Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I would take that bet. And you can't change the all-season tires or the brakes or any cooling in your track comparison between the base C8 and the GT500.
Yeah, I'm not seeing the base C8 beating the 500 on a road course. All seasons are no bueno
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, I'm not seeing the base C8 beating the 500 on a road course. All seasons are no bueno
It might be faster for a lap or two on a small track or autocross, but I would assume on a larger track the GT500 will overcome. I guess it will probably be quite a while before we find out - sometime in the spring maybe?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It’s more clever marketing from GM. THE 500 is easily worth $73k.

The C8 is being quoted with various price points and performance specs that are intermittently mismatched with the actual model you can buy.

0-60 times are one thing. Literally everything else? We know what time it is.

When the z06 comes out and is under 73k plus better performance... then we can talk. GM is betting on winning the speculation battle right now.

The base C8 is still a bargain. But it’s a bit of a Trojan horse. Let’s see what the worthwhile models cost and what they do.

Comparing cars like this is always interesting. On one hand you have a car that has 4 seats and is built to be an Amazing sports car around that concept. On the other hand, you have a two seat car that is built around that much smaller and lighter concept.

The fact that the 500 is being. Impaired to a different category of car - one that is in the same two seat company of Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. is testament to its greatness. And it isn’t even out yet.

GM has been in development hell with the mid engine vette for decades. Numerous attempts, delays, trips back to the drawing board, etc. finally we have something. And it seems to be good. How good? We don’t know yet. All we know is it has a good 0-60 time.

A couple important questions:

What compromises were made to get the base model so cheap?

Will the actual performance versions also be cheap? Or will they try to make up for dev costs with those models?

LOL

Saw the single lonely photo. Then your comment. About died.

the funny thing is that neither mid-engine layout, nor electric engines are novel. The mid engine Ford GT was whooping Ferrari’s in the 60s while GMs mid engine Corvair was falling over and endangering lives. it only took them 40 years, but GM has finally caught up to Fords 1960s tech.
And in that article, all you learn is that jaguar in 2019 is inspired by themselves. From the past.
Ford did all the same games you named. They did a silly HP reveal and no real numbers. You couldn't touch it at auto shows. They are letting media release performance.

Add GG tax, state tax, add backs, etc, you get to upper 70s.

When both are out, it will be known.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28414993/2020-chevrolet-corvette-mid-engine-all-season-tires/

The PP2 only needed one lap for you folks to consider it faster than the 1LE, so I expect the same for the C8 :D
There will be Corvette models that are faster than the GT500. Or at least I assume there will be. It might be a while before they are released. And you won't be able to get them for $60k.

It should be interesting to see what the actual MSRP will be of a C8 that is competitive with the GT500.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
There will be Corvette models that are faster than the GT500. Or at least I assume there will be. It might be a while before they are released. And you won't be able to get them for $60k.

It should be interesting to see what the actual MSRP will be of a C8 that is competitive with the GT500.
In 2021 it won't be $60k anymore I'd bet closer to $64k

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ford did all the same games you named. They did a silly HP reveal and no real numbers. You couldn't touch it at auto shows. They are letting media release performance.

Add GG tax, state tax, add backs, etc, you get to upper 70s.

When both are out, it will be known.
Incorrect. With Ford, you know what you’re getting for what price. they even gave ballpark performance figures.

with the Vette you don’t know what you have to spend to get something powerful.

there were no games with the 500. There was a reveal that timed to ensure they weren’t caught off guard by others. It worked.

The c8 then had an opportunity to do it’s own reveal. Instead, we were given a smokescreen with price vs model vs performance.

the one part I can agree with is that the truth will be known when the cars are out and tested by numerous parties at each price point.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
So you'll just have to spend the 68k or around there for the C8 Z51. Or if you want one that's faster right now you can pick up a C7 Z06 or ZR1. Of course the ZR1 is quite a bit more expensive but we all know there's some deals going around now for the Z06.

We already know - 60k.

there were no games with the 500.
Oh yeah, that jigsaw puzzle HP reveal was totally not a game... It's taken GM less time to reveal a whole new platform than it's taken Ford to reveal that they finally figured out how to put a supercharger on an S550

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It's taken GM less time to reveal a whole new platform than it's taken Ford to reveal that they finally figured out how to put a supercharger on an S550
Ford assigned the contract to Hennessy and he delivered in the timely fashion he was so well known for.
/Joke!!

C7 Z06 are now 15-20% off MSRP so circa 70-78K depending on trim.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Or if you want one that's faster right now you can pick up a C7 Z06 or ZR1.
Oh yeah? Can you link to some GT500 test results so I can compare against the C7 Z06? Thanks!

I mean, I'm __assuming__ since you said it so matter-of-factly, there must be some objective measures available for comparison.

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Just trying to keep it interesting :D

The GT500 is gonna be a beast, no doubt about it. But it faces some stiff competition.

Oh yeah? Can you link to some GT500 test results so I can compare against the C7 Z06? Thanks!
Well, you can buy and drive a C7 Z06 right now so I'd say it's infinitely faster than a GT500 at the moment

Given that you guys care mostly about the straight line acceleration, the GT500 is said to have 'mid 3 second' 0-60, right? At least, according to Ford's completely transparent and timely release of performance numbers.

From 2014:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/2015-corvette-z06-clocks-0-60-in-less-than-3-seconds/

Oh, and you can get a Z06 with a manual too :thumbsup:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just trying to keep it interesting :D

The GT500 is gonna be a beast, no doubt about it. But it faces some stiff competition.

Well, you can buy and drive a C7 Z06 right now so I'd say it's infinitely faster than a GT500 at the moment

Given that you guys care mostly about the straight line acceleration, the GT500 is said to have 'mid 3 second' 0-60, right? At least, according to Ford's completely transparent and timely release of performance numbers.

From 2014:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/2015-corvette-z06-clocks-0-60-in-less-than-3-seconds/

Oh, and you can get a Z06 with a manual too :thumbsup:
After spending several months daily driving a C5, I'm a little tired of the tight cabin. I'm planning to look at the seat brackets this weekend and see if I can fabricate something to get the seat down a little lower. It's weird - I drove my Porsche 944 today and it seemed positively roomy.

I also feel safer in the Porsche, even though it's smaller than the C5. The Porsche is built like a brick s*** house compared to the Corvette.

The C7 is a tighter fit than my C5. I hate having to slouch in order to fit in a car when wearing a helmet. I don't think even slouching would get me there in a C7.

I realize the numbers say that the Corvette has similar head room to a Mustang, but the Corvette is a poor design. The maximum headroom is too close to the steering wheel. If you move the seat away from the steering wheel to accommodate long legs and then lean the seat back, you have much less head room than in a Mustang.

Point being - the Mustang is a nice platform. And the performance is really close to the Corvette. Win win in my book. Most of us aren't out there racing for pinks - or racing period. So a tenth of a second here or there is somewhat meaningful, but isn't enough to change the buying decision by itself.