to see what the CFTP could do; the Chevy Trend in him had to give the gm crowd a bone
He is known to sandbag? LOL what?!

If anything, he is a volvo guy.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
He is known to sandbag? LOL what?!

If anything, he is a volvo guy.
then you haven’t paid attention to the car enthusiast communities. He’s a GM nut.

and he’s definitely been “known for sandbagging.”

the crazy thing is just how obvious he is about it. Watch his videos and don’t pay attention to the car he’s driving. Just listen to his voice and watch his body struggle vs. not. When he’s pushing it, he can barely talk, when he’s sandbagging, he JC’s talk all day really loud and say all manner of great things about the car he isn’t trying really hard to drive at its limits. It’s almost funny if it wasn’t so disingenuous. Really hope he reads these and jumps in to defend what many have noticed. He’s a great driver. But he’s got some obvious bias that prevent him from applying his skills equally across makes and models.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Tire review measured 1.5 sec difference between 4S and Cup 2 so pretty huge is not exactly true it's not 5 sec difference.
On what track? The track in that review video is approx 1/3 the size and laptime of VIR. 1.5 x 3 = 4.5. Of course, that's simplifying it, but you're going to see at least two times that delta on a course of that size. Proves point: ~3-3.5 of the 5 is tires.

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
On what track? The track in that review video is approx 1/3 the size and laptime of VIR. 1.5 x 3 = 4.5. Of course, that's simplifying it, but you're going to see at least two times that delta on a course of that size. Proves point: ~3-3.5 of the 5 is tires.
I honestly think that the difference between MPS4s and Cup 2 is not that huge and there is other things in play in the 5 seconds difference between Base and CFTP for example I watch tons of Formula 1 and between soft and hard tires on most tracks the difference is around the 1.5 sec a lap. I suspect between MPS4s and Cup 2 is around that mark as well. Though never driven ether of the tires on track so I can't make an educated statement.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Interesting debate. I hope we learn more soon. I was more on the "less difference from tires" side before reading through all the posts - now I'm not so sure or leaning toward the "more difference from tires alone" side.

I think part of why I changed is considering that the life of the two tires are very different. I owned a regular GT350, and I wouldn't want to drive regularly on tires that wear out in as few miles as the Cup 2s do. I believe the Cup 2s last ~1/3 as long as the Pilots did. I also felt the Pilot SS tires were really good on track - good enough for me. But there's no denying that the Cup 2s have a lot more grip, which goes along with the shorter life.

I previously was thinking that the rear wing would make a big difference on a high power car at speed (helping the rear tires grip and put the power down).

I guess my bottom line is the results are going to be different on different tracks and only the people who drive both cars on the same track will really know. And that's a short list of people. Billy Johnson probably knows better than anyone.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Its pretty simple. Tires.
Use the best tires for the application.
You cannot put more force on a tire that is already slipping/going to slip with X force applied to it

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does the track have 3x the period spent in lateral acceleration? Is the straight not longer? Doesn’t prove any point at all. VIR times between the two tires are more like 2 seconds and have been for a while. Something isn’t right somewhere.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
then you haven’t paid attention to the car enthusiast communities. He’s a GM nut.

and he’s definitely been “known for sandbagging.”

the crazy thing is just how obvious he is about it. Watch his videos and don’t pay attention to the car he’s driving. Just listen to his voice and watch his body struggle vs. not. When he’s pushing it, he can barely talk, when he’s sandbagging, he JC’s talk all day really loud and say all manner of great things about the car he isn’t trying really hard to drive at its limits. It’s almost funny if it wasn’t so disingenuous. Really hope he reads these and jumps in to defend what many have noticed. He’s a great driver. But he’s got some obvious bias that prevent him from applying his skills equally across makes and models.
Sounds like it's tinfoil hat time.

How do you know the base time was slower than the ZLE when they didn't release times?

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Here's my good friend Tom at Road Atlanta checking camber. They were running near -4*. [ATTACH=full said:
417431[/ATTACH]

And of course, accurate and repeatable (as well as quick) camber changes can benefit the car and be used to tune for different tracks, etc. The "plates" from Multimatic are fantastic in this regard.

xz IMG_4067.jpg~original.jpg
Where the heck can I get that camber setup???
Sponsored