Sponsored

The new 7.3 V8 fits in the Mustang......

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
IDK - overall I think I liked the S197 better. At least the engine didn't have all the funky noises this one does lol.
No, the engine sounded quiet, but the transmission was straight trash. After two synchro replacements in 2 years, Ford gave me a new one. I traded the thing in before the new trans had a chance to start grinding. I would take an S550 of an S197 any day. My 08 would fall flat on its face once I was past the torque peak. The 18 pulls from 2k to 8k.
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
No, the engine sounded quiet, but the transmission was straight trash. After two synchro replacements in 2 years, Ford gave me a new one. I traded the thing in before the new trans had a chance to start grinding. I would take an S550 of an S197 any day. My 08 would fall flat on its face once I was past the torque peak. The 18 pulls from 2k to 8k.
I had an 11. It was quiet - no ticks. I never had issues with the trans but it was never raced hard.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I had an 11. It was quiet - no ticks. I never had issues with the trans but it was never raced hard.
You were lucky. It was a cold weather issue, which they put out a TSB for. Any time the temp outside was under 50F, it would grind going from 1st to 2nd. I was living in VA at the time, so every fall I was prepared to hear a grind. The second attempt to fix it actually left me with a trans that whined in every gear. I had to fight with the dealership to get a new trans.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You were lucky. It was a cold weather issue, which they put out a TSB for. Any time the temp outside was under 50F, it would grind going from 1st to 2nd. I was living in VA at the time, so every fall I was prepared to hear a grind. The second attempt to fix it actually left me with a trans that whined in every gear. I had to fight with the dealership to get a new trans.
I bought it used with 20k miles so there is a possibility the tsb was performed. I never had the grinding issue though.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
IDK - overall I think I liked the S197 better. At least the engine didn't have all the funky noises this one does lol.
And that's subjective. Everyone has their favorite things.

Which torque monsters are you referring to that you had? The 302 Windsor (guess based on your forum name)? I'd love to see most of these people griping about low end remove most of the sound deadening, remove most of the bushings from the suspension, and try a shorter rear axle gear, particularly the '18+ manual cars with the longer trans ratios. My bolt-on '15 makes 383 lb-ft to the wheels, and carries >300 lb-ft from 3000-7300 rpm, >350 lb-ft from 3500-6000 rpm. Fat & flat torque curve.

The reason for my above response is because 1) Much of it was responding to was factually incorrect and 2) illogical. If people think it's getting butthurt because I'm pointing out contradictory facts to their opinions and supporting arguments, welcome to the real world.

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that's subjective. Everyone has their favorite things.

Which torque monsters are you referring to that you had? The 302 Windsor (guess based on your forum name)?
While I did have 5 liter Mustangs from the 80's and 90's. I don't consider that a torque monster. I was referring to someone who may have had a big block car from the late 60's or early 70's.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
While I did have 5 liter Mustangs from the 80's and 90's. I don't consider that a torque monster. I was referring to someone who may have had a big block car from the late 60's or early 70's.
Fair enough. Not saying those don't have a lot of torque (they generally do), but the tires on those cars were generally pretty crap compared to even a modern AS, if tire roasting torque at low rpm is the metric.

Also...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...orsepower-ford-428-cobra-jet-really-make/amp/

365 hp and 452 lb-ft at the crank. Fantastic for the time and one to remember fondly. That said, my 15 Coyote makes, conservatively, 485 hp and 440 lb ft at the crank, with cats. Just sayin...

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough. Not saying those don't have a lot of torque (they generally do), but the tires on those cars were generally pretty crap compared to even a modern AS, if tire roasting torque at low rpm is the metric.

Also...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...orsepower-ford-428-cobra-jet-really-make/amp/

365 hp and 452 lb-ft at the crank. Fantastic for the time and one to remember fondly. That said, my 15 Coyote makes, conservatively, 485 hp and 440 lb ft at the crank, with cats. Just sayin...
The cars today make plenty of power - including the Mustang. But it would be nice to have like 1 more liter lol.

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
I'd like to see the 7.3 OHV go into a Boss special edition Mustang with an aluminum block tuned to 550 horsepower and 550 lb-ft of torque. It would be nice to see before V8's start to become less common.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
A year and a half ago I finished restoring a '66 Corvette 427 BB coupe. Speaking of old 60's BB technology....man I love the torque that somebitch lays down. When I hit 4000 rpm's I'm fully satisfied to go ahead and shift to the next gear. It's an experience similar to having a twin screw or roots blower on a mod motor only different. My blown/stroked '05 will smoke that Corvette, but the 427 just has a personality of it's own. Love that N/A torque.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
A year and a half ago I finished restoring a '66 Corvette 427 BB coupe. Speaking of old 60's BB technology....man I love the torque that somebitch lays down. When I hit 4000 rpm's I'm fully satisfied to go ahead and shift to the next gear. It's an experience similar to having a twin screw or roots blower on a mod motor only different. My blown/stroked '05 will smoke that Corvette, but the 427 just has a personality of it's own. Love that N/A torque.
This man get's it!
To get this feeling, you must bolt on a blower to a Coyote and hope and pray it stays together.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This man get's it!
To get this feeling, you must bolt on a blower to a Coyote and hope and pray it stays together.
There are hundreds of supercharged Coyotes that have no issue staying together.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
It's definitely a different experience with a N/A big block that's hard to explain. My '05 has 400 ft lbs torque right off idle and maxes out around 550 tq to the wheels 597hp. This car pulls hard from idle to redline at 7500 rpm's. My '15 is stock. That 427 Vette even sounds like it's ready for a shift at 4k. If I build another older car it will definitely get a big block because it's special for sure.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Uh...no, it's a pretty darn big deal to try and do that. The block construction is totally different aluminum vs iron. It'd be a massive investment to do that.
You’re wasting your time trying to explain to these day dreamers and know it alls. Save your breath. I was once in your shoes and got banned from this forum many times.