Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

ehazel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Is your exhaust otherwise stock or are you running a resonator delete?
I got mine all installed and wired up this weekend, I have a steeda x pipe.

I had my xpipe before the active so I wont be a good judge of a resonated active setup. Without the ability to install active I would have ended up switching back to the stock resonator or an H pipe. Active is a godsend allowing quieter than stock WITH the X pipe and absolutely insane in track.

At low speeds/ stopngo all but the quiet mode sound basically the same and are pretty loud. Once moving and at higher revs there is a very noticeable difference between the modes.

Quiet mode on a cold start is raspy and a little louder than with the non active mufflers/stock resonator. (I would say it passes the neighbor test, Stock with the X does not) Once up to temp and moving it is very quiet even with the X. I set the Quiet mode start to 12am-12am so It defaults to Quiet mode all of the time. I only switch out if I want to be a little rowdy.

Normal mode with the X pipe is about the same (at speed/revs) between the active and non active mufflers, active being slightly louder.

These two(Sport,track) are both very loud with slight differences in burble, and pops on upshifts/downshifts. (not a huge difference between)
Sport: Very loud but somewhat refined.
Track: Basically racecar.
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Finally finished everything. Ended up soldering the wires I pulled to the connector that splits to the actuators. Had to do a little bit of creative work, trying to figure out how the three factory wires want to be routed to the exhaust. Everything works beautifully, active exhaust is awesome! Thanks to all the great people on this forum for doing the hard work and figuring it all out!
Is there a way to pin them in instead of soldering?

gatormark91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A Velocity Blue
For the record - 19 GT Premium, 401A. Only additional options are 20 inch rims and A10. I have a plug on mine.

In one of the first posts, someone indicated they got the mufflers for way less than I am seeing them for anywhere:
Step 1: Order the Mufflers (and other parts)

Go to your local dealer and order:
JR3Z-5230-FA
JR3Z-5230-FB
They said they got them for ~$185 each? Best I am seeing is a couple dollars over $400 EACH. Have the prices gone up, or is there still a way to find them at $185?

Thanks!

ehazel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For the record - 19 GT Premium, 401A. Only additional options are 20 inch rims and A10. I have a plug on mine.

In one of the first posts, someone indicated they got the mufflers for way less than I am seeing them for anywhere:
Step 1: Order the Mufflers (and other parts)

Go to your local dealer and order:
JR3Z-5230-FA
JR3Z-5230-FB
They said they got them for ~$185 each? Best I am seeing is a couple dollars over $400 EACH. Have the prices gone up, or is there still a way to find them at $185?

Thanks!
I got mine about a week ago from a local dealer for about 235 each, I was able to find them for 185 but the shipping estimate was crazy($100-200) so I ordered them to my local dealer via fords parts website. I did just check again and they are showing $554 each, that is crazy.

My goal was to make a proper extension harness but I was not successful sourcing the pins up front and correct rear connector. I ended up T tapping the front leads right in front of the connector and I found some waterproof spade connectors for the rear. (I cut the connector off of the Y harness and replaced each wire with a spade.)

gatormark91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got mine about a week ago from a local dealer for about 235 each, I was able to find them for 185 but the shipping estimate was crazy($100-200) so I ordered them to my local dealer via fords parts website. I did just check again and they are showing $554 each, that is crazy.

My goal was to make a proper extension harness but I was not successful sourcing the pins up front and correct rear connector. I ended up T tapping the front leads right in front of the connector and I found some waterproof spade connectors for the rear. (I cut the connector off of the Y harness and replaced each wire with a spade.)
From the diagram, it looks like they changed the part numbers around a bit. 5230A looks to be BOTH mufflers ($557.10 MSRP, with free shipping). 5230B and 5230C are left/right, but they come up at the same price. I'm thinking it's an error in their system?
exhaust.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Or they caught on that people were adding them...

