Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Catback or axleback? If it's an axleback there is absolutely no way it is the cause of a tick coming from the engine area. I would have laughed in their face.
Sponsored

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Power Pack 2
It's a catback, it's an AWE switchpath with a valve in the H-pipe. They think the valve is rattling and that's causing the noise I'm hearing. It probably is a bit, but it's a very different noise to what I'm hearing from what seems like the engine. Switching the exhaust for a stock one will tell one way or the other!

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It's a catback, it's an AWE switchpath with a valve in the H-pipe. They think the valve is rattling and that's causing the noise I'm hearing. It probably is a bit, but it's a very different noise to what I'm hearing from what seems like the engine. Switching the exhaust for a stock one will tell one way or the other!
Did they determine that with a stethoscope?

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Power Pack 2
Did they determine that with a stethoscope?
With "chassis ears" apparently. That said, same set of chassis ears told them it was my rear axle thrust washers on their first attempt, so I'm not convinced.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So for all that have the bbq tick couldn't we band together and put in enough complaints to the NHTSA that Ford would have to issue a TSB?

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

*Just a thought*
The NHTSA isn't going to mandate anything unless it's a safety issue. So if it was determined that the BBQ Tick caused rods to seize and go through the side of the block and cause a fire or crash the NHTSA can't do much to force Ford to do anything.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
Quick follow up from my situation, a potential unwitting additional Liqui Moly Ceratec beta-tester..... so far, so good, the tick hasn't returned that I can hear and everything else is as normal. Yesterday in an attempt to listen closer I started the car, then laid next to the drivers side front tire listening closely. Before the additive, and after my first oil change, I would *always* be able to hear the infamous tick doing this, albeit intermittently and only until oil got up to temp. This time after approx. 5 minutes I gave up, the tick wasn't detectable to my ears as it was before and the thing just purred like the day I signed on the dotted line...

Some side notes, I'm running Royal Purple 5W20 and a Ford Racing M-6731-FL820 HD filter (much larger than the factory filter, verified here and by calling Ford Racing that it fits, and indeed it does!). After dumping in the Ceratec I thought my oil may change color a bit, but so far it hasn't really (always has a slightly purple hue). So that's a little interesting... When I change the oil (it's got 600ish miles on it, so gonna be a while) I plan to do a Blackstone UOA out of curiosity, but at this point I doubt it will be all that useful.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Figured I would follow up as well in case people aren't looking at the other active thread on this...

Dealer changed my oil today - tick came back as expected in the 1500-2000 rpm range under light throttle.
Drove home to let oil heat up fully and dumped half a bottle of Liqui Moly Ceratec in then went for a drive. Ticking is gone. Can't even force it to tick now in the right RPM range.
Tin foil hat on - I don't care what anyone else says... but it's clear Ford put an additive in from the factory, or used a high moly oil. To me this is the only logical explanation of why it started after first oil change - the factory filter was a bit different too...

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Hi,

I got a Mustang GT performance package about 2 weeks ago.

I didnt pay attention initially but since the past 2 days I have heard a "tick" form the front passenger side ONLY when I cold start in the morning. Lasts for about 2 minutes. It does NOT happen when when the car is warmed up. I also cant hear it when i rev up the engine.

I have read most of the forum and does the Tick mean that I am screwed? I plan to take the car to a dealership in the next 3-4 days but I am sure they wont find any thing as the car will be warmed up and the noise probably gone.

Would appreciate some in input.

Thanks

Adam

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I got a Mustang GT performance package about 2 weeks ago.

I didnt pay attention initially but since the past 2 days I have heard a "tick" form the front passenger side ONLY when I cold start in the morning. Lasts for about 2 minutes. It does NOT happen when when the car is warmed up. I also cant hear it when i rev up the engine.

I have read most of the forum and does the Tick mean that I am screwed? I plan to take the car to a dealership in the next 3-4 days but I am sure they wont find any thing as the car will be warmed up and the noise probably gone.

Would appreciate some in input.

