2022 Mustang GT

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
I mean outside of mustang and pony cars in general. You look at the market, if you want a V8 stick its just the mustang. Europe went auto only basically for their V8's, hell I think the only euro car I'm super interested in owning new would either be a 718 Cayman GTS4.0 or a 992 T (assuming money was no object). In terms of affordable FR sports cars there isn't a lot left standing which is sad. I can't see myself owning anything different for better or for worse.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/driving/5-new-sports-cars-gas-engine-manual-keep-faith/

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I mean outside of mustang and pony cars in general. You look at the market, if you want a V8 stick its just the mustang. Europe went auto only basically for their V8's, hell I think the only euro car I'm super interested in owning new would either be a 718 Cayman GTS4.0 or a 992 T (assuming money was no object). In terms of affordable FR sports cars there isn't a lot left standing which is sad. I can't see myself owning anything different for better or for worse.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/driving/5-new-sports-cars-gas-engine-manual-keep-faith/
Donā€™t forget about the CT5-V Blackwing. Also available in a manual and has a V8. Different kind of car than a Mustang, but yeah outside of those 2, thatā€™s it.

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Donā€™t forget about the CT5-V Blackwing. Also available in a manual and has a V8. Different kind of car than a Mustang, but yeah outside of those 2, thatā€™s it.
This is where I'll go elitist snob and say if it has 4 doors then it ain't no fr sports car lol
But yeah 2 choices don't make things feel much better.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This is where I'll go elitist snob and say if it has 4 doors then it ain't no fr sports car lol
But yeah 2 choices don't make things feel much better.
Oh for sure, I made sure to qualify it by saying theyā€™re totally different cars šŸ¤£. The Vā€™s are pretty incredible cars even if they have 4 doors though (my mom drives a CT4-V, Iā€™d love to drive a 5-V BW)

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue

Why is that I wonder? Europeans are usually quite snooty about Americans not knowing how to drive stick šŸ˜‚

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Why is that I wonder? Europeans are usually quite snooty about Americans not knowing how to drive stick šŸ˜‚
Italian here.
Yes we are, but I have to admit that 99.9% of manual transmission owner here are such because of budget constraints, not because they enjoy or know how to properly drive a car.
Beside a few enthusiast friend, I always despised having anyone other than me in the driving seat.

Also, in the last decade automatics have gone a very long way from 6 speed dumb boxes to 7-8-10 speed, very smooth in operation and incredibly fast.
Except a very simple small car, all of my family fleet (5 cars of which 3 Fords) all converted to auto in the last 3 years.
And I'm not going back.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The S550 V8 was always available with the manual here in Europe and the same will go for the S650, so I don't know why you think that isn't the case.

Here in the UK it was the Ecoboost that was dropped due to poor sales versus the V8, back in 2019.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
I think because post-2018 the manual has worse gearing and the European version has a too tall final ratio in the differential which makes the manual quite unpleasant, unless you buy a Mach 1.

Then again, I don't know if he was referring to European automakers (which have very few worth to buy cars and in the very near future will have none) or the Mustang.

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
Everything changes.

If you could show car manufacturers of the 1920s the 1960s, they be astonished. If you could show 1960s car makers what would happen in just ten years, they'd be scrambling to prepare. If you could show 1970s car makers what their market share would be in the 1990s, they'd panic.

I've been driving Mustangs for 48 years because I like them. They've been a lot of fun, affordable and relatively inexpensive to maintain.

Almost all of them have been manual gearboxes. Not because manuals are faster or more "sophisticated" (they aren't anymore.) I drive them because they are so fun and joyful to drive. I love getting up and down through the gears smoothly. I love hitting a precise rev-match on the way down. My daily commute (don't tell the day job) is the best part of the day.

An engine like the Coyote makes the whole package irresistible. I tested an Ecoboost Mustang, and it was a blast too. But the Coyote - just magnificent. Ford hit that one outta the park.

The next change is the reality that all domestic competition has (or is) dropping out. Just like the 1960s, that competition drove development as manufacturers competed for buyers. With that gone, it'll be interesting to see what Ford does to keep the Mustang relevant to buyers.

I'll probably buy one more Mustang in my lifetime. Provided I can avoid any serious physical limitations, It'll have a manual gearbox and as much engine under the hood as I can get my hands on. If it has to be a used one, then that's what it'll be. I bought my 2015 used, and has been terrific.

