Sponsored

Cammisa and Pobst go for it in GT500 vs GT3 (and Challenger, Ferrari)

5-PT-OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I agree they should be on the car and it would be really interesting to know how much having them on the car would improve lap times.

Regarding the 0.15 seconds, that time is so small that you should ignore it. Randy probably lost more time than that when he messed up the one corner in the GT500.
im curious if they removed the drip tray from the hood vent. I couldn’t tell in the videos.

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZLE, 2013 Honda Si, Grandad's 67 C2 L89
GT3RS and GT500 were both on Cup2s. Both cars had half cages and harnesses (not stock). Anyone who has ever tracked a heavy car on Cup2s know that they get extremely greasy after one hero lap or 2. Advantage; lighter car.

A non glitter/Hollywood version of how data was collected by Cammisa and Icons can be found here.

Lap times on GT500 fell off dramatically after the first lap (starts around the 30:00 mark). Porsche would have had nearly a 2 second lead after 3 laps. Don't get me wrong, to run that close to the GT3RS on a hot lap is impressive to say the least.

Let the fat girls run! ZLE vs. CFTP. Stock configuration, OEM tires/fluids, no cages or harnesses. Will we truly understand their track capabilities unless they run for 20-30 minutes on different types of circuits at 9-10/10? Same driver same day. A completely unbiased, car vs. car comparison conducted by an independent source with no factory assistance. I'm thinking that a nice combination of technical and high speed circuits might be; Road Atlanta, VIR, Watkins Glen, Road America, Sonoma and Laguna Seca. Or maybe 3+ laps at Nordschleife. This is an ultra expensive fantasy that is not going to happen.

Unless Pobst will be driving your car at your next track day, when cars are this closely matched on the road course, lap times inevitably come down to driver skillset.

These are great times for the American performance car. Someone will build an even faster car in a year or two (C8 Z06 motor is homologation for C8.R).

Life is short, if your meal ticket isn't dependent on your lap times, enjoy the ride.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
GT3RS and GT500 were both on Cup2s. Both cars had half cages and harnesses (not stock). Anyone who has ever tracked a heavy car on Cup2s know that they get extremely greasy after one hero lap or 2. Advantage; lighter car.

A non glitter/Hollywood version of how data was collected by Cammisa and Icons can be found here.

Lap times on GT500 fell off dramatically after the first lap (starts around the 30:00 mark). Porsche would have had nearly a 2 second lead after 3 laps. Don't get me wrong, to run that close to the GT3RS on a hot lap is impressive to say the least.
Great video!

Jason was very adamant on these cars being in factory stock form (track alignments were ok).

Cliff notes:

GM didn't have any ZL1 1LE's available.

Ford insisted on the car having a roll cage for safety if they were driving. When they found out Randy was driving it, they said it wasn't necessary. When they found out the GT3 RS had a cage, they went ahead and said yes to the cage in the GT500 to make things equal.

The GT3 RS was ran on cup 2's. Because R's aren't available from the factory, Jason refused to test the RS with them. He even calls out all articles that use the R's as complete BS.

The drag race was derived based on car and drivers 1/4 mile numbers. It took 20 takes with different cameras and angles. The races were real, but the outcome was pre-determined.

In the drag race where it shows the hellcat was gaining on the GT500....it's because Jason let off on the GT500 to let the hellcat catch up. Randy botched the launch, and they needed the cars to appear closer for the shot.

The GT500 lost 0.8 seconds on the second lap and 0.1 seconds for the third. The Porsche lost ~ 0.1 seconds for the first few laps. Both cars set their lap times on the first lap.

The GT500 was ahead for all but 3 corners.

There is a lot more information that I left out. It's a great informative video.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Good stuff. That is how you do it. I love how transparent Cammisa is with all the data. And how no BS he is. With Car and Driver and Motrotrend you 100% don't get that.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase

Stock SS 1LE 1:57.7 at Chuckwalla, track alignment and running 285 instead of 305 in the back.
Sponsored