Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I shimmed my auto tranny x- member yesterday with a 1/4" shim & it worked for me. Here's some info: if you do this do 1 bolt at a time. To get a 1/4 inch shim in you will have to loosen the other bolts like halfway. Once the 1st one goes in the rest slide in easily! The Factory bolts re torque to 85-ft lbs! Now go get some!
Sponsored

Last edited:

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Keep us up to date

Nothing yet, however I'm tempted to go back to the dealer and see if I can get a new diff put in. It might not fix this issue, but maybe it'll fix the hilariously bad gear lash I have.
How did you determine what your lash was?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Even if your weary about shimming your tranny at least measure your angles to see if they're off!!!

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
So my vib starts around 50 and is at it's worst at 58-60. What I feel is in the wheel. The last visit to the dealer showed a diff DS made is worse. They put mine back in and RF bal the tires. When i took to them I had no vib in the wheel and now I feel most of it there. If i could get it out of the wheel I don't think I would feel it at all. Any suggestions????

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

Sponsored

EdwardJoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ford GT
Has anyone had any success here with the re-purchase of the vehicles or lemon law approach? Engineer informed me that the vibration that is so rough and vibrates all the knobs is perfectly normal. I will begin my lemon law process and didn't know if anyone has gone through the process?

Driveshaft has been replaced on 3 occasions and has been in dealer for more than 20 days at a time x 3. The dealer themselves actually told us to file lemon law.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had any success here with the re-purchase of the vehicles or lemon law approach? Engineer informed me that the vibration that is so rough and vibrates all the knobs is perfectly normal. I will begin my lemon law process and didn't know if anyone has gone through the process?

Driveshaft has been replaced on 3 occasions and has been in dealer for more than 20 days at a time x 3. The dealer themselves actually told us to file lemon law.
Trade it in for a scat pack challenger!!

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Trade it in for a scat pack challenger!!
Hahaha, I was over at Challengertalk.com and 3 different guys have said they either traded their Mustang or didn't buy one because of this problem/thread. I just don't understand how Ford can't have this problem fixed yet.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Im gonna stick with my stang. I looked at the challenger and I couldn't get over how enormous the car is, i mean its a frigging boat! The zl1 camaro is the only camaro that looks good to me, but you still cant see out of it.. so I'm staying with Ford despite their short comings with the mustang!

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Cobra are your vibes harmonic? Do they come and go in waves while your at the crucial speed/s? Can you drive through it? Sorry if already stated. My Jeep had this and it was my pinion angle.
Used to be able to "drive through it" after 70mph, but can't do it anymore. The vibration is really bad this time around. It's like I'm driving with square tires, like literally square tires - no joke.

I wish the vibe was harmonious - LMFAO (kidding of course, as I do know the term harmonic). Maybe Ford should supply Professional Harmonica Players with every new Mustang - it would shift the driver into a better mindset instead of being plagued with the driveline harmonics.... :D:lol:

Honestly folks - I have more repair paperwork for this G'D POS S550 Mustang than I do for my 23yr old Mustang Cobra, which has NEVER had any drivetrain issues in 143k miles, let alone the other S550 Quality Control issues I've had to deal with in only 23k miles of "new car" S550 ownership!! I mean really, WTF Ford?!?

And what really pisses me off as well as other S550 owners having to deal with this on brand new S550's is the fact that Ford and the Ford S550 Engineering Team fully knew of the driveline issue prior to releasing the S550, as it was well documented in the documentary "A Faster Horse". But hell, here we are almost ready for the release of the 2018's and Ford can only come up with wrapping hose clamps around the driveshaft OR telling owners "ah, it's normal - thanks for your $30k, $40k, and $50k+, carry on and leave us alone now".

I don't know if any of you go on any other sites - but this issue is now being documented by S550 owners over on the NHTSA website.

BTW:
1) The trans mount shimming will NOT make any difference if the differential internals are bad..
2) The Ford SSM on hose clamping the driveshaft will not make any difference if the rear diff is bad...
3) Clocking the DS, replacing flanges or replacing DS with new factory or aftermarket DS will not make any difference if rear diff is bad...
4) Trying to get Ford to own up to the inherent issue that whomever assembles their rear diffs does not know proper assembly tolerances OR that possibly their Vendor is supplying inferior POS parts is like trying to raise the Titanic and sailing it again....

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's the scans I promised to include from my Dealer Service Center work orders from my last visit on 04/24 and the diagnosis. Take note of the harmonics Hz measurement... and my vehicle has already had the prior work done (and extensively documented previously in this thread) due to the ongoing driveline vibe:

1) front trans flange and rear diff flange replaced
2) driveshaft replaced
3) multiple prior tire rotations and "road force balances" on the original P-Zeros
4) driveshaft clocked numerous times
5) Ford SSM hose clamps attached
6) use of the vibe analyzer multiple times on past visits
7) Servicing Dealer brought another brand new EB PP to their lot to compare and confirm that my EB PP had definitive driveline issues

Also, I replaced the Pirelli P-Zeros at only 18k miles in Jan. 2017 with a brand new set of BFG G-FORCE™ COMP-2™ A/S tires (nearly $1k out of my own pocket)....the issue is NOT tire related and I also had the car aligned too...
IMG_5302.jpg
IMG_5303.jpg

Last edited:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I have been told from someone at Ford at a local track event, that the vibration issues may steam more from center support bearings than anything else.

Take that for what it is worth, but I see alot of other parts being thrown at this with little change.

I would caution the continual referencing of A Faster Horse as "well documented" evidence of this issue. The fact is we truly have no idea of the complete context of what that discussion was.

Posting dealer service notes however is great for the community. Your dealer has been very thorough and that will help any here trying to stick it out.

Bringing up a 20 year Cobra is also disingenuous, by that time the fox body had more than 5x the amount of market time that the S550 has enjoyed. That a whole lotta time to fix shit like this.

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I'm seeing two problems here , ( A ) Factory drive shaft vibration .. ( B ) aftermarket drive shaft vibration .. Kelly seems to have a fix for the one piece drive shaft but I'm pretty sure that will not work for the factory two piece drive shaft ..

Mine had zero vibration until I added the bushing locks outs and cradle lock out .. I needed them because I drag race the car and these parts really work for that ( 1.41 60 foot times )

I can't see where shimming the rear trans mount would do anything at all with the stock two piece drive shaft since it's a only going to change the angle from the rear of the trans to the carrier bearing , and will not have affect on the rear half of the drive shaft or pinion angle..

So has anybody really fixed the vibration on a two piece drive shaft ? From reading all these pages I have not seen a fix or a true cause of the problem... Like stated above my car had zero vibration and after the lock out kit the car vibrates from 45 to 70+ , so in my case these mods caused a vibration..

So when we talk about this problem please make sure to tell us if you have a one or two piece drive shaft to just keep things clear.. Like I said Kelly seems to have the fix for the one piece drive shaft vibration but we have no fix for the two piece drive shaft vibration ..

As for axles I have both stock and 800 hp DSS axles and still have the vibration , so I don't feel axles are the problem .. As for the rear end I burned up my track lock unit and replaced it with a low mile third member and still have the vibration .. So I'm ruling out the carrier as the problem .. I also checked the TQ on the axle nut as outlined by Kelly in another thread .. That was not the problem either ..

So if you have a fix please post it up , if it's just guess work don't ..
Sponsored

Last edited: