ZL1 1LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

richtor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
You mean like the GT500 who was neck and neck with the ZL1 and then started falling behind in successive laps?

Sorry, both sides do the same tricks and report the best possible outcome and times.
Friend, I think you got this reversed.

https://www.*******************/for...on-track-at-homestead-6-30-2012.860621/page-5

Erik from Torq is a good dude. I also spoke with Paul from Torq extensively and we discussed cooling system modifications for the ZL1 to help it perform better the next time around. They'll be back and so will we..............

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
@ dron_jones

Yep, pretty apparent that the Mustang has outsold the Camaro pretty badly even excluding its 2ish year head start and the few recent years where the Camaro wasn't in production.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly

No I didn't.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2012/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-2013-shelby-gt500/

The Camaro, though, was faster in the corners and pulled higher g’s in nearly every turn. To our surprise, the cars were dead even exiting the final corner. The Mustang laid down the faster lap solely by virtue of its 82-horsepower, 75-lb-ft advantage in a drag race up the front straight to the finish line. The result: Shelby, 1:38.69; ZL1, 1:39.18.

But wait, there’s a catch. You see, Randy had another observation about the Shelby. “The brakes just don’t generate confidence. They’re not enough to stop this car on a racetrack. On the street, they’re probably fine. But the Camaro brakes do stop the car.”

While the Mustang was a half-second faster around the track than the ZL1 on its best lap, it couldn’t repeat the performance. By the end of the first lap, the brakes had already begun to heat up so badly, we could smell them from the pits as the car passed by on the front straight. By the end of the second lap, the Shelby had lost more than half of its advantage over the ZL1, turning a 1:39.03. By the third lap, the Mustang was behind the Camaro, turning a 1:39.30. The ZL1, meanwhile, never deviated by more than two-tenths of a second.

The problem, we suspect, is cooling. The Mustang is 234 pounds lighter than the Camaro and has larger front brakes, and while it has more power and more speed to deal with, it should stop better. In a single attempt, it does, stopping from 60 mph 7 feet shorter than the Camaro. At the track, though, Randy complained of serious fade. “Brakes lack bite, worse each lap,” he noted. “Feels like it doesn’t want to stop. Disconcerting.” We took a look under the cars, and where the Camaro had obvious ductwork to provide cool air to the front brakes, the Mustang had none.

So, yes, the Mustang turned a faster lap, but if it’s not repeatable, is it really a win? Find a 2.23-mile autocross and you might have something, but in any road race, the Mustang is going to quickly fall behind.
Heatsoak wasn't the issue with the GT500, brake fade was.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I'm decidedly more pro-Mustang than I am pro-Camaro..but this isn't accurate.

The Camaro handily outsold the Mustang for the 2010-2014 MY's, and it outsold it many times in the past.

Does it have the absolute massive numbers that the Mustang has for its lifetime? No...the Mustang had a 2.5 model year head start and also has that whole 2002-2009 thing going on to help also.

If you're going to make a statement like that, it's best it be based on fact and not fact+emotion+bias.
Like it or not, the camaro and Trans am always will lack mustang sales. The GM twins may have been lucky a few years but the mustang dominated the sales and still do.

richtor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
The hell are you talking about? Did you bother to actually read the story on that?
Yes I've read it. The brakes faded based on inadequate brake fluid when on the track. As you can see with Van and torq at homestead, van changed his 13's GT500 brake fluid to a race fluid and there was no brake fade. Van an experienced racer said the gt500 performed far better than he expected. With Torq zl1 experiencing bad heat soak after 2 laps.

Bottom line
Van and Torq were shocked the gt500 did so well on track.
Van and Torq were shocked the zl1 could not last on track.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I'm decidedly more pro-Mustang than I am pro-Camaro..but this isn't accurate.

The Camaro handily outsold the Mustang for the 2010-2014 MY's, and it outsold it many times in the past.

Does it have the absolute massive numbers that the Mustang has for its lifetime? No...the Mustang had a 2.5 model year head start and also has that whole 2002-2009 thing going on to help also.

If you're going to make a statement like that, it's best it be based on fact and not fact+emotion+bias.
It is based on facts. I never said that the Mustang outsold the Camaro every year, just that the Mustang is a more beloved model than the Camaro. And why was there a gap where no Camaros were built? Because nobody was buying them.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Depending on what source you use. The Mustang has out sold the Camaro by as many as 9 million units since their inception. That's a lotta love.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It is based on facts. I never said that the Mustang outsold the Camaro every year, just that the Mustang is a more beloved model than the Camaro. And why was there a gap where no Camaros were built? Because nobody was buying them.

All fact no brag

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Like it or not, the camaro and Trans am always will lack mustang sales. The GM twins may have been lucky a few years but the mustang dominated the sales and still do.

And with out competition gained more hp and a all new platform.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
And with out competition gained more hp and a all new platform.
And then was stagnant for 5 years.

Since the Camaro has come back there's been either a refresh or power bump as well as a generation change, and now another refresh and a power bump in 7 years.

The Camaro coming back is the best thing that has happened to the Mustang in the last 25 years. But by all means, keep bringing it up, you've already been warned by the moderators.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I found that Warning to be a little bizarre???:confused: No reason to be nice to a competing model. In a sales thread. When the competing model is getting it's ass kicked. Respecting forum members is one thing. But respecting Camaros on a Mustang forum? :shrug:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I found that Warning to be a little bizarre???:confused: No reason to be nice to a competing model. In a sales thread. When the competing model is getting it's ass kicked. Respecting forum members is one thing. But respecting Camaros on a Mustang forum? :shrug:
AMEN!!!

WHEN HELLS ABOUT TO ROCK!
WE SALUTE YOU!!:ford:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.