But everything changes. Less than 2% of buyers seek a manual gearbox. The handwriting is on the wall.

Sponsored

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
17 F5 Cobra, 93 Fox race car, 21 Mach 1, 23 F150
Interesting thought on the future of the Mustang.

The competition had always been a major factor in design and cost. Now that the competition is gone, what elements will drive the future design changes and setting price? I imagine price would be the maximum they believe the product will support with the desired sales level, instead of pricing against the competition. Design future... hmmm... of course there will always be the historical aspect... but also determined by what... buyer feedback? How do you determine whether to make it lighter / faster / meaner / skinnier / lower etc., etc., without any direct competition?

Just an interesting thought on what will drive the future of this beloved car.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ehhh...no screw the Mach E. It's garbage, with the same styling cues as a Nissan Juke. It's one of those CUV's, awful looking and completely incapable anywhere but pavement. For something that ugly, one would think they would built it so it could be hidden in a wood, so your friends and family don't have to see it when you inevitably drive it to Christmas dinner. Then again, you wouldn't want to hid it in a wood, because there are no power plugs, and it will need to charge while you are inside being lambasted by your family for driving a vacuum cleaner.

It's an absolute joke of a car, funded by subsidies instead of market demand, and has zero benefit to society.

And Farley's position COMPLETELY ignores that CAFE, and CARB, are changing how they measure emissions, which will spell the end of the V8 in it's present form. We aren't far from having GPF on all cars, despite knowing full well, removing the DPF on a diesel truck can net the driver 2-3 MPG difference. AND a straight pipe with a cat and muffler is not prone to failure like a particulate filter or DEF system.

Rant over. The Mach E sucks.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Ehhh...no screw the Mach E. It's garbage, with the same styling cues as a Nissan Juke. It's one of those CUV's, awful looking and completely incapable anywhere but pavement. For something that ugly, one would think they would built it so it could be hidden in a wood, so your friends and family don't have to see it when you inevitably drive it to Christmas dinner. Then again, you wouldn't want to hid it in a wood, because there are no power plugs, and it will need to charge while you are inside being lambasted by your family for driving a vacuum cleaner.

It's an absolute joke of a car, funded by subsidies instead of market demand, and has zero benefit to society.

And Farley's position COMPLETELY ignores that CAFE, and CARB, are changing how they measure emissions, which will spell the end of the V8 in it's present form. We aren't far from having GPF on all cars, despite knowing full well, removing the DPF on a diesel truck can net the driver 2-3 MPG difference. AND a straight pipe with a cat and muffler is not prone to failure like a particulate filter or DEF system.

Rant over. The Mach E sucks.
I can respect your position. I guess weā€™ll see about CAFE and CARB. Thereā€™s a few court cases out there that will determine if some of these alphabet agencies are going beyond their authority. And hopefully with mounting EV losses some of these manufacturers will finally start pushing back. I think an EV has its place as a niche vehicle and hopefully we can still have a V8 as we know it for a long time yet. I guess Iā€™m an eternal optimist

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I can respect your position. I guess weā€™ll see about CAFE and CARB. Thereā€™s a few court cases out there that will determine if some of these alphabet agencies are going beyond their authority. And hopefully with mounting EV losses some of these manufacturers will finally start pushing back. I think an EV has its place as a niche vehicle and hopefully we can still have a V8 as we know it for a long time yet. I guess Iā€™m an eternal optimist
Don't get me wrong. I am an optimist too. But with a half dozen close friends involved in R&D in Detroit between Ford, Dodge, Toyota and BOSCH, it's evident all car MFG's are chasing a political agenda, not a market driven agenda.

Prime example. I had a rental Rav4 last week. I merged onto the highway at 75 MPH, hit cruise, and it shifted 3 more times. Despite going the exact same speed. So then I had to look. It had an 8-speed. WTF? So I call my friend from Toyota and ask why. We make a gear for 10 MPH increments because we need to pass CAFE. That is the only reason it had an 8 speed. His words. And that Rav4 hunted for gears as well as a schnauzer hunts for elk. It sucked.

So I am an optimist, but I can see a lot of things not headed in our direction at the moment. And, like you, I certainly hope it changes!
Sponsored