Need advice: EB PP vs GT PP

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
All I can say is that I have not seen one post that person sold thier GT for an Ecoboost, but plenty that traded their Ecoboots for GTs.
[MENTION=17260]5.0yote[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16301]jjsotolongo[/MENTION] are two members here that switched from GTs to EBs.
Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
All I can say is that I have not seen one post that person sold thier GT for an Ecoboost, but plenty that traded their Ecoboots for GTs.
You say this in every thread like it somehow negates the positive qualities of the EB. Let it go.

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Ok 2, no one responded to the thread I started on it.
I did not respond because I am not sure what the end goal of the thread is, still do not. What is the difference if I or anyone sold/traded a GT for an EBM if YOU are trying to decide what to buy, we are not you, I do not know your budget, driving habits, insurance rates, or plans on use of the car (weekend cruiser, DD, etc.)

I traded my GT in because of two reasons,

1. The first year build quality issues. I had like 5 issues, hood, hood latch, trunk all mis-aligned and rubbing the paint off, and hard to open the hood. All of which took the dealer 3 days of my time and still never quite fixed any of it. Marker lights falling out. Puddle lights falling out, and fog lights with constant water fogging up, bumper gaps so wide you can see the retaining clips on the support bracket from 6 feet away. All never rectified.

2. I commute and as awesome the 5.0 is, in a manual and driving through Boston every day in stop and go traffic, much of it inclined, was not fun and I used more gas than I would have liked.

The 16 EBM is lighter and easier to drive as a daily commuter car. The only thing I think it needs is bigger front brakes even on the non PP model. I still have a couple of carry over quirks like the fog lights, and one puddle light. The factory still cannot manage to properly align body panels. So I did it myself.

MY particular EBM makes the same if not a little more than my GT did with its current build, it does not sound like the V8, its not a V8 so I am no so hung up on it. It still gets plenty of attention, and for some reason everyone wants to race me on the highway which is funny shit.

As far as the comments on people modding to make GT power goes, I mod my cars to mod my car, not to make it into another car =). Otherwise I would either by the other car or actually do a power plant trans plant =) I mod as that is my hobby, I mean look at my youtube channel if you have any question if I love doing what I do, FFS I did an auto to manual swap in an 11 V6 vert, fully custom painted it, full customer leather interior, and did the go to mods on the motor, rear end etc and that was a V6 vert, and it was very nice when it was sold =) For me its a project. I had over 23 grand in that vert, I put maybe $1500 into my GT before selling it, and I have like 7 grand into my EBM right now so its not about making it something it isn't. Its about having fun and something to do =)

For me right now the 37 MPG highway and 405HP fits my needs =) and its a super fun and great looking car. I had no regrets trading with the exception of the exhaust note of my GT was wicked with the outlaws =P but the neighbors hated me. Not they get to hate me a little less with my custom setup on the I4....

Buy what you like. Lets not make a federal case out of something so simple.

Last edited:

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
I don't get the humiliation aspect of having a 4-banger turbo mustang. Anyone that I know that actually has a fast car never said anything bad about my car. It's the ppl with slow cars and trucks that have said anything negative about my EBM. And their opinion means little to nothing anyway.
Then about being worried about a GT or some other V8 at a light? Nope. A highway roll thou I wouldn't bother. Going to my local drag strip (1/8 mile) and seeing what the casual racer is doing, showed me that there is a big difference between a car's potential and what the driver can actually do with it. I saw s550 GT's running about the same time as me. I was surprised at first, but most just do an axle or cat-back and that's it. Also only race once in a while like me. There are so many variables.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get the humiliation aspect of having a 4-banger turbo mustang. Anyone that I know that actually has a fast car never said anything bad about my car. It's the ppl with slow cars and trucks that have said anything negative about my EBM. And their opinion means little to nothing anyway.
Then about being worried about a GT or some other V8 at a light? Nope. A highway roll thou I wouldn't bother. Going to my local drag strip (1/8 mile) and seeing what the casual racer is doing, showed me that there is a big difference between a car's potential and what the driver can actually do with it. I saw s550 GT's running about the same time as me. I was surprised at first, but most just do an axle or cat-back and that's it. Also only race once in a while like me. There are so many variables.
I understand there is a few elitist who just do not really know the history of the 2.3I4 and that is ok, it is not a purist thing, as there were also strait and v6 models, its just an immature thing, I had one guy at a car show back when I had my vert, which he said he liked but he made a statement like "the big boys" towards the 5.0 owners or nothing at all. 3 years later he does not say those things after seeing my EBM. No one who has ridden or driven the "Banana" has had anything bad to say and to be honest have been surprised by it more than anything. (That includes when it was just tuned)

I read all the youtube comments, and generally most Mustang sites are ok, the problem will be for the small numbers whos heads would literally explode if Ford was ever to remove the V8 from the lineup. Who knows if that would happen, look at the Rapter and many of the trucks now =P

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
Hey Kronos,

How about something completely unique?

