Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like I would have more fun in a less powerful car on track like an S2k or Miata than a numbers car like a top tier mustang or camaro since I would be able to get it closer to 10/10ths before fear of wrecking comes to play. Of course at the same time I would absolutely no trouble waving by a faster driver regardless of what make/model they are driving.
Oh for sure. I could have bought a Miata and a trailer to take it to the track, and have money to spare vs buying the 1LE.
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
It seems like what people(like you) don't get is that it doesn't matter what a professional driver can do in your kind of car when you show up to a race track.
It doesn’t have to be a pro driver! It can be me or you driving the ZL1 1LE and then hopping into GT350R and putting down 10 laps on each! I don’t think you are still getting it! You are stuck at the pro driver phenomenal for some reason! People use pro drivers just to explore the capabilities and limits of these cars. Thats the only purpose.

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
People use pro drivers just to explore the capabilities and limits of these cars. That's the only purpose.
Exactly. A pro driver, driving both cars, removes that variable from the testing process. It's the only way to achieve objective results, and compare the performance capabilities.

And objectively, the ZL1 and 1LE are faster than the GT350R. Facts are facts.

I do have a Miata track car that I trailer to the track. And I've passed a lot of expensive iron on track in it. Is it fun? Sure it is. But I don't believe my Miata is faster than that Porsche, 'Vette, whatever... 'cause it's not.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It doesn’t have to be a pro driver! It can be me or you driving the ZL1 1LE and then hopping into GT350R and putting down 10 laps on each! I don’t think you are still getting it! You are stuck at the pro driver phenomenal for some reason! People use pro drivers just to explore the capabilities and limits of these cars. Thats the only purpose.
The whole debate is about whether the performance difference between the cars is small or large. The Chevy guys are coming on here and saying that "THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT LEAGUES" or this car will "SPANK" that car.

I'm not debating that the ZL1 1LE is faster than the GT350R. I do however completely disagree with those that think "THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT LEAGUES".

IMO that's just silliness.

Hopefully we can meet up at a track day next year :like:

Only S550 I've run with in the same group waved me by immediately, then spun out a few laps later. Of course, I also got smoked through the back section of DCTC by a little S2k..
Yeah DCTC is a pretty small track, so it can be tough to use all the power in a big boaty car like the Mustang. I also hope to see you there some time. Actually BIR would be more fun IMO. I will get to DCTC next year, but I'm not sure what car I will bring.

The last time I was at DCTC I passed everyone in my group including the other GT350 that was on track. Do you think that his GT350 was IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE than mine?

I'm looking forward to getting to DCTC with my 150 hp (when new) Porsche. It has 170,000 miles on it now. I wonder how it will do? So far it really feels great in the corners.

There is no one denying that an A driver can be faster than a B driver even though his car have lower specs than the other or not even meant for serious track duty. In real world the Driver takes the cake. It makes you feel amazing passing those expensive or better on the paper cars. Nobody is denying this. Its a win.

However, if we are comparing performance and capabilities of two cars, putting the A and B drivers back into the equation is utterly stupid and what is more stupid is adding feelings or everyday drivability into the equation. This has nothing to do with feelings or daily drivability but track performance with the same person trying to put down better lap times consistently with both cars. Otherwise how can you distinguish the capabilities of two different vehicles? I mean if people still don’t get it , then I am out of words! I feel like talking to little kids here!
You are trying to change the discussion. I was objecting to people saying the cars aren't close in performance. I never said the Ford is faster than the Chevy. I said that the difference between them isn't that big.

In the real world - two cars on track always have different drivers.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
The whole debate is about whether the performance difference between the cars is small or large. The Chevy guys are coming on here and saying that "THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT LEAGUES" or this car will "SPANK" that car.

I'm not debating that the ZL1 1LE is faster than the GT350R. I do however completely disagree with those that think "THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT LEAGUES".

IMO that's just silliness.

Yeah DCTC is a pretty small track, so it can be tough to use all the power in a big boaty car like the Mustang. I also hope to see you there some time. Actually BIR would be more fun IMO. I will get to DCTC next year, but I'm not sure what car I will bring.

The last time I was at DCTC I passed everyone in my group including the other GT350 that was on track. Do you think that his GT350 was IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE than mine?

I'm looking forward to getting to DCTC with my 150 hp (when new) Porsche. It has 170,000 miles on it now. I wonder how it will do? So far it really feels great in the corners.

You are trying to change the discussion. I was objecting to people saying the cars aren't close in performance. I never said the Ford is faster than the Chevy. I said that the difference between them isn't that big.

In the real world - two cars on track always have different drivers.
Ok lets fix it. ZL1 1LE and GT350R are close in performance with different levels of drivers, so is any other car which can endure some laps around a track without breaking down.

