Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
The C5 is like.. the worst interior of the modern Vette's. It's peak terrible GM. Still trying to figure out why you traded your GT350 for a C5. I love pop up headlights as much as anyone, but I would have given them up for a C6 grand sport

You may feel safer in the 944, but the c5 has the advantage of 15-20 years of development and will keep you safer.

Mustang is a nice platform. And I'll agree that it's performance is close to a C5 Vette
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The C5 is like.. the worst interior of the modern Vette's. It's peak terrible GM. Still trying to figure out why you traded your GT350 for a C5. I love pop up headlights as much as anyone, but I would have given them up for a C6 grand sport

You may feel safer in the 944, but the c5 has the advantage of 15-20 years of development and will keep you safer.

Mustang is a nice platform. And I'll agree that it's performance is close to a C5 Vette
I'm not an "interior guy". I actually like the C5 interior better than the C6. The C6 video screen is pretty lame. The C5 has most of the interior parts wrapped in something - not leather but some soft vinyl or other imitation leather substitute that to me is nice compared to hard plastics that most cars get. Anyway - interior wasn't really something that influenced my buying decision. The C5 interior is plenty good enough for me.

The suspension/chassis of the C5 is pretty great in my opinion. Between being very light and having a low center of gravity, you get really good body control without super stiff suspension. And really great grip with the 50/50 weight distribution. The grip and the predictable way the car reacts under power is where the C5 really shines.

IMO the C6 is butt ugly. I did consider buying one anyway for the performance but then the model that I liked the most has a big problem with exhaust guides prematurely wearing and destroying the engine.

Both the C6 and C7 have detachable roofs and you can't get them with a solid roof. Good for track days? I guess if you trust it enough. I saw some videos of those roofs rattling on relatively new cars and that concerned me as well. I owned an '83 Mustang with T tops and after I did an engine swap the T tops would leak outside air into the interior whenever I nailed the gas pedal. Yuck.

Like I said, the C7 cabin is just a little too tight for me as far as head room goes. I don't think I could get a helmet on without rubbing against the roof constantly. And I didn't like the shouty interior with all the displays. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but for the money there were too many downsides.

The C6 and C7 also gained a bunch of weight over the C5, which makes them less appealing to me.

The C5 is very good on the street, but on track it totally sucks balls compared to a GT350 or even a regular Mustang GT. Yes it can pull Gs with the super low center of gravity, but the LS engine is lame. It probably could be improved with heads and a cam. I've been trying to decide whether the car/chassis/platform itself is good enough for me to want to modify it or whether I'm just going to sell it on and get something else. I really like the basic idea of the car - low, light and small - not designed for golf outings or car pools.

The C5 has too small of a radiator, weak brakes, no cooling for the transmission or rear differential... it's not hardened for track use. All things that can be fixed, I realize that.

I agree the C5 is probably safer than the 944. Just the fact that it's so much more agile in every way gives me more of a chance to avoid someone on the road. Not sure if ancient airbags enhance or degrade safety.

Yet another part of my decision to buy the C5 is that values aren't going down quickly right now. And there are still really good, clean, low mile originals available. So this was my chance to own one and try it out. Kind of like a car guy bucket list - something I wanted to own and get very familiar with - not just test drive and beat up someone else's car. I'm glad I bought it, whether I end up keeping it or not. The GT350 was way better, but clean, low-miles GT350s will be available for quite a few years to come. There's no need for me to hurry to get another, even though I want to go buy one right now.

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
So you'll just have to spend the 68k or around there for the C8 Z51. Or if you want one that's faster right now you can pick up a C7 Z06 or ZR1. Of course the ZR1 is quite a bit more expensive but we all know there's some deals going around now for the Z06.

We already know - 60k.

Oh yeah, that jigsaw puzzle HP reveal was totally not a game... It's taken GM less time to reveal a whole new platform than it's taken Ford to reveal that they finally figured out how to put a supercharger on an S550

Someone doesn’t understand marketing and anticipation. It was a creative way of doing it and kept people glue to the social media account. Don’t hate because it’s cool.

and you’re kidding right? Either that or you’re ignorant of history.
GM has been working on a mid engine corvette FOREVER. Like 40 years.

