Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are in for a big surprise with GM's next halo car.. guess what, it won't be a Z/28. This particular model is a track focus monster that is affordable since GM is battling the sales issue..

Ladies and Gents, GM presents to you... the...

2.0T 1LE
:eyebulge: :lol::lol::lol:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
For The Last Generation You Are Right as neither of them were track cars. For The Current Generation The zl1 Is A Legitimate Track car. Your argument makes no sense. The gt500 was never marketed As a track car it was meant as a high hp drag strip car. The boss 302 was the track car. That is why they didn't compare the z28 to the gt500, different animals.

Idk why you are upset, Chevy created a well rounded vehicle that is great at the strip and the track. It competes against both the R and the Hellcat. It will not compete against the demon. This will only cause Ford to respond and that is a great thing.
They did compare the Gen 5 ZL1 to the Boss 302...

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...l1-vs-2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca/

They'll compare anything that is remotely similar in the same segment.

richtor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Hopefully soon, Ford decides to join the HiPo party.
Unlike gm which simply rebadges a bad car with more power and sticky tires Ford is working on theirs which takes years.

The ZL1 is going to put an absolutely hurting on a non R. Like badly.
Until you hit the 2nd lap, then the 3rd then the...Yes you're right hero laps reported by gm will be seconds between them.

Scruffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
i give you credit for trying, if people don't understand why you cant compare a gt350 to a zl1 they are justhttp://www.mustang6g.com/forums/images/smilies/crazy.gif
Many car buyers will compare the GT350 to the Zl1 because they are high performance road cars in the same price range. It has nothing to do with whether NA and FI are different breeds. It's called competition in the market place, no matter what Mustang fans think. I own a Mustang and think it's a great car. Camaro looks are subjective and I think their interior is puke ugly. I wouldn't buy one, but that doesn't mean the ZL1 and 350 don't compete in the market place. In the long run that's all that really matters.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Silverado 1le
Volt 1le
Spark 1le
They should ditch the 1's for these ones and just go with:
Silveradole
Voltle and
Sparkle

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Unlike gm which simply rebadges a bad car with more power and sticky tires Ford is working on theirs which takes years.

Until you hit the 2nd lap, then the 3rd then the...Yes you're right hero laps reported by gm will be seconds between them.
You mean like the GT500 who was neck and neck with the ZL1 and then started falling behind in successive laps?

Sorry, both sides do the same tricks and report the best possible outcome and times.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Ford's doing about the same with the Mustang.

SS = GT
SS 1LE = GTPP
ZL1 = GT350
ZL1 1LE = GT350R
Z28 = next halo mustang? (GT500, Mach 1, whatever)
However, his comment was in the context of sales, i.e., why keep diversifying the line, adding complexity and cost to the manufacturing process, confusing the buyer, when the model isn't very successful.

I get the need to cover different market segments, but it's not like the Camaro is a halo vehicle for GM, and creating unique, limited market appeal cars seems like the wrong direction (in terms of creating better sales on the more mainstream model variants).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This has nothing to do about being a ford or loyal person. I just do not agree of the comparison between a na car and a fi car. I'd feel the same if they compared the gt500 vs 1le or z28.
This ↑↑↑ exactly.

They would either not ever race in the same class, or if thrown together with some attempt to equalize performance the FI car would be required to run an inlet restrictor and/or at a heavier minimum weight. In the first instance, there would be no wheel to wheel comparison. In the second, it wouldn't be the "run what ya brung and hope ya brung enough" kind of apples to oranges thing that trying to directly compare the GT350/350R V8/NA against the ZL1 1LE V8/FI would be.

No brand loyalty involved.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This new zl1 1LE does nothing for me. For one, this has got to be the dumbest named trim level. Doesn't roll off the tongue smoothly at all.
Carroll Shelby, on naming the Shelby mustang.

"If it's a good car, the name won't matter. If it's a bad car, the name won't save it"

Think about it.

Norm

Sponsored

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
This ↑↑↑ exactly.

They would either not ever race in the same class, or if thrown together with some attempt to equalize performance the FI car would be required to run an inlet restrictor and/or at a heavier minimum weight. In the first instance, there would be no wheel to wheel comparison. In the second, it wouldn't be the "run what ya brung and hope ya brung enough" kind of apples to oranges thing that trying to directly compare the GT350/350R V8/NA against the ZL1 1LE V8/FI would be.

No brand loyalty involved.

Norm
It sounds like you just made an argument against any comparison between stock cars and their respected lap times as any vehicle racing these sorts of events will not be stock and have modifications/restrictions.

Yea, sure, the ZL1 is supercharged but even if it weren't it'd still be subject to different regulations than a GT350 making a comparison of their stock performance useless since they wouldn't be racing stock.

Naturally aspirated or forced induction aside, since no one should be driving these cars to their absolute limits on the street and since any event where they will be raced safely they'll be modified there's no reason to measure their stock performance with respect to handling.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Many car buyers will compare the GT350 to the Zl1 because they are high performance road cars in the same price range. It has nothing to do with whether NA and FI are different breeds. It's called competition in the market place, no matter what Mustang fans think. I own a Mustang and think it's a great car. Camaro looks are subjective and I think their interior is puke ugly. I wouldn't buy one, but that doesn't mean the ZL1 and 350 don't compete in the market place. In the long run that's all that really matters.
Well, looking at sales numbers, it doesn't look good for Team Camaro in the area "that really matters". Camaro high performance variants produce impressive stats but nobody seems to want to buy them in any significant numbers.

I've said it before, the average person prefers the Mustang to the Camaro. Camaro will forever be an also-ran in the segment no matter what the performance margin is between the offerings.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I've said it before, the average person prefers the Mustang to the Camaro. Camaro will forever be an also-ran in the segment no matter what the performance margin is between the offerings.
I'm decidedly more pro-Mustang than I am pro-Camaro..but this isn't accurate.

The Camaro handily outsold the Mustang for the 2010-2014 MY's, and it outsold it many times in the past.

Does it have the absolute massive numbers that the Mustang has for its lifetime? No...the Mustang had a 2.5 model year head start and also has that whole 2002-2009 thing going on to help also.

If you're going to make a statement like that, it's best it be based on fact and not fact+emotion+bias.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The ZL1 is going to put an absolutely hurting on a non R. Like badly.
These kind of posts are where you Chivy guys really hit the mark. Spouting phrases that make it sound like one car is punching the other in the face. ;)

It should be interesting whether I see any of the new ZL1s at the track this coming year and how quick they/their drivers are. I'm sure driving a car with so much power - you will have to be careful to avoid burning up rear tires. Or leave all the computerized nannies in control.

I remember being at the track a couple years ago in my 2015 base GT. I passed a few 'vettes and I passed a ZL-1 Camaro a number of times. Do the magazines say that my car should have had "a hurting put on it"? Yep. Does that actually make it more fun passing a car that's "faster" than my car? Yep.

That's the thing you magazine racers don't get. When a car is fun to drive it's fun to drive. Am I a competitive person? Heck yeah! But I realize there's always someone faster. I'm not going to out drive the Viper ACR or some other high powered exotics, or even many of the home built rigs with racing slicks and power adders. But it's fun to go to the track and make laps in a car that sounds awesome, hooks well and has good power.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.