Sponsored

Randy Pobst Twitter Today

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Multimatic. Be forewarned, they aren't cheap and they don't have "sales."

In addition, they are damper specific. Those are setup for DSSV's and not Mag dampers.
Sponsored

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Multimatic. Be forewarned, they aren't cheap and they don't have "sales."

In addition, they are damper specific. Those are setup for DSSV's and not Mag dampers.
I have an $80,000 base mustang gt... so l know how to waste money! LMAO! thanks!

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Sounds like it's tinfoil hat time.

How do you know the base time was slower than the ZLE when they didn't release times?
Iā€™d be willing to bet a delivery pizza heā€™s right

I have an $80,000 base mustang gt... so l know how to waste money! LMAO! thanks!
well that would actually show you know how to save money, spending 80k on a car that performs like itā€™s worth twice that

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I like your thinking! Hahaha!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
On what track? The track in that review video is approx 1/3 the size and laptime of VIR. 1.5 x 3 = 4.5. Of course, that's simplifying it, but you're going to see at least two times that delta on a course of that size. Proves point: ~3-3.5 of the 5 is tires.
I honestly donā€™t think people here understand that when you get to these crazy amounts of power how the increase grip from one tire such as the 4S makes so much of a difference when you go to an R compound. That R compound Allows for much later breaking, more lateral G and speed through corners and quicker for Full throttle acceleration out of it. The other parts of the CFTP Package no question work and have an impact, however their affect is dramatically decreased without the grip provided by the R compound.

Sponsored

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
Cup 2's are VASTLY superior to P4S on a track, unless it is raining.

I can believe that the tires play a big role in the times for the two models.

The ZL1 base GY's fare a lot better than PS4's on the track. The ZLE gains are mostly the suspension and aero, as well as having wider tires than the base model.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I honestly donā€™t think people here understand that when you get to these crazy amounts of power how the increase grip from one tire such as the 4S makes so much of a difference when you go to an R compound. That R compound Allows for much later breaking, more lateral G and speed through corners and quicker for Full throttle acceleration out of it. The other parts of the CFTP Package no question work and have an impact, however their affect is dramatically decreased without the grip provided by the R compound.
You canā€™t simply add time in a linear fashion based on length of track. Everyone knows itā€™s more complicated than that.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
This is true as the lap time difference could be even greater than a proportional multiplier.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Because downforce, unsprung weight, and specifically tuned magride don't matter...

The whole CFTP works together to provide the driver the absolute best experience possible out of the chassis. Adding just the tires will get you part of the way there but I can't help feel like there is gonna be a noticeable difference in key factors like body roll.

Is it worth the extra coin? For me, no. I'll never be able to drive it to that potential. But to others who can and will, I'd say absolutely.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
You canā€™t simply add time in a linear fashion based on length of track. Everyone knows itā€™s more complicated than that.
Youā€™re right, they are not totally linear nor did I ever say that. However we arenā€™t comparing different vehicles here with different characteristics, we are simply comparing tires. And thereā€™s a much closer relationship there. For example the 1LE at the ring is 13.6 seconds faster on the 12.9 mile circuit than the ZL1. At VIR 4.1 miles 4.4 seconds 1LE faster. Totally different tracks yet very similar differences. I imagine the GT500 will have very similar differences from track to track.
You could individually swap the wing/suspension/weight reduction or tires. None well reduce the base (w/tp) like the tires. Now if I was a full on track rat (not the 2-3 a year I currently do) Iā€™d go all in on the complete package for sure.
Is there any data on the wing where the additional downforce really comes into play? I know a lot of times the speeds have to be much higher then we typically see to get the true benefit. Iā€™d be very curious to see what kind of gains the CF wheels provide, my thought is they mostly relate to a better feel, and response not necessarily much lap time increase. But Iā€™d love to see some data on that if anyone has ever done it seen data on it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Does the track have 3x the period spent in lateral acceleration? Is the straight not longer? Doesnā€™t prove any point at all. VIR times between the two tires are more like 2 seconds and have been for a while. Something isnā€™t right somewhere.
cant have the base 500 beating the zl1 1LE, can we?

whether or not the base is faster As driven by randy, the time disparity lends credence to the sandbag issue.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
another Good example ā€˜16 350R ran a 1:36.11 at Laguna Seca, now I couldnā€™t find a ā€˜16 350 but Maybe someone else has it or knows? They made some tweaks to areo and suspension and added SC2 tires and the ā€˜19 350 ran a 1:36.83!! Now obviously there complete tuning for the added grip helped but thatā€™s gotta say something about the tire.