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/auto-n...gine-corvette-concepts-chevrolet-almost-built

they finally produced something they can sell.

and we will see how history treats it. You’d better hope and pray that a lowly Mustang doesn’t whoop it up or even come close -after 40 years of development and making all the compromises to get it small and light enough.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT

It's funny that you mention about the S550 mustangs having bad interior. The C5 and C6 corvette probably had amazing interiors. lol.. I always wanted a C6 Zr1 but could not see myself driving a car of that price that has the same steering wheel of Cobalt and the poorly designed interior of the C5 and C6 has plastic squeaking all over the place. I'm happy with my 2015 GT interior, It's just right for my use, not too fancy like those exagerated euro cars or not too cheap like GM chinese interior.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
I'm not an "interior guy". I actually like the C5 interior better than the C6. The C6 video screen is pretty lame. The C5 has most of the interior parts wrapped in something - not leather but some soft vinyl or other imitation leather substitute that to me is nice compared to hard plastics that most cars get. Anyway - interior wasn't really something that influenced my buying decision. The C5 interior is plenty good enough for me.

The suspension/chassis of the C5 is pretty great in my opinion. Between being very light and having a low center of gravity, you get really good body control without super stiff suspension. And really great grip with the 50/50 weight distribution. The grip and the predictable way the car reacts under power is where the C5 really shines.

IMO the C6 is butt ugly. I did consider buying one anyway for the performance but then the model that I liked the most has a big problem with exhaust guides prematurely wearing and destroying the engine.

Both the C6 and C7 have detachable roofs and you can't get them with a solid roof. Good for track days? I guess if you trust it enough. I saw some videos of those roofs rattling on relatively new cars and that concerned me as well. I owned an '83 Mustang with T tops and after I did an engine swap the T tops would leak outside air into the interior whenever I nailed the gas pedal. Yuck.

Like I said, the C7 cabin is just a little too tight for me as far as head room goes. I don't think I could get a helmet on without rubbing against the roof constantly. And I didn't like the shouty interior with all the displays. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but for the money there were too many downsides.

The C6 and C7 also gained a bunch of weight over the C5, which makes them less appealing to me.

The C5 is very good on the street, but on track it totally sucks balls compared to a GT350 or even a regular Mustang GT. Yes it can pull Gs with the super low center of gravity, but the LS engine is lame. It probably could be improved with heads and a cam. I've been trying to decide whether the car/chassis/platform itself is good enough for me to want to modify it or whether I'm just going to sell it on and get something else. I really like the basic idea of the car - low, light and small - not designed for golf outings or car pools.

The C5 has too small of a radiator, weak brakes, no cooling for the transmission or rear differential... it's not hardened for track use. All things that can be fixed, I realize that.

I agree the C5 is probably safer than the 944. Just the fact that it's so much more agile in every way gives me more of a chance to avoid someone on the road. Not sure if ancient airbags enhance or degrade safety.

Yet another part of my decision to buy the C5 is that values aren't going down quickly right now. And there are still really good, clean, low mile originals available. So this was my chance to own one and try it out. Kind of like a car guy bucket list - something I wanted to own and get very familiar with - not just test drive and beat up someone else's car. I'm glad I bought it, whether I end up keeping it or not. The GT350 was way better, but clean, low-miles GT350s will be available for quite a few years to come. There's no need for me to hurry to get another, even though I want to go buy one right now.

I agree, The C5 is also my favourite corvette. I also like the C6 but the C7 is just butt ugly imo. The car is like a C6 on steroids and has very weird lines that just don't flow right depending on the angle you look at it. I'm sure is a good car but the Transformers movies inspiration was quite clear from GM engineers. Same with the new camaro, those things look like piles of junk on wheels. It's a car for millennial taste and exaggerated BS all over, not for me.. I have a PSP already covered in dust, lol..

Was also going to look into a C5/ C6 if I wasn't in the middle of a restoration process with my 69 camaro, but, oh boy, that interior on the C5 and C6 I don't know if I could. The C6's are very light cars, The C7's are the ones that are Heavy and ugly as sin...

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree, The C5 is also my favourite corvette. I also like the C6 but the C7 is just butt ugly imo. The car is like a C6 on steroids and has very weird lines that just don't flow right depending on the angle you look at it. I'm sure is a good car but the Transformers movies inspiration was quite clear from GM engineers. Same with the new camaro, those things look like piles of junk on wheels. It's a car for millennial taste and exaggerated BS all over, not for me.. I have a PSP already covered in dust, lol..

Was also going to look into a C5/ C6 if I wasn't in the middle of a restoration process with my 69 camaro, but, oh boy, that interior on the C5 and C6 I don't know if I could. The C6's are very light cars, The C7's are the ones that are Heavy and ugly as sin...
The C6 Z06 is light due to having aluminum subframes, but it has the LS7 with the valve guide issues. I would consider a C6 Z06 if the engine had been fixed up, and I still might go there next even if I have to fix the engine myself. Maybe if I find the right car.