I guess that guarantees that Ford monitors this site. :bandit:

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Is your exhaust otherwise stock or are you running a resonator delete?
Yep, stock.

Can be pinned, but need a picture of the stock plug. It has the part # for the Molex connector. Can get them via Digikey or similar site. I found the other side this way, but we get it with the harness anyway. Can probably find it, but have to spend some time researching what it should be. Picture would be quick.

Last edited:

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey guys so I checked my 2018 Base GT with 301A and I think I have the plug. Is this it? If so, what else do I need besides the mufflers if I have the plug to get this done? thanks
20190121_020243.jpg

gatormark91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys so I checked my 2018 Base GT with 301A and I think I have the plug. Is this it? If so, what else do I need besides the mufflers if I have the plug to get this done? thanks
20190121_020243.jpg
No, you don't have the plug. Sorry.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Sorry I've been missing from this thread for a while. Been working on (and still working on) some home projects that have prevented me from continuing to chase this down. I have everything I need to install mine, except for the harness. I've thought about tossing some tap in connectors, but I'd much rather pin into the harnesses and run the wires that way.

I was working with someone from one of the S550 FB groups but communication has kind of died out on that and that's as much my fault as anything. I need to pull together all of the info I have as one package and give it back to him again to see if he can make us a harness.

For that chart;
I'm a PP1 401a Car (so Digital Dash) but no factory sub or magride. Car's a manual.

Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Or they caught on that people were adding them...

I guess that guarantees that Ford monitors this site. :bandit:
Just so you guys are aware Ford does NOT raise prices simply because a bunch of people start buying a particular number. The parts offered for service replacement are priced based on the purchasing department inside Ford and the cost they incur from the suppliers. The part numbers for AEV have changed and the JR3Z-5230-FA and FB have been discontinued, the new numbers are all KR3Z-5230-XX (I don't have the latest supersession info yet) @Chris@HBH can explain in more detail as he works for Ford in dealer ops.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you guys are aware Ford does NOT raise prices simply because a bunch of people start buying a particular number. The parts offered for service replacement are priced based on the purchasing department inside Ford and the cost they incur from the suppliers. The part numbers for AEV have changed and the JR3Z-5230-FA and FB have been discontinued, the new numbers are all KR3Z-5230-XX (I don't have the latest supersession info yet) @Chris@HBH can explain in more detail as he works for Ford in dealer ops.
Superseded part number sometimes denotes a new supplier. New supplier may charge more.

I suspect that the OEM vendor is asked to make the production parts and also an excess for spares so dealers have access shortly after the cars are made. These will have the highest volume and best price. As the excess inventory is used up a secondary source may be found and with lower volumes comes higher prices.

Or Ford finds out the parts are bolt-on and cost less that ordering the option and jack the prices. :shock: :bandit:

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
From the diagram, it looks like they changed the part numbers around a bit. 5230A looks to be BOTH mufflers ($557.10 MSRP, with free shipping). 5230B and 5230C are left/right, but they come up at the same price. I'm thinking it's an error in their system?
exhaust.JPG
Where can I get this diagram for the EB? Mine has the plug and I’m interested to do the mod this summer.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
These just came in today! Picked them up with the harnes for, get this... $100 SHIPPED!! As soon as I buy a laptop for Forscan, they’ll go on the car!

Quick question regarding Forscan... I saw on the Forscan thread that they use either Bluetooth or WiFi connected OBDII connectors. Does anyone here know if the hardwired OBDII-HDMI from my SCT X4 or if an OBDII-USB would work the same?
9390A265-988A-4A2C-9709-D56B1B2F3042.jpeg

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT – 6MT, 401A
As soon as I buy a laptop for Forscan, they’ll go on the car![/ATTACH]
Pro tip: you can buy a Microsoft Surface from Best Buy, use it, and then return it. That's what I did to change my settings.

(The idea was actually suggested to me by the Best Buy employee when I explained why I needed the Surface.)
Sponsored