Thanks

Adam
Are you having any driveability issues? Excessive oil consumption? Do you happen to have a video you could post?

Take it to the dealer and see if you can get it documented. Since it only happens on cold start, you'll probably have to leave the car with them... I'd almost lean towards DI pump on cold start, as the BBQ tick usually only occurs once the engine is warm.

@TheLion has also compiled an excellent list of all of us with the tick, our symptoms, whether there were any driveability issues, CEL, etc. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-another-attempt-to-understand.108944/#post-2331546

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Are you having any driveability issues? Excessive oil consumption? Do you happen to have a video you could post?

Take it to the dealer and see if you can get it documented. Since it only happens on cold start, you'll probably have to leave the car with them... I'd almost lean towards DI pump on cold start, as the BBQ tick usually only occurs once the engine is warm.

@TheLion has also compiled an excellent list of all of us with the tick, our symptoms, whether there were any driveability issues, CEL, etc. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-another-attempt-to-understand.108944/#post-2331546

Thank You for the reply.

I have NOT noted any issues during driving. I cant say anything about the oil consumption as I only have 500 miles on it.

I cant hear it when I rev the car up. I will try to make a video of it and post it. Hopefully my engine is not a waste as so many other people have posted on you tube.

There are multiple you tube videos where people had the issue with there second motor?! lets see what mine turn up as. Thanks

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
another cera tec trial so far so good. was running mobil 1 5-20 w their filter, switched to the mc 5-20 semi and mc filter, decided to put in whole bottle as it treats 5qts. intial start up was a bit noisier than usual however that could just be from the initial lack of oil pressure anyways let it warm up had the wife rev it a bit to the normal range it ticks and nothing. took it for a drive and still couldnt hear anything. hoping the stuff works with no issues.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ I think everyone who has tried Cera Tec reports back that it cured the BBQ Tick. Like a sliver bullet to a werewolf.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Ester's together with POA's rule! Take a look at my posts on these other threads about a new theory and some other possible solutions. In my experience it's always a good idea to fully understand WHY a solution works instead of just leaning on the fact that it DOES work. There may be other ways to accomplish the same results with less cost or possibly other benefits. At the present time I'm leaning more on the possible solution being Ester or POA Group V base stock oil's used as the primary carrier of the nBN nano ceramic particles as the primary reason for the elimination in the noise rather than the nBN itself.

If that's true, then you could POSSIBLY buy 1 quart of a high end 5W-20 or even 5W-30 Ester or POA Group V oil, mix in 1/2 a quart or 1 quart of that Group V with every oil change of your off the shelf "fully synthetic" to achieve the same results.

The Joe Gibbs oil reps (aka Driven Racing Oil) told one of the BBQ Tick OP's on my "list" they believed it was more the oil additive packages that was the issue rather than over all viscosity. The rep was one of the few vendors who knew of the Ford V8 ticking (occurs on the 5.0 Gas, 6.2 Gas and 6.7 Diesel). So in this case it could be the additive package or base stocks used in the current formulas and how they flow.

Many off the shelf "full synthetics" are Group III base stocks with a proprietary additive package and some higher tier Group IV or even Group V base stocks mixed in (usually small percentage like 5% of a Group V Ester or POA might be mixed with mostly Group III base stock for an over all enhanced Group III).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt-tick.108931/page-2

More and more racing engines are turning to thinner viscosity to improve fuel economy and power to the wheels. They simply have lower pumping losses. The down side is preventing them from thinning out too much during use. Obviously higher viscosity oils (to a point) at the same temperature and same clearances do provide better protection because they resist over thinning at the upper end of the operating temp range.

Now if hBN provides enough increase in thermal conductivity and enough reduction in friction it may lower your peak oil temps and your average oil temps. Better heat transfer with less waste heat. I've seen a few reports of decreased oil temps in Auto X cars etc. So we'll see if there's any notable difference, but sounds like I need to do some data logging next time I flog it so I have something to compare...
Sponsored