But if you go to the C6 Grand Sport, it's 3400 lbs. Not bad, but ~300 lbs heavier since it doesn't have the aluminum in it.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Someone doesn’t understand marketing and anticipation. It was a creative way of doing it and kept people glue to the social media account. Don’t hate because it’s cool.

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/auto-n...gine-corvette-concepts-chevrolet-almost-built

and we will see how history treats it. You’d better hope and pray that a lowly Mustang doesn’t whoop it up or even come close -after 40 years of development and making all the compromises to get it small and light enough.
Just to be clear “working on” is relative. Money and resources doesn’t get directed to any program until it has a positive business case that gets it put into the Product Plan. I capitalized Product Plan for a reason. That is a very specific document that details what vehicle program teams are allowed to spend money and people resources on.

Engineers have been developing ideas and proposals for mid-engine Vettes since Zora Argus-Duntov, but for some of the chief engineers (Dave Hill, Tom Wallace) it wasn’t really a priority and they didn’t really push for resources to get it done. Tadge worked under both of them and was always hell bent on making it happen. When he took the helm it was pretty obvious that there would be a full tilt effort to make it happen. And clearly it did.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase

Sooo... you think the C8 has been in development for literally 40 years? Can I have some of what you're smoking?

<cue ancient pushrod truck engine joke>

You know the GT500 costs more (base vs base) than the C8, right? Better hope that lowly C8 that's down over 250hp doesn't come close.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
It won't. I know for a fact because my uncle works at Ford.
Cool! So it's 0-60 time is under 3 seconds? And your uncle has driven both back to back and has the numbers to show the GT500 is faster? Please share, especially if you have the facts!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Cool! So it's 0-60 time is under 3 seconds? And your uncle has driven both back to back and has the numbers to show the GT500 is faster? Please share, especially if you have the facts!
The base C8 isn't the model that had 0-60 under 3 seconds. That's the Z51.

Remember how I was complaining about this?

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
lol, 0-60 time. "faster" isn't determined by 0-60 times.. :cwl::cwl:

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I can't believe I have to use this twice in one week...
It's been a long week.

The base C8 isn't the model that had 0-60 under 3 seconds. That's the Z51.

Remember how I was complaining about this?
Well, the base is 3.0 seconds so the GT500 would have to do sub 3 to beat it ;)

lol, 0-60 time. "faster" isn't determined by 0-60 times.. :cwl::cwl:
Top speed then? But I guess since the GT500 is limited to 180 and the current ZL1 / C7 and the C8 beat that those are all faster?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's been a long week.

Well, the base is 3.0 seconds so the GT500 would have to do sub 3 to beat it ;)

Top speed then? But I guess since the GT500 is limited to 180 and the current ZL1 / C7 and the C8 beat that those are all faster?
lol.. 0-60 is a paper metric. Used to determine if you can beat Karen's mini van to the next stop light. And no one races to top speed. This is isn't Europe. try 1\4 mile.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
1/4 mile, track times same day/driver, 0-100-0 (somewhat relevant), and ACTUAL price of the spec that can match the GT500.
So lets use my car. With a proper tune which would put it at 675rwhp (around 770 crank) , with an A10, 4000lbs it's capable of running low to mid 10's. Most A10 supercharged S550's with a custom tune, which puts it at the same HP level as the GT500 are capable of that time. Weighing around 4000lbs usually. GT500 will be around the same HP rating but with dct but 200lbs extra weight. I'm saying mid 10's based upon that. Knowing Chevy it will take an act of God for the C8 to come close to their claimed 1/4 mile times of lowish 11's in the real world... As in real people going to the track. Not magazines.

Thats the Ford tune and nothing else time. Shit is goign to get real when people start making minor modifications to these cars.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I mean what's the damn point? All you get is a slip of crappy paper with barely legible purple ink stating an elapsed time and what the radar gun said. When you wave the slip of paper at any watering hole within 30 miles do you get free drinks every night you show up? Do ladies of ill repute swoon and then accost you at every opportunity in order to experience your stud-muffin accomplishments in going fast in a straight line for a handful of seconds? Do you get showered with thousands of dollars and trophies proclaiming your mastery of time, space, tire compound and fueling curves?

Who the Fk cares? Is the chin nod (wa'ssap) the reason you get out of bed every day?
10.3, 10.5 10.8, 11.1. It doesn't matter. It means nothing. It accomplishes less.
Sponsored