Sponsored

GT500 vs ZL1 (including 1LE) roadcourse

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I call BS on that ChevyTrend test. You honestly believe the heavier car with worse weight distribution, smaller tires, less sticky tires, and less downdorce gained all of it's time in the corners over the lighter, better weight distribution GT350R with far more aero, better and stickier and wider tires? -look it up, the ZL1 gained almost all of it's time in the sweeping corners, not the straights.
You're right. It's a conspiracy. They still picked the Ford but they wanted to show how the ZL1 beat it on the track.
Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The 500 will whoop the zl1. On the strip. On the track. Trim for trim.

The possibility very strongly exists that even the standard 500 beats the zl1 1le.

The 350R is the best NA track car of all NA mustangs and Camaros.

The 500 will be the best FI track car of all the Mustangs and Camaros.

It’s a brutal terror and is going to hurt serious feelings. Get some Kleenex ready.
Let's put a little wager on it. I think the GT500 will still be slower on a road course than a ZL1 1LE (on average). If it's not, I'll paypal you 5 bucks. Enough for a shake from In n Out you can take your mustang to :D

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Let's put a little wager on it. I think the GT500 will still be slower on a road course than a ZL1 1LE (on average). If it's not, I'll paypal you 5 bucks. Enough for a shake from In n Out you can take your mustang to :D
I'll take some of that action.:like:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The 500 will whoop the zl1. On the strip. On the track. Trim for trim.

The possibility very strongly exists that even the standard 500 beats the zl1 1le.
I think what will be really amazing, is if/when it does this with substantially better road manners.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
It's true that I haven't driven a ZLE. I'm not even sure what it is. I did have a ZL1 1LE whip by me at the track. It was much quicker than my GT350. They are fast cars and the tests show that they are a little faster than the GT350R. They have 125 HP more than the GT350R, but according to you that doesn't matter?

Won't the GT500 have larger tires than the GT350R? I thought it did.

I believe that logic says on larger tracks, HP has an impact. You are fooling yourself if you think you can add 200 HP and the car won't get faster. I bet you had a big smile on your face when you typed that.

And the ediff won't do much on the straights when the GT500 is walking away from the Camaro.
Wait how did i miss this! You admitted the ZL1 1LE is faster than the GT350R!!! You from all people who leaves Corvette ZO6’s in the rear mirror on the race track. I m glad you came to your senses.

We all know whatever the outcome of professional driver comparisons, the real world outcome will be dependent on the driver. GT500 should however, with all the time and development dedicated, smoke the ZL1 1LE no matter what. Chevy test their cars against the main competition(We saw the pictures of ZL1 being tested against GT350 like a while ago), there is no reason why Ford shouldn’t do the same thing unless its not possible and feasible with the current platform and budget.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I call BS on that ChevyTrend test. You honestly believe the heavier car with worse weight distribution, smaller tires, less sticky tires, and less downdorce gained all of it's time in the corners over the lighter, better weight distribution GT350R with far more aero, better and stickier and wider tires? -look it up, the ZL1 gained almost all of it's time in the sweeping corners, not the straights.
The MT test I watched the telemetry of showed the R picking up time in the corners but losing in the straights, just as expected. So I would expect that if the 500 can stay within a tick of the ZL1 in the corners it will likewise drive away in the straights.

It doesn't have to handle equally, it just has to hang in there until it can flex its power advantage.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wait how did i miss this! You admitted the ZL1 1LE is faster than the GT350R!!! You from all people who leaves Corvette ZO6’s in the rear mirror on the race track. I m glad you came to your senses.

We all know whatever the outcome of professional driver comparisons, the real world outcome will be dependent on the driver. GT500 should however, with all the time and development dedicated, smoke the ZL1 1LE no matter what. Chevy test their cars against the main competition(We saw the pictures of ZL1 being tested against GT350 like a while ago), there is no reason why Ford shouldn’t do the same thing unless its not possible and feasible with the current platform and budget.
I don't think I've ever said that the GT350R is faster than a ZL1 1LE. However, I still think that despite the 125 HP advantage the Camaro has, it would be a driver's race on many tracks. They are very close in that respect. So, no, I haven't come to my senses. I agree with what you are saying about real world. I'm glad you have come to your senses! :D

And no, I haven't passed multiple Z06 Corvettes. Just the one. I know that car was faster than my GT350 as well, but in the real world - that day - not so much.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If the base car is indeed going to be on Pilot Sport 4S's, it's not beating a ZL1 1LE around most road courses. The ZL1 1LE doesn't exactly have P Zero Nero's.....

I suspect the base GT500 will be within the 4000lb range easily. That weight plus Sport 4S's is going to be a severe penalty in corners, even high speed sweepers. The last thing you want to be doing is fighting the wheel at high speeds going around a bend. Every correction costs time and high sweepers have a huge margin for corrections. I'd imagine the Carbon Track car may be around mid to mid/low 3900's. With Cup 2's and less weight, the ZL1 1LE shouldn't be much of an issue at all.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I wondered why GM would produce a heavier duty version of the 10R than Ford does seeing as how the GT500 was on the radar. Seems the answer is that Ford had decided on the DCT long ago and knew there was no need for a stronger 10R.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The MT test I watched the telemetry of showed the R picking up time in the corners but losing in the straights, just as expected. So I would expect that if the 500 can stay within a tick of the ZL1 in the corners it will likewise drive away in the straights.

It doesn't have to handle equally, it just has to hang in there until it can flex its power advantage.
The R lost a massive amount of time in T1, T5 and T8, was almost identical in the long T2, and low speed T3&4. The R was almost identical to the ZR1 in acceleration from T5-T8, but was slower on the front straight.

The Rs superior grip, downforce, lower weight and better weight distribution should have killed the ZR1 in all the corners. Not just match, let alone lose significantly to it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...s-2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-review/amp/

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The DCT in the GT500 will still beat it.
DCT is beating 10 Speed Auto in regards to what? Shifting speed, MPG or you are saying the GT500 will beat the ZL1 1LE even with the auto?
Sponsored

Last edited: