FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium - Guard Metallic
With a auto I wouldn't get to do this!
I'm just happy that I was able to find an excuse to tell people why I haven't bought one....instead of having to admit I can't afford it. lol.

In all seriousness though...I was really disappointed to hear it would not have a manual option. I love the convenience of not having to pedal the car when it's my family SUV....but for the Mustang...I had to have the MT...I'll admit the real reason is I have control issues...but It is just WAY more satisfying to me to do what Brasky posted!

That being said...I'm not going to get on here and PUBLICLY bash someone who does get an automatic or even prefers one for that matter. ( I might take a screenshot of your post and send it to my friends...but I'm not a complete A-Hole.) ;-)
Sponsored

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just happy that I was able to find an excuse to tell people why I haven't bought one....instead of having to admit I can't afford it. lol.

In all seriousness though...I was really disappointed to hear it would not have a manual option. I love the convenience of not having to pedal the car when it's my family SUV....but for the Mustang...I had to have the MT...I'll admit the real reason is I have control issues...but It is just WAY more satisfying to me to do what Brasky posted!

That being said...I'm not going to get on here and PUBLICLY bash someone who does get an automatic or even prefers one for that matter. ( I might take a screenshot of your post and send it to my friends...but I'm not a complete A-Hole.) ;-)
I never bashed anyone for driving an auto! I just love to incorporate three motions into one. Even if I get tired of shifting or loosing to auto's, I still won't buy one because my wife "THE BOSS" would not allow an auto performance car!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not ever even once in their lifetime will a human being pull the shift paddle at exactly the correct time to optimize the shifting. Normally I would say it's close enough, but all the "manual transmissions suck" guys are already into measuring shift times down to fractions of a second. So I feel it's fair to say that unless you are using the DCT in fully automatic mode your lap times will suffer.
Those lap times would be less me and more somebody else (from a thousand miles or more away and at least a year ago). More like video-game design talent than driving talent.

For a task that I actually have some hope of being able to keep up with, without assistance, I'd only be fooling myself if I took credit for more than the smallest scrap of however much time I was able to shave off any personal-best lap time.

Norm

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I feel it fair to say that your assertion is pretty far from reality. Bottom line, the GT500 will be quicker with the DCT (manually shifted or otherwise) on the track than it would have been with a manual, such as the TR6060 for example.
So the fractions of seconds per shift gained with a DCT are firmly reality based, but the fractions of seconds gained by allowing the computer to shift are far from reality.

Got it.
Nice straw man! Get that too?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
So the fractions of seconds per shift gained with a DCT are firmly reality based, but the fractions of seconds gained by allowing the computer to shift are far from reality.

Got it.
Just look up the definition of the poster and you will figure it out real quickly that he lives in a different world than you and I reside in.

:sunglasses:

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
I never bashed anyone for driving an auto! I just love to incorporate three motions into one. Even if I get tired of shifting or loosing to auto's, I still won't buy one because my wife "THE BOSS" would not allow an auto performance car!
Lol... I didn’t mean to imply that you were bashing anyone. I was acknowledging the fact that some people have strong feelings about the topic. But note that I only said that I wouldn’t PUBLICLY bash someone for their opinion.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
shift times and timing of the shift are not the same. I assume you never had to calculate optimal shift points for acceleration either? its not always at peak rpm
Yes I understand what you are saying. The timing of the optimal shift in the RPM band isn't necessarily obvious.

No, I have not ever calculated optimal shift points for acceleration. I do understand that - given you aren't overpowering the tires - you want to maximize the torque at the wheels. I'm not a quarter mile guy, and for road courses I don't feel that making every shift at an optimal RPM is that important. Just like I don't think the absolute speed of every shift is a big deal for having fun at the road course as an amateur driver.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Just look up the definition of the poster and you will figure it out real quickly that he lives in a different world than you and I reside in.

:sunglasses:
In world you reside in, what does the "definition of the poster" mean?

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
We may all be on different sides of what we prefer, manual, auto, dct etc.

I feel we all can agree though, the manual is going to the way of extinction, if you look at industry trends.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo

I feel we all can agree though, the manual is going to the way of extinction, if you look at industry trends.
Yup. And next you (the driver) will be out of the picture as well. Instead of driving the car. The car will be driving the passenger!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Yes, there are quite a few forces in industry and government that seem to be moving towards getting rid of everything enjoyable that has to do with driving.

Heck, for some people completely getting rid of gasoline engines is a given! They even think cows need to be eliminated. Of course those people want to control every aspect of our lives. Some of them won't be happy until everyone lives in tiny boxes and uses mass or automated transportation.