ZL1 1LE and GT350R are not close in performance and they are in a totally different league with the same professional driver onboard who can push these cars to their absolute maximum limits! There i fixed it for you :)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ok lets fix it. ZL1 1LE and GT350R are close in performance with different levels of drivers, so is any other car which can endure some laps around a track without breaking down.

ZL1 1LE and GT350R are not close in performance and they are in a totally different league with the same professional driver onboard who can push these cars to their absolute maximum limits! There i fixed it for you :)
100% disagree.

And several reviewers have said they would prefer the GT350R over the Chev. The Mustang has a better chassis and it's just a better car. The Mustang is more fun and easier to drive fast. The Mustang is more fun to daily drive, which is how most of us would use it.

They are close in performance in the hands of a pro. In amateur hands, who knows which will be faster? Depends on who got more sleep the night before, who changed their tires or brakes most recently, etc.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
100% disagree.

And several reviewers have said they would prefer the GT350R over the Chev. The Mustang has a better chassis and it's just a better car. The Mustang is more fun and easier to drive fast. The Mustang is more fun to daily drive, which is how most of us would use it.

They are close in performance in the hands of a pro. In amateur hands, who knows which will be faster? Depends on who got more sleep the night before, who changed their tires or brakes most recently, etc.
I have one question for you to end this debate. Do you drive a GT350?
100% disagree.

Lol you drive a GT350 go figure! ZL1 is a better fit for daily not the 1LE version. We are not discussing the everyday drivability. Chassis still goes to ZL1 due to Alpha Platform and camaro putting butt load of torque to the ground well. Fun and easier drivability depends on the user. My favorite color is blue but for others its different. I am glad you really love your car to death. Love is blind they say, and you prove that right! There is absolutely nothing wrong defending your purchase.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I'm not getting into the whole league discussion. I don't have enough cash to get to the point where I can drive cars like these at 10/10's and not worry about what happens if I lose it.. and I think the only place where you could tell one was better than the other is at 10/10's. I do think it's been pretty universally said that the Camaro has the better chassis, though :angel:

Last time at DCTC no one could come close to me, even the other 1LE that showed up :fistbump:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Not sure if this counts or not.

Those aren't carbon wheels and there's no wing. Therefore a GT350R as never been to the ring. Just an early test car with 3-pc forgelines, random spoilers, canards, etc...

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Those aren't carbon wheels and there's no wing. Therefore a GT350R as never been to the ring. Just an early test car with 3-pc forgelines, random spoilers, canards, etc...
What is your excuse on this one then?

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-times-historical-data

Best Time by Porsche 911 GT2 RS 2:37.8
ZL1 1LE Lap Time 2:45.7
GT350R Lap Time 2:51.8

Give it up already. You have nothing to prove you are right while the evidence is solid and against you.

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Practice & breeding, are both important. Some people are just born with ability to drive as it relates to "eye & hand or brain. Being skilled enough to judge distances is one example. My passengers say I drive on the edge, as I can "see" when I can make a turn in front of an oncoming car into an address. I hit apex well and can judge well into the future of my drive what course to take. I enjoy the twisty's and treat my country drives as if I am on a track for practice. Nice driving and I shared the video to my FB custom car concepts page. Thanks.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have one question for you to end this debate. Do you drive a GT350?

Lol you drive a GT350 go figure! ZL1 is a better fit for daily not the 1LE version. We are not discussing the everyday drivability. Chassis still goes to ZL1 due to Alpha Platform and camaro putting butt load of torque to the ground well. Fun and easier drivability depends on the user. My favorite color is blue but for others its different. I am glad you really love your car to death. Love is blind they say, and you prove that right! There is absolutely nothing wrong defending your purchase.
You should buy a ZL1 1LE. I hear they are going under MSRP, because they are such a great car.

I don't know what the GT350R drives like. But I do know that most professional reviewers have said that if you drive the R you won't want to settle for a regular GT350. So I realize my car is quite a bit different than the GT350R.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
You should buy a ZL1 1LE. I hear they are going under MSRP, because they are such a great car.

I don't know what the GT350R drives like. But I do know that most professional reviewers have said that if you drive the R you won't want to settle for a regular GT350. So I realize my car is quite a bit different than the GT350R.
I will never go for the ZL1 1LE since the car is not even close to being friendly on the streets. A slightly used tech packaged GT350, manual ZL1 or SS 1LE would be my picks. No auto for me either. I understand the autos are fast but it will never replace the fun and engagement of a stick shift and clutch control.

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just wanted to add the comfy, cushy street version. For perspective.

I will concede that 1.7 sec around VIR is "close". 6 seconds is not.
I almost agreed with you, but then I looked at the lap time and thought about it for a second. 6 seconds out of 3 minutes isn't very much. Just a longer track produces longer times.
Sponsored