Buy a base model V6 and swap out the 3.7L with a 2017 twin-turbo, high-output 3.5L Raptor EcoBoost, rumored at 450+ HP.

Let’s see;

GT premium PP = $40,540 MSRP
V6 base = $24,645 MSRP
$40,540 - $24,645 = $15,895 in the budget for the crate engine swap.

The standard 3.5L EcoBoost crate motor is under $10K, but what’s the Raptor $$$ adder ???

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I understand there is a few elitist who just do not really know the history of the 2.3I4 and that is ok, it is not a purist thing, as there were also strait and v6 models, its just an immature thing, I had one guy at a car show back when I had my vert, which he said he liked but he made a statement like "the big boys" towards the 5.0 owners or nothing at all. 3 years later he does not say those things after seeing my EBM. No one who has ridden or driven the "Banana" has had anything bad to say and to be honest have been surprised by it more than anything. (That includes when it was just tuned)

I read all the youtube comments, and generally most Mustang sites are ok, the problem will be for the small numbers whos heads would literally explode if Ford was ever to remove the V8 from the lineup. Who knows if that would happen, look at the Rapter and many of the trucks now =P
I've watched a few of your videos (I may have even subbed, don't remember), I would love to check out your car if I ever run into you since its a small state :D

OP
OP
proj_vulpix

proj_vulpix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I did not respond because I am not sure what the end goal of the thread is, still do not. What is the difference if I or anyone sold/traded a GT for an EBM if YOU are trying to decide what to buy, we are not you, I do not know your budget, driving habits, insurance rates, or plans on use of the car (weekend cruiser, DD, etc.)
I explained this already in the first two pages...I want to be different, i am going to mod, i will drive this car if not every other day then on the weekends including some AC.

I traded my GT in because of two reasons,

1. The first year build quality issues. I had like 5 issues, hood, hood latch, trunk all mis-aligned and rubbing the paint off, and hard to open the hood. All of which took the dealer 3 days of my time and still never quite fixed any of it. Marker lights falling out. Puddle lights falling out, and fog lights with constant water fogging up, bumper gaps so wide you can see the retaining clips on the support bracket from 6 feet away. All never rectified.

2. I commute and as awesome the 5.0 is, in a manual and driving through Boston every day in stop and go traffic, much of it inclined, was not fun and I used more gas than I would have liked.

For me right now the 37 MPG highway and 405HP I had no regrets trading with the exception of the exhaust note of my GT
This is what I am looking for valid information.

Buy what you like. Lets not make a federal case out of something so simple.
Not snobby things like this..obviously im going to make up my mind and buy what I LIKE, just wanted input on what people thought of the cars and why.

Jeez why is that so effing hard for some people to understand? :frusty:

OP
OP
proj_vulpix

proj_vulpix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Hey Kronos,

Buy a base model V6 and swap out the 3.7L with a 2017 twin-turbo, high-output 3.5L Raptor EcoBoost, rumored at 450+ HP.

Let’s see;

V6 base = $24,645 MSRP

The standard 3.5L EcoBoost crate motor is under $10K, but what’s the Raptor $$$ adder ???
haha its funny you say this cause i mentioned this to my friend the other day! it would definitely be something unseen.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Hey Kronos,

Let’s see;

V6 base = $24,645 MSRP

while I would love to see this done, I do have some issues with your numbers.
Since a V6 Has no premium features it is only fair to compare it with a base GT which is $32,645 Giving you ~$8k in mod money meaning it wouldn't be possible to do the swap at below GT price with new parts.

The conversion people are doing using 3.5 ecoboost turbos on the 3.7 look like the least expensive path to big V6 Power. He'll you might be able to squeeze a built engine into that budget!

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
Glenn G,

You are correct Sir, but I didn't intend it to be an exacting to the penny analysis rather just a thought for another path to consider. Kronos mentioned earlier in the thread about increasing the turbo boost (installing larger turbocharger) on a to be purchased ecoboost mustang...